Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
I think voicenotes are rude and obnoxious.
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 5:11 pm
I used to be like you, then I switched over to the dark side 😈 don’t think of it as not finding you worthy of a phone conversation, think of it as a chance to have a conversation you can participate in at your own convenience.

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 5:14 pm
I have a friend who is illiterate in English but speaks almost as well as I do. He also speaks four languages to my two. With three alphabets. I don’t like the voice messages from anyone else but I understand it for him.

SuperWify

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 5:24 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
To me, a voice note says, "I don't have time to text you and you're not worth a phone call, so here's a voice note where I say my piece and you have to click to open it and listen."

I hear. But I’m not a phone person and sometimes I want to ask you something that is much easier to voice note then text especially if I’m driving.

On the flip side I prefer you voice note me if you have a small question rather you call me and I miss your call and then we phone chase until we get each other.

It’s only annoying when I’m in a public place and I chant hear you or when you cut off on the middle without realizing.

boat

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 6:30 pm
They need an option to take a quick voice note and display it as text. I receive voicemails like that and it's a huge convenience.

While I can understand that it's easier to say it, ime theres usually a laziness factor.

But as a recipient and I'm in a public location, I dont want to play your message for all to hear....and please be conscious of that!

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 6:32 pm
boat wrote:
They need an option to take a quick voice note and display it as text. I receive voicemails like that and it's a huge convenience.

While I can understand that it's easier to say it, ime theres usually a laziness factor.

But as a recipient and I'm in a public location, I dont want to play your message for all to hear....and please be conscious of that!

If you put your phone to your ear it goes off speakerphone sort of and plays just for you.

singleagain

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 6:33 pm
boat wrote:

here I am using my voice to text and I'm not going to look and you see that there might be some confusion and it might not come out properly because it's very hard to voice to text and when you're you know quick although I admit I also do not like to listen to voice notes when there are other people around depending on what it is

ra_mom

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 6:35 pm
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
You are not alone OP.
Unless my far away sister and I missed the sound of each other's voices like watergirl, I wouldn't send one.
Do you also hate when people text Kk? No idea if that's meant to sound rude or passive aggressive but it does.

Are you me? There's one person who does this and it feels very condescending.

singleagain

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 6:36 pm
my understanding of KK is according to my brother because K actually seems too short and weird and passive aggressive so KK is a little bit better apparently

lilies

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 6:37 pm
I always though kk was an annoying typo.

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 6:37 pm
DrMom wrote:
They are convenient to leave if you are walking around and cannot take the time to type a message.

I find them annoying to receive if someone sends me one at work. I can surreptitiously glance at my phone to get a text-based message, even if I'm in a meeting, but I'd have to put on headphones to listen to your voice message without my colleagues overhearing, and that is annoying.

Same here. I also don't like it in the evening because I like quiet and texting is easier to keep the house quiet & serene.

Flip Flops

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 6:42 pm
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:

For SENDING: voice note is very convenient, easier than texting. Something that takes half a minute to say can take a few minutes to text.
For RECEIVING: texting is often more convenient because its quicker to read something than have to listen to someone ramble for half a minute.

This exactly is how I feel about it.

amother
Black

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 6:54 pm
I think kk is supposed to be a nicer cuter version of K.

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 7:37 pm
singleagain wrote:
my understanding of KK is according to my brother because K actually seems too short and weird and passive aggressive so KK is a little bit better apparently

What's wrong with ok?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 7:41 pm
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
Every feature has its pros and cons.
For SENDING: voice note is very convenient, easier than texting. Something that takes half a minute to say can take a few minutes to text.
For RECEIVING: texting is often more convenient because its quicker to read something than have to listen to someone ramble for half a minute.

OtOH, sometimes its nice to hear someone's voice. I have a friend who lives across the world. Because of different time zones, we don't get to talk as often as we'd like. So I sometimes just leave her a voice note saying hi and she does the same.

Precisely why I don't like it. Got example, boss sends them to me all the time. If I ever need to refer back to what he said, I need to listen to the entire voicenote again (and figure out which voicenote it was). Had he messaged me, it would be a lot easier for me.

singleagain

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 7:56 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
What's wrong with ok?

I found this online, explaining kk

https://www.lifewire.com/what-.....83390

Also this saying why just k is rude

https://www.southernphone.com......-okay

I think based on the first link.. the shorting it from kay, kewl... Prob has more to with why ppl day kk instead of why they don't say ok

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 8:22 pm
Op- delete whatsapp. Your boss wont know what hit him. I have a business that operates a lot thru text and I got rid of whatsapp bec it made things too friendly. I rather not see pics, hear your voice. I dont want you to think were friends. Im selling a product not myself. Everything is better now without whatsapp

asmileaday

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 8:23 pm
I ALWAYS assume Kk is a typo. Always. Never thought it's intentional.

singleagain

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 10:33 pm
asmileaday wrote:
I ALWAYS assume Kk is a typo. Always. Never thought it's intentional.

According to my younger siblings. It was a thing during the late aughts.

It's less dismissive than just k. And probably cutesy and some ppl still do it.

asmileaday

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 10:36 pm
Ok I didn't realize K was dismissive. I use it so often. I hope my contacts aren't insulted!

singleagain

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 10:49 pm
asmileaday wrote:
Ok I didn't realize K was dismissive. I use it so often. I hope my contacts aren't insulted!

I think it makes a difference if it's just a k by itself. Or k got it. Type of thing.

It also might be generational and depends on if texting is a person's primary mode of communication.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette