Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Panties vs underwear
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

kenz

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 7:22 pm
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
My dh does this. He still gets confused when I ask him for a diaper. Like, our baby's not spitting up anymore, so what exactly do you need....? He's not chassidish, though.

Nor am I.

amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
Panties is not an inappropriate word, but for those of us used to hearing it in zexual contexts, it feels weird to have a little child say it. When I think of panties I think of Victoria's Secret.

I agree, I don't think it's inappropriate but I'd be uncomfortable going into a dry goods store in BP and asking for panties, whereas I wouldn't blink twice asking for underwear.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 7:23 pm
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
No one uses gatkes anymore? LOL

Gatkes is chassidish mens boxers. The long white ones.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 7:24 pm
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
Gatkes is chassidish mens boxers. The long white ones.

My Bubbe used it humorously for all underwear. Maybe it was just a family thing. No one actually wore long underwear. Smile

bsy

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 8:26 pm
I see that it's my students from heimish or chassidish homes saying panties. My daughter calls them undies or underwear.

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 8:34 pm
It makes sense to call boys and girls garments different names. Otherwise, girls could be said to be wearing boys clothes! Very Happy

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 8:37 pm
Who's mother calls it a boodgie????
LOL

nchr

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 8:37 pm
Because that is probably the word they use. Some people say panty, budgie, underwear, intervesh, interhoizen, vest, etc.

Are the words panty liner inappropriate?

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 8:41 pm
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:
In my home we call boys underwear breifs
And girls underwear either bloomers or panties
Bloomers are high waisted big ones and panties are skimpy bikini ones

Who wears bloomers?

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 8:44 pm
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
Who wears bloomers?

Bloomers are short bubble pants.

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 8:52 pm
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
Who's mother calls it a boodgie????
LOL

Mine! - Its a remnant from their Hungarian parents. I think it's why the current heimish/chassidishe people use the word panties now across the board. The word boodgies referred to all underpants (boys, girls & women), excluding the adult male 'gatshkes'. Calling them boodgies has become downright weird, so they've interchanged it with the more Americanized word panties.

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 8:54 pm
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
Mine! - Its a remnant from their Hungarian parents. I think it's why the current heimish/chassidishe people use the word panties now across the board. The word boodgies referred to all underpants (boys, girls & women), excluding the adult male 'gatshkes'. Calling them boodgies has become downright weird, so they've interchanged it with the more Americanized word panties.

My young SILs use budgie. I don't like the word. We use intervesh/underclothes.

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 8:55 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:

But intervesh refers to all underwear. Interhoizen is underpants, Interhemed is undershirt

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 8:58 pm
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
But intervesh refers to all underwear. Interhoizen is underpants, Interhemed is undershirt

Those are the specific words, but we don't use them. We just use intervesh for underwear and undershirts. My children know the specific words, but it is just not a thing in our house.

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 8:59 pm
I also know quite a few Yiddish speaking ppl who say knickers lol. Not brittish at all. I guess due to awkwardness of undies or panties.

nchr

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 9:01 pm
amother [ Amber ] wrote:

Underpants = Interhoizen
Undershirt = Interhemed
Underwear/Underclothes = Intervesh

However, in English, if you were to say underwear, people would almost always know you are referring to interhoizen, which is most likely because undershirts are not very popular in the secular word. My Shvigger uses the word hemed'l for undershirts and budgie for underwear with small children. Once everyone is older, it is just inter______ (fill in the blank according to the appropriate item)

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 9:12 pm
My mother stills says boodgie, we can't get her to change.
Or she'll say boodge.

amother
Green

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 9:17 pm
nchr wrote:
Underpants = Interhoizen
Undershirt = Interhemed
Underwear/Underclothes = Intervesh

However, in English, if you were to say underwear, people would almost always know you are referring to interhoizen, which is most likely because undershirts are not very popular in the secular word. My Shvigger uses the word hemed'l for undershirts and budgie for underwear with small children. Once everyone is older, it is just inter______ (fill in the blank according to the appropriate item)

secular people wear undershirts. The one without sleeves has a most unfortunate nickname.

eduardo

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 10:03 pm
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
Well, the Brits call it "hoovering" even when they're using a vacuum manufactured by someone else, and many call tissues "kleenex" (even if they're Marcal or Great Value).

Or Band-Aids

Odelyah

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 10:22 pm
actually for many years the correct American term for female undergarments worn on bottom is/was panties (and for boys, underpants). I know this because my very American, very non-chassidish BT mother always called them that. I always did kind of think it sounded childish or cutesy or something, so I didn't always call them that myself, while still acknowledging that that is the American English name for them. Underwear is a general term that people use that sounds more generic / less cutesy, but it also technically includes undershirts etc.

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 10:27 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:

That's confusing.
Page 3 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics