Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Coronavirus - my 2 cents
Previous  1  2

amother
Taupe

Post Fri, Mar 06 2020, 12:25 pm
The rabbi of young isreal of newrochelle has it and two family’s have it husband in the hospital 1000 members are quarantined and for an additional 14 days when they found out the second family has it a shul nearby canceled their purim party

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 06 2020, 1:52 pm
SleepingBeauty wrote:
OP-
Do you do this professionally? I need someone to write up a poem for me asap, looking to pay. Please pm me or reply in this thread.

Thanks!

I don't do this professionally, which is a good thing, because I'm not so great at writing on demand, just when the inspiration strikes. (I do find a lot of good fodder for inspiration on imamother...)

miami85 wrote:
Your Purim masks this year
Should be the medical type!
Don't touch that Shalach Manos
Till it's cleaned with Lysol wipe!

was this part serious or sarcastic?

Who knows? Getting a lot of mixed messages. Some say it's no big deal, and they expect mortality rate to be similar to flu once they can count all the mild and asymptomatic cases; and others tell us to stockpile masks and food.

That's why my conclusion is to follow the advice of the health department and leave the worrying to Hashem, and lehavdil to them.

southernbubby

Post Fri, Mar 06 2020, 1:55 pm
Rockland county has 2 cases.

ectomorph

Post Fri, Mar 06 2020, 2:12 pm
Once there's a vaccine and a medication similar to Tamiflu exists and will probably be similarly severe to the flu this is more like a brand new flu set note that no one has any immunity to and has no medications to treat at

amother
Taupe

Post Fri, Mar 06 2020, 3:15 pm
southernbubby wrote:
Rockland county has 2 cases.
they caught it from the lawyer at the barmitzvah where the lawyer was a guest .
the people from rockland worked at the bar mitzvah
the journal news.com

amother
Blonde

Post Sat, Mar 07 2020, 6:00 pm
I also heard that a Bar Mitzvah was canceled for this Shabbos. The poor boy learned all the laining and now he will have to wait until 2021 to lain his parsha. Imagine that was your son.

amother
Taupe

Post Sat, Mar 07 2020, 7:01 pm
5 children have it in westchester all jewish schools are closed and some public school
89 people in ny have it a uber drvier and a member of upper west side chabad
more people were confirmed to have carona in westchester today
a womsn who lives in westhchester and works in ct has it
two people in PA have it

amother
Taupe

Post Sat, Mar 07 2020, 7:03 pm
the young isreal if scarsdale canceled the purim events
a member of JRE has it they are connected to the young israel of white plains all the people who attended their last two events are self quarantined

amother
Taupe

Post Sat, Mar 07 2020, 7:07 pm
westchester has 70 cases as of today most people from young israel of new rochelle were not tested and the quarantine is over soon
all parades are canceled
the national guard is here to help

amother
OP

Post Sat, Mar 07 2020, 7:53 pm
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
I also heard that a Bar Mitzvah was canceled for this Shabbos. The poor boy learned all the laining and now he will have to wait until 2021 to lain his parsha. Imagine that was your son.

I do feel bad, but let's not overdo it. DH started learning for his Bar Mitzvah when he was 11. A few weeks before his Bar Mitzvah his parents decided he should go to the city where his Rebbe lived for the Bar Mitzvah itself and he had to learn a different parsha to lein the following week. He isn't traumatized, in fact he teaches boys to lein Smile

WhatFor

Post Sat, Mar 07 2020, 8:29 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I do feel bad, but let's not overdo it. DH started learning for his Bar Mitzvah when he was 11. A few weeks before his Bar Mitzvah his parents decided he should go to the city where his Rebbe lived for the Bar Mitzvah itself and he had to learn a different parsha to lein the following week. He isn't traumatized, in fact he teaches boys to lein Smile

Are you seriously comparing a situation where a boy's bar mitzvah is cancelled because his Rav and a bunch of people in his community is sick to your DH's parents choosing he go to have his bar mitzvah in a different town with his rebbi?

The lives of elderly people and immunocompromised people are at serious risk right now. The NYS governor just declared a state of emergency. The death rate is actually much higher than the flu.

Yes it's true, if you're a healthy person, from what we know right now, your short term health will probably be okay. That's not the end of the inquiry if you're a considerate person who cares about other people who aren't so fortunate.

I can appreciate the value of not panicking but some of this comes across as callousness.

amother
Emerald

Post Sat, Mar 07 2020, 9:08 pm
Quote:
The death rate is actually much higher than the flu.

I keep seeing this said but I think it's very premature to make such a statement. How many people that have tested positive have zero or very little symptoms? Many.
So how many hundreds or even thousands of people may be walking around who would test positive but don't even know it. I would venture to say that the actual death rate compared to how many people really have contracted the virus is actually quite low, but we may never know

amother
Scarlet

Post Sat, Mar 07 2020, 9:18 pm
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
Thank you Nc -- excellent points

Op you are really talented.

as an aside, I read that the frum guy who became ill R"L was referred to in one of the mainstream articles as getting it in his community, while I get they probably mean not from the epicenter, I found that to be troubling reference it should say he got it from the subway from public transportation!

The term "community spread" means, they can't identify the individual who he caught it from.

They're saying this will happen more, as more people have the virus in general there will be more people who are undiagnosed as they will have mild or no symptoms themselves, yet they will be spreading it to others.

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 12:14 am
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
Quote:
The death rate is actually much higher than the flu.

I keep seeing this said but I think it's very premature to make such a statement. How many people that have tested positive have zero or very little symptoms? Many.
So how many hundreds or even thousands of people may be walking around who would test positive but don't even know it. I would venture to say that the actual death rate compared to how many people really have contracted the virus is actually quite low, but we may never know

That means nothing.
PLENTY OF PEOPLE WALK AROUND WITH THE FLU AND ARE ASYMPTOMATIC AS WELL.

SleepingBeauty

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 11:23 am
SleepingBeauty wrote:
OP-
Do you do this professionally? need someone to write up a poem for me asap, looking to pay. Please pm me or reply in this thread.

Thanks!

don't do this professionally, which is a good thing, because 'm not so great at writing on demand, just when the inspiration strikes. ( do find a lot of good fodder for inspiration on imamother...)

are you willing to try? I need someone, and I don't want to just hire someone without seeing their work first. This was great Smile and I have confidence in you!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics