Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
What Can you not get in Israel that people ask u to bring ?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 5:10 am
Sure, they have lots of these products in Israel now. But at three times the price.
Why pay $10 for something here when my sister can throw a jumbo size of it from Costco in her suitcase for $4?

abound

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 5:16 am
onion powder that does not clump, you could find it sometimes, but not regularly

Iymnok

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 5:21 am
Onion powder does not clump in my airtight container.

Raisin

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 5:30 am
My daughter always asked me to send her or would take back with her if she had space: a couple of particular cereals, washing pods, tea, and english cheese. (chedder etc) Of course you can get all those things in Israel, but not exactly the same, and she was not in the centre of Israel. Some Israeli cheeses and cereals are better, no doubt. When she came home she bought tons of different things (halva, chocolate, kariot cereal, spices) we can't get here but we live OOT where we can't buy very much anyway.

She takes the same things with her to the USA now she is studying there (not the laundry pods) so its not about Isreal, its the things she is used to.

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 5:59 am
Elfrida wrote:
I don't think so. Making aliyah means being prepared to embrace a whole new lifestyle. Ordering items from Amazon is hardly the biggest consideration. Especially when you realize that you can't just order and have things turn up the next day. They take time to arrive and then have to be picked up from the post office. In my case that means that if an item arrives on Sunday, it will probably sit at the post office until Friday when I have time to collect it.

The most an Amazon delivery can do is grease the wheels somewhat. It's a nice luxury, but I can't see the option to order school supplies or whatever as the decisive factor in making aliyah. Eretz Yisrael is much greater than that.

Amazon delivers to your door now. Takes about 10-14 days.
I moved here long before Amazon existed, so I never experienced the American version. What we have now is great. I order clothes, good umbrellas, random stuff that I dont feel like going to the stores for.

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 7:13 am
Not sure about now but years ago a friend would ask me to bring blueberry pie filling. Apparently there are no blueberries in Israel.

essie14

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 7:50 am
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
Not sure about now but years ago a friend would ask me to bring blueberry pie filling. Apparently there are no blueberries in Israel.

Stores in areas with olim (eg: Jerusalem, Raanana, Bet Shemesh) all import American canned pie fillings (cherry, blueberry, pumpkin, apple).
And now fresh blueberries are being imported from Chile!

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 8:04 am
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:

No fresh blueberries here (it's not the right climate to grow). But you can buy them frozen in any random supermarket all over the country.

chanchy123

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 8:13 am
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
No fresh blueberries here (it's not the right climate to grow). But you can buy them frozen in any random supermarket all over the country.

You can get fresh blueberries here, but they're seasonal. Maybe not in every store but in larger ones.

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 9:52 am
Ooommmgggg all you Israelis appreciate it!!

I miss EY so much it hurts. Please, breathe int the air every second and have me in mind.

As for the food, nothing in America can compare to Israeli falafels,kafeh hafuch, and chocolate milk in a bag.
Heart Heart

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 9:58 am
Medicines that are over the counter in the US but need a prescription in Israel.

Rappel

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 10:00 am
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
Medicines that are over the counter in the US but need a prescription in Israel.

Like what? *Confused

Last edited by Rappel on Thu, Jan 23 2020, 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 10:00 am
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
Ooommmgggg all you Israelis appreciate it!!

I miss EY so much it hurts. Please, breathe int the air every second and have me in mind.

As for the food, nothing in America can compare to Israeli falafels,kafeh hafuch, and chocolate milk in a bag.
Heart Heart

Just because you miss it and enjoy buying your dairy products in bags, I have to appreciate all the inconveniences, overpriced items, and goods that I have to beg relatives to shlep in for me? Um, okay.

Rappel

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 10:02 am
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
Just because you miss it and enjoy buying your dairy products in bags, I have to appreciate all the inconveniences, overpriced items, and goods that I have to beg relatives to shlep in for me? Um, okay.

Lol. If I hand you a half-full glass, will you pour it over my head?

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 10:09 am
amother [ Gray ] wrote:

No you have to appreciate living in a Jewish country, where the air and ground is holy and you are minutes/hours away from the holiest spot on earth; and you can go there to pray whenever you want.

The delicious food is side point that you don't have to agree with me on.

And I'm sure the inconveniences are difficult.

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 10:24 am
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
No you have to appreciate living in a Jewish country, where the air and ground is holy and you are minutes/hours away from the holiest spot on earth; and you can go there to pray whenever you want.

The delicious food is side point that you don't have to agree with me on.

And I'm sure the inconveniences are difficult.

I do appreciate it. That's why I chose to live and raise a family here, despite whatever inconveniences.
But sitting in America and telling people who live here to oooommmmggggggggg appreciate it because you miss it is a bit strange.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 10:37 am
There's nothing wrong with saying you miss Israel. Israel is out eternal, ancestral home. If you had to leave for whatever reason, of course you are going to miss it!

I miss certain spices, and so those are the things I bring back, as well as canned enchilada sauce. Other than that, I can't think of a single thing that I can't get here, or order online.

I think that people miss food, not so much because it reminds them of being back in their home country, but more of just the fact that it's a comfort thing. Familiar tastes are a very powerful thing to have, especially when you are feeling stressed and want to nurture yourself. It's like remembering mom's pot roast or chicken soup, it just makes you feel warm inside. Not really anything about not appreciating Israel, or wanting to go back.

I'm currently a bit annoyed that not only can I not find lime leaf here, I can't find limes, and the merkolet doesn't even have concentrated lime juice in a bottle. It's not the end of the world though.

I'm going to live, because I found LEMONGRASS! I set some aside to see if I can get it to root, and I'll plant it in the garden. The rest is going into my Yom Tum Gai chicken soup (spicy Thai soup with coconut cream, chicken, and mushrooms.)

Aylat

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 10:41 am
Cadbury's hot chocolate powder.
And raisins, because the ones in this climate need to be checked which I can't be bothered doing and imported are expensive.

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 10:44 am
Aylat wrote:
Cadbury's hot chocolate powder.
And raisins, because the ones in this climate need to be checked which I can't be bothered doing and imported are expensive.

Its kosher? I've always wondered.

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 11:24 am
Rappel wrote:
Like what? *Confused

Antibiotic cream (Neosporin), for example.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics