Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Is the Pursuit of Pleasure Encouraged by Torah?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

ForeverYoung

Post Thu, Nov 04 2004, 5:43 pm
as far as my hebrew goes, daas does not mean application Confused

gryp

Post Thu, Nov 04 2004, 7:01 pm
the Tanya explains the difference between chochma, bina, and daas. "Application" is a kind of summarized explanation of how the Tanya explains it.

The long explanation is that Chochma is the first tiny second of inspiration, binah is when that inspiration is explained well, a drawn out understanding, and daas is when this understanding is further developed, and you are able to apply it to different things.

Chochma and Bina are also considered the parents (av v'am), and daas is the offspring.

ForeverYoung

Post Thu, Nov 04 2004, 7:06 pm
so daas is understanding that leads to practical action?

gryp

Post Thu, Nov 04 2004, 9:08 pm
it could lead to practical action but not necessarily so.

gryp

Post Sat, Nov 06 2004, 10:21 pm
Motek wrote:
RG - yoshon is not something observed in Chabad, as far as I know, the pkgs. just come that way

yup, I just asked. The Rebbe said once at a farbrengen that we dont keep yashan/chadash because 1)some say it only applies in Israel 2)most of the products are made with wheat from previous years anyway. its not a common thing to use this years wheat...

I stand corrected...

ForeverYoung

Post Sun, Nov 07 2004, 2:53 pm
Quote:
most of the products are made with wheat from previous years anyway. its not a common thing to use this years wheat..

this doesn't apply anymore, since America sold it's wheat stores to Russia at some point.
Sometime after SHavuos Hodosh enters the market.

and it's not only wheat, it's also barley, spelt, oats. (the minim of Erez Yisroel) and derivatives: malt, wheat germs, alcohol, farina, dough conditioners, etc.

Keeping Yoshon is not so difficult, but you have to know what, when & where to buy it.

Motek

Post Mon, Nov 08 2004, 7:53 pm
The children of Rabbi Shmuel of Lubavitch, five-year-old Sholom DovBer and his brother Zalman Aharon were debating the difference between a Jew and a non-Jew. Zalman Aharon, the elder by a year and four months, argued that the Jews are a "wise and understanding people" who could, and do, study lots of Torah, both its 'revealed part' and its mystical secrets, and pray with devotion and 'd'vaikus', attachment to G-d.

Said the young Sholom DovBer: But this is true only of those Jews who learn and pray. What of Jews who are unable to study and who do not pray with d'vaikus? What is their specialness over a non-Jew?

Zalman Aharon did not know what to reply.

The children's sister, Devorah Leah, ran to tell their father of their argument. Rabbi Shmuel called them over, and sent the young Sholom DovBer to summon Ben-Zion, a servant in the Rebbe's home.

Ben-Zion was a simple Jew who read Hebrew with many mispronunciations and barely understood the easy words of the prayers. Every day he would recite the entire book of Psalms, pray with the congregation, and make sure to be present in the synagogue when Ein Yaakov was studied.

When the servant arrived, the Rebbe asked him: "Ben-Zion, did you eat?"

Ben-Zion: "Yes".

The Rebbe: "Did you eat well?"

Ben-Zion: "What's well? Thank G-d, I was sated."

The Rebbe: "And why do you eat?"

Ben-Zion: "So that I may live"

The Rebbe: "But why live?"

Ben-Zion: "To be a Jew and do what G-d wants." The servant sighed.

The Rebbe: "You may go. Send me Ivan the coachman."

Ivan was a gentile who had grown up among Jews from early childhood and spoke a perfect Yiddish.

When the coachman arrived, the Rebbe asked him: "Did you eat today?"

"Yes".

"Did you eat well?"

"Yes"

"And why do you eat?"

"So that I may live"

"But why live?"

"To take a swig of vodka and have a bite to eat," replied the coachman.

"You may go," said the Rebbe.

ForeverYoung

Post Mon, Nov 08 2004, 8:11 pm
Quote:

Ben-Zion: "To be a Jew and do what G-d wants."

however, one cannot do what G-d wants if he doesn't learn about it.
(Catch 22?)

Lehavdil, but this is what Yishmoel is about. The deside what G-d wants & than go and do it!!!!

In olden days people were pure in heart, even if not-so-perfect on the outside. Their physical ailments were a prove to that - they were healthy, and, lo aleiny, died from flu, pneumonia - a sudden assult form outside.

Today people make a pretty face, but are rotten inside - look, aids - a seemingly healthy person, but a little cold touches it - and the outer shell fails to reveal the rotten core - and the entire structure collapces. Same goes for canser - it's a disiase that srtikes forom inside.
(It doesn't meen that people who get them are bad, it is just the reflection on the spiritual state of the world)

Quote:
But this is true only of those Jews who learn and pray. What of Jews who are unable to study and who do not pray with d'vaikus? What is their specialness over a non-Jew?

Every Jew has a neshama and a tremendeous potential to achieve greateness. It is up to us to use it or not. And if use it, than how.

Tefila

Post Mon, Nov 08 2004, 8:16 pm
Motek
Quote:
Rabbi Shmuel called them over, and sent the young Sholom DovBer to summon Ben-Zion, a servant in the Rebbe's home.

As parents who would even think never mind do what Rabbi shmuel did?!
They invested everything into their kids, emotional, physical and spiritual that even when they were 'Busy' they stopped listened and put into action what they wanted to teach their children.
Halavay I should learn even one thing from them.
What about the story1. how the Lubavitcher Rebbe at 21/2yrs climbed out of the crib to join his fathers minyan for mincha. And 2.when a Rebbe at a young age wanted an apple so made a bracha and had to have it . This was applauded by their parents!
Lets just close our eyes and pretend well if it was my child I would say in story1. you should get back to bed it is past your bedtime. Not realize how special they were at that moment
or story2. If my kid made a bracha when I said no to some food well I would consider it chutzpah and if under Bar mitzvah tell them to say boruch Shem etc.
They saw the good and innocence in everything even if they were busy, tired etc
One thing we do implement in our house is noone is ever bad even for a moment. My friend calls her kids my tzadikle or neshamala instead of other expressions etc

CS

Post Mon, Nov 08 2004, 11:25 pm
Yael - you said it perfectly.

Motek

Post Fri, Nov 12 2004, 10:09 am
Yael? where did she say what perfectly?

Quote:
The Chasid R’ Mordechai Horodoker related: The first aphorism we heard from the Alter Rebbe when we arrived in Liozna was: "What is forbidden, is forbidden and what is permitted, is unnecessary." For some three or four years we labored with this until we integrated it into the various aspects of our lives. Only then did we enter for yechidus to ask for a path in avoda. (HaYom Yom, Adar II 25.)

the Ha'Yom Yom is a book of aphorisms and instructions with a daily message for every day of the year, compiled by the Lubavitcher Rebbe

what do you think our children should make of this particular Ha'Yom Yom, (if) when they hear it in school?

Rivka

Post Wed, Nov 17 2004, 12:49 pm
This thread just sounds to me like a who's better than who.
Everyone is different otherwise there would be no point in being alive.
Second the original message on this one was something like can we enjoy life or do we have to have a damper on it.
Everyone to their own, life is bad enough why make it worse.
Talking about taking care of yourself the Rambam speaks about that and it is our duty to look after ourselves coz then someone will come up with if we aren't meant to enjoy pleasures why are we having hot baths/showers a cold one will do.
We have to enjoy what we are doing, if we don't enjoy it why would we enjoy keeping stuff? We are all human and if we don't enjoy what we are doing we just won't do it, plus you are all giving great wonderful examples from people who lived a few hundred years back, truth is coz our society is so different we cannot be the same as them, we have to deal with our times and in some ways we have it a lot harder.

Tefila

Post Wed, Nov 17 2004, 7:50 pm
Rivka
Quote:
wonderful examples from people who lived a few hundred years back, truth is coz our society is so different we cannot be the same as them

They can still be our ideals, and remember they too were created human not malachim... I believe!

Motek

Post Thu, Nov 18 2004, 11:47 am
Rivka: how are you suggesting that we observe the mitzva of Kedoshim Tihiyu which is explained to mean to restrict that which is permissible?

Quote:
We have to enjoy what we are doing

mitzvos?

eating cheesecake?

eating cheesecake l'sheim shomayim (for the sake of heaven)?

Quote:
we have to deal with our times and in some ways we have it a lot harder.

true, but the same 613 mitzvos apply to all people in all times

Tefila

Post Thu, Nov 18 2004, 12:24 pm
Quote:
the same 613 mitzvos apply to all people in all times

8) That one sentence sums up 'every 'or almost all our threads up Very Happy

Motek

Post Thu, Nov 18 2004, 12:28 pm
it does?

hmmm ... can you elaborate on that please?

Tefila

Post Thu, Nov 18 2004, 12:46 pm
Quote:
hmmm ... can you elaborate on that please?

Think about it .... and remember I said most Not all

ForeverYoung

Post Thu, Nov 18 2004, 2:06 pm
I like what Rivka wrote.
In any case, the question was: "Is the Pursuit of Pleasure Encouraged by Torah?"

I tink, the answer is not fot the sake of pleasure as end goal.
but to increase simha & elevate the spirit - yes.

and than it's up to each of us to apply it to ourselves on our level

gryp

Post Thu, Nov 18 2004, 8:40 pm
ForeverYoung wrote:
but to increase simcha & elevate the spirit - yes.

do you mean to increase the simcha you have from gashmiyus things? ie., food, etc.
what do you mean "elevate the spirit?" maybe "the spiritual?"
do these things go together? how can you elevate the spiritual when increasing in simcha of gashmiyus?

ForeverYoung

Post Thu, Nov 18 2004, 8:51 pm
yom tov, shabbos, hasuna - gashmius in ruchniuys.
a balance is the key
Page 3 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics