Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Do you wear shoes at home?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Do you wear shoes at home?
Yes  
 17%  [ 52 ]
No  
 42%  [ 122 ]
I wear slippers  
 40%  [ 116 ]
Total Votes : 290

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 6:14 am
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
But some people are makpid never to t walk around without shoes or slippers because it's something ppl in Aveilus do.

DD hates wearing shoes, and takes them off the second she gets indoors, regardless of where she is. We were at a friend's house once, and the husband (who is a rabbi) got upset when she took off her shoes because of the similarity to aveilus.

A few months later we were by them for one of the Pesach seders, and this came up "G‑d specified how they should dress at this meal: “And this is how you shall eat it: with your waist belted, your shoes on your feet, your staff in your hand, and you shall eat it in haste.”

So this begs the question - Jewish women cover their hair as derived from the Sotah. Therefore, wouldn't one wear shoes at the seder because that is what is generally done in Jewish homes?

The rabbi had no answer for that.

nchr

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 6:48 am
We wear house shoes. The kids wear crocs. Crocs do not scuff my floors.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 7:57 am
nchr wrote:
We wear house shoes. The kids wear crocs. Crocs do not scuff my floors.
What does that even look like? My floors here in Israel are stone, but even growing up in america with wooden floors, I dont remember the floors getting all yucked up from shoes, ever.

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 8:08 am
My husband does me and the kids mostly don't. I don't enforce strict rules about it. My neighbor who's kids wear shoes 100% of the time has to wash her floors so much more often than me.

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 8:30 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
DD hates wearing shoes, and takes them off the second she gets indoors, regardless of where she is. We were at a friend's house once, and the husband (who is a rabbi) got upset when she took off her shoes because of the similarity to aveilus.

A few months later we were by them for one of the Pesach seders, and this came up "G‑d specified how they should dress at this meal: “And this is how you shall eat it: with your waist belted, your shoes on your feet, your staff in your hand, and you shall eat it in haste.”

So this begs the question - Jewish women cover their hair as derived from the Sotah. Therefore, wouldn't one wear shoes at the seder because that is what is generally done in Jewish homes?

On the contrary. That passuk proves that shoes were only worn for travel. The halacha is that they had to eat the original korban Pesach in a state of readiness to leave, with their belts tied, shoes on their feet and stick in hand.
We can extrapolate from there that shoes were generally only worn for travel, and NOT in the home.
Those halachos, btw, were only applicable for the first pesach and dont apply to subsequent Pesach seders.

nchr

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 8:32 am
smile4ever wrote:
I've been wanting to implement this in my home for a while now. My question is where are the other shoes kept? Do you have room for multiple pairs of shoes for each person near the door? Are shoes kept in bedrooms, but carried there at a later put in time? Shabbos shoes, heels, sneakers etc...

Shoes are taken off at the door and replaced with slippers with a rubber sole only or crocs (to protect the floors). Then shoes are carried to the appropriate room for adults or left in the mud room on a shoe rack for kids (since they wear the same shoes to school). I have my guests put on booties (to cover their shoes) if I know them well enough.Otherwise, I wouldn't say anything but guests see that multiple size crocs and the booties are available in the mudroom closet and can decide for themselves.

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 8:45 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
What does that even look like? My floors here in Israel are stone, but even growing up in america with wooden floors, I dont remember the floors getting all yucked up from shoes, ever.

My parents wood flooring gets scuffed from men's shoes. It comes off but it's ugly and annoying.

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 8:47 am
smile4ever wrote:
I've been wanting to implement this in my home for a while now. My question is where are the other shoes kept? Do you have room for multiple pairs of shoes for each person near the door? Are shoes kept in bedrooms, but carried there at a later put in time? Shabbos shoes, heels, sneakers etc...

We have a nice rack meant for an entry way. Yes, the kids have room for a few pairs each. Dh and I keep fewer pairs there and the rest in our closet.

Chloe22

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 9:34 am
I wear crocs (in a tie dye pattern). I wish I could wear crocs everywhere. They're so comfortable!

nchr

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 10:01 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:

This is my floor. I will remove the picture after you see it because no one needs to see my kitchen on a public forum lol. It just looks horrible after shoes (not rubber) touch it and can also become permanently damaged so...

Last edited by nchr on Sun, Feb 06 2022, 8:49 am; edited 1 time in total

aliavi

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 10:10 am
smile4ever wrote:

We have a small closet and use a hanging door organizer. It doesn’t fit every pair or boots but the most used pairs fit in one.

aliavi

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 10:12 am
nchr wrote:
This is my floor. I will remove the picture after you see it because no one needs to see my kitchen on a public forum lol. It just looks horrible after shoes (not rubber) touch it and can also become permanently damaged so...

[img]4[/img]

Beautiful kitchen with appealing decor. Well done.

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 10:17 am
FranticFrummie wrote:

I’m not makpid on feet covering for something like Asher Yotzar but for saying Tehillim or davening my feet are for sure not bare. Except for Shabbos we remove shoes.

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 10:27 am
I grew up with never not wearing shoes or slippers as youre not allowed because of its similarity to aveilus

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 10:49 am
STMommy wrote:
https://amp-usatoday-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/1637780001?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQCKAE%3D#aoh=15813878320799&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.usatoday.com%2Fstory%2Fnews%2F2019%2F07%2F03%2Fmy-shoes-dirty-studies-suggest-theyre-covered-fecal-bacteria%2F1637780001%2F

Eeew so gross! We always wear shoes in the house. That's how I grew up. But after reading this article I may reconsider.
It's just so hard to implement if nobody is used to it!
Also I barely have any space at my entrance- 2 tiny closets that we use for coats. Can't imagine where I'd keep everyone's shoes, would be such mess.

Anyway, I'm pregnant now (I only have big kids). I think once baby is born iy"h I will have a bigger incentive to enforce a no outdoor shoes policy. Thinking of putting down a baby on the same floor all those shoes touched, ugh. I don't know how I tolerated it when my big ones were little.

mha3484

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 10:55 am
I mostly wear socks or barefoot unless I am cooking. I had two many close calls where I almost burned myself so I wear shoes in the kitchen. My kids never seem to keep their socks and shoes on.

bigsis144

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 10:58 am
I grew up in an old house with gross linoleum, we lived in California and had neither heat or air conditioning in the house, so we never went barefoot. Also, everything was on one floor and there would have been nowhere near the entry to store shoes.

My husband’s parents are “shoes inside” people too, but DH prefers to change out of his work shoes into crocs when he comes home.

My kids are sensory and throw their shoes off the second they come inside... sometimes they even take their shoes off in the car and walk in barefoot, regardless of rain or snow or hot asphalt. God bless my little ragamuffins 🤦🏻‍♀️

Now that we have a two story house, I wear shoes downstairs and generally wear slippers/socks/bare feet upstairs where it’s carpeted.

I totally understand why people do it and wish I had my balabuste act together to have a no shoes routine (especially with a baby crawling/walking around), but alas, I have bigger problems to deal with and more importance hygiene issues to enforce (aaaagh!! Close the bathroom door!! The baby got into the toilet again!!!)

Last edited by bigsis144 on Tue, Feb 11 2020, 11:00 am; edited 1 time in total

sequoia

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 10:59 am
Ew, gross.

Here no one would dream of it, thank goodness. Everyone has enough slippers for guests.

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 10:24 am
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
We have a shoes off policy for anyone living in our home, but I don't say anything to guests. I'm so grossed out from that article, thinking about my crawling baby. Ugh. Dh and I wear Crocs and the kids mostly wear socks or are barefoot in the house.

I get you but actually it is probably better for your baby to pick up those gross but relatively benign germs. Reduces allergy risk etc.

nchr

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 11:12 am
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
I get you but actually it is probably better for your baby to pick up those gross but relatively benign germs. Reduces allergy risk etc.

Our children play in the dirt outside. But the reason we wear slippers at home is for the floors not the germs.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics