Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Hard to pronounce names- Yechezkel
Previous  1  2

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 6:31 pm
My son is Yechezkel.
On his birth certificate we put chezky because that’s what we call him.
Non Jewish people our house that can’t pronounce the ch say it as in chess. He’s fine with that we’re fine with that.

You can also do ezzy or zeke or ezky for short if you know it’s easier to pronounce.

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 6:42 pm
We had a bochur who used to sleep at our house named Yecheskel with the nickname Cheskel. DH used to joke and call him Cheskel (with a ch like in chess). Our kids were shocked when someone referred to him as Cheskel with the correct pronunciation because they thought the real name was Cheskel and spelled tes shin lol.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 6:45 pm
My name is Nechama. I find it super annoying when people can't pronounce my name and it becomes a whole big deal with me having to spell it out.
I'ts so much easier when everyone can pronounce your name.

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 8:47 pm
Give him the meaningful name only. On his birth cert you can do a nickname. Kelly the Irish boy version would also work or c.k. just initials, or lots of others with similar letters. Someone just named their kid Sssst. It is pronounced " 4-est". Don't worry, it will work out.

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 9:39 pm
We named our son Yechiel Yaakov after a relative and we intended to call him Yaakov because it's much easier to pronounce. We even reversed the names to Yaakov Yechiel on his birth certificate so he wouldn't go through life having to use a different name legally than what he goes by the rest of the time.

Ha! Joke was on us because the older kids started calling him Yechiel and the rest of the family followed along even though I tried to correct them to use Yaakov. So now Yechiel stuck and no one who isn't frum can pronounce it. My son calls himself Chiel for now, so that's kind of become his nickname.

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 11:19 pm
I have a hard to pronounce Jewish name that always get butchered. I don’t mind it anymore but it made me very uncomfortable. I used to wish I had an English name on my birth certificate. I think it’s harder when family members can’t pronounce it that strangers. If you choose to put a different name on the birth certificate, it doesn’t have to be the equivalent (but please don’t name your son Kelly).

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 11:35 pm
It's so funny how people see things differently. I also have a Hebrew name that gets butchered, but as a kid I always kind of looked down on their inability to learn how to pronounce it, and as an adult, I don't really care. My married last name is no better, got a ches in there too! Sometimes I'll just tell people to call me by my initials.

I don't factor in strangers' inability to say the name when choosing one for my children. If they ever really find it difficult, they'll just have to be "Yerachmiel call me Rocky."

I feel like it's such a small part of life (having to deal with strangers that read your name on a legal document before you can introduce yourself) that it's not worth worrying about. In most cases, you can introduce yourself however you want - you don't have to say, "My legal name is Chaviva, but you can call me Vivi." You just say, "Hi, I'm Vivi." In resumes, etc. you can always write "Chaviva (Vivi) Ecklerstein." Even in the doctor's office, at the first visit you can have them write down whatever nickname you want. So for the DMV and the IRS I should change my name? No thanks.

amother
Brunette

Post Fri, Feb 07 2020, 12:03 am
A lot of people named Yechezkal go by the english name Charles

amother
Seagreen

Post Fri, Feb 07 2020, 12:26 am
I know a chezky who is really chizkiya, and English name is Alan SmileI

I know a yerucham who introduced himself to nonJews as Jerry, chaim becomes Charlie...

Iymnok

Post Fri, Feb 07 2020, 3:30 am
I know two Yerschmiels who sometimes go by Rocky.

amother
Scarlet

Post Fri, Feb 07 2020, 4:38 am
There are nicknames for every kind of name.

What I don't get is the fixation on ensuring that an "easy-to-pronounce" nickname not only EXISTS, but is legally formalized, before agreeing to give a Jewish name to a child.

Who exactly are we afraid will mispronounce their name?

The doctor? Just say, "Call him Rocky." So what if it says Yerachmiel on his birth certificate?
His co-workers? He can introduce himself however he wants.
The same with just about any person he maintains ongoing interactions with in his life. There is no legal or social requirement to introduce yourself by the name on your driver's license.

Think about all the men who introduce themselves as "Bob," even though most probably their legal name is Robert.

Who addresses you by the name on your legal documentation, without giving you a chance to say your name first? A bank teller? A police officer? So we're giving him a name to protect some anonymous bank teller in his future, who would probably mangle his last name too?

nchr

Post Fri, Feb 07 2020, 7:06 am
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
There are nicknames for every kind of name.

What I don't get is the fixation on ensuring that an "easy-to-pronounce" nickname not only EXISTS, but is legally formalized, before agreeing to give a Jewish name to a child.

Who exactly are we afraid will mispronounce their name?

The doctor? Just say, "Call him Rocky." So what if it says Yerachmiel on his birth certificate?
His co-workers? He can introduce himself however he wants.
The same with just about any person he maintains ongoing interactions with in his life. There is no legal or social requirement to introduce yourself by the name on your driver's license.

Think about all the men who introduce themselves as "Bob," even though most probably their legal name is Robert.

Who addresses you by the name on your legal documentation, without giving you a chance to say your name first? A bank teller? A police officer? So we're giving him a name to protect some anonymous bank teller in his future, who would probably mangle his last name too?

OP said she is specifically concerned about FAMILY which is quite reasonable. Not sure how you got to a doctor, bank teller or police officer. Regardless, Jews have been giving vernacular names for 100s of years (some times due to the law) and I personally prefer an English name for many reasons, but that is me.
I believe English names are also more common amongst Chassidim, especially for boys, than amongst the Yeshivish crowd.

amother
Yellow

Post Fri, Feb 07 2020, 7:38 am
Introducing your name as rocky or pinnny or a variety of acceptable frum nicknames when you are interviewing g for a high level job just doesn't sound very professional. Sorry. It sounds weird. If you haven't worked in a certain type of workplace you may just be unaware of how strange certain things seem to others. Or if you have mostly lived in very diverse (Jewish) places like NYC.
Ive read articles about studies how very unusual names (certain traditional African American names for example have worked against people in the job marketplace) and I fully believe it.
I find it weird how judgmental people get over the choice of giving secular names. Why do you care if someone gives their daughter Nechama the secular name Nancy on her birth certificate?
ETA since so many people keep extolling the nickname rocky...the first thing that will come to most secular people's minds will be either the cartoon dog from Rocky and Bullwinkle. Or the character from the boxing movie Rocky. Again not the best way to give a professional first impression

mammale

Post Fri, Feb 07 2020, 8:19 am
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
My son is Yechezkel.
On his birth certificate we put chezky because that’s what we call him.
Non Jewish people our house that can’t pronounce the ch say it as in chess. He’s fine with that we’re fine with that.

You can also do ezzy or zeke or ezky for short if you know it’s easier to pronounce.

Love the name Ezzy!

STMommy

Post Fri, Feb 07 2020, 8:39 am
another variant of Yechezkel like Kel

Ezzy is OK too but I feel like it's short for Ezra

amother
Salmon

Post Fri, Feb 07 2020, 8:57 am
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
Give him the meaningful name only. On his birth cert you can do a nickname. Kelly the Irish boy version would also work or c.k. just initials, or lots of others with similar letters. Someone just named their kid Sssst. It is pronounced " 4-est". Don't worry, it will work out.

Poor kid, I wonder if his last name is Wrigleysp-- pronounced Gum-p.

I like the sound of Zeke rather than Zach. It's less common and has a vintage feel but in a good way. I don't think it matters that it blends into your last name.

amother
White

Post Fri, Feb 07 2020, 10:35 am
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
Introducing your name as rocky or pinnny or a variety of acceptable frum nicknames when you are interviewing g for a high level job just doesn't sound very professional. Sorry. It sounds weird. If you haven't worked in a certain type of workplace you may just be unaware of how strange certain things seem to others. Or if you have mostly lived in very diverse (Jewish) places like NYC.
Ive read articles about studies how very unusual names (certain traditional African American names for example have worked against people in the job marketplace) and I fully believe it.
I find it weird how judgmental people get over the choice of giving secular names. Why do you care if someone gives their daughter Nechama the secular name Nancy on her birth certificate?
ETA since so many people keep extolling the nickname rocky...the first thing that will come to most secular people's minds will be either the cartoon dog from Rocky and Bullwinkle. Or the character from the boxing movie Rocky. Again not the best way to give a professional first impression

I couldn't agree with you more.

I think much depends on how one interacts with the secular world and how one envisions how your children will.

Why limit your children's ability to move about with minimal difficulty. This isn't just true for "Jewish" difficult names but for other ethnicities. In our society, people will make quick assumptions based on a name or a resume submitted. The reality is that Shlomo is going to be perceived differently than Samuel for example.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 4:30 pm
mammale wrote:
Love the name Ezzy!

OP here- DH is israeli and says Ezzy sounds like goat to him lol. I liked it! But fair point for him.

CatLady

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 4:52 pm
If you're choosing a nickname as an alternative to a secular name, please choose one that is more or less mainstream. Calling Pinchas "Pinny" is not resonant to the Anglo ear. Why not something more recognizable like Finn? Yechezkiel could call himself Chaz or Zeke. But pleasepleaseplease not Kelly - it's either an Irish last name of a girl's name.

farm

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 5:32 pm
2 factors- the indisputable fact that an intimidating/ethnic name is a hinderance in any future secular venue he will encounter (doctors, college, jobs) and your family that will have a hard time pronouncing and therefore relating to his name.
I vote you put yechezkel plus the secular name on his birth certificate so that he and you always have either option rather than forcing one direction or the other. So ‘Yechezkel Zeke’ for example, as the legal name. Or even reverse the order if you prefer. That way you leave the options open.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names