Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
To those who are brushing off corona concerns
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 12:07 pm
I'd assume that's an outlier.

It seems that the prevailing attitude here is that it's either all-out panic or "you're not taking this seriously."

Me? I'm not panicked. If I'm placed in quarantine I'll obey it, without question. I'm washing my hands more frequently. Other than that, I don't really see the value in shutting down my life. I didn't stock up on toilet paper or hand sanitizer. (We use good old regular soap.)

Is that considered "brushing off" coronavirus?

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 12:19 pm
Oysh. I'm not panicking, but I'm not taking anything for granted, either.

There is a musical event in my town (not sure if it's been cancelled or not) that I've been longing to see for ages. Two of my favorite groups playing together for the first time. I'm going to miss it because I still have a really scary sounding cough, and I don't know if it's the flu or not.

I really don't understand how people can be so selfish. I've been told, "It's probably just a cold, why don't you go out?" more than a few times, and it's really ticking me off. Mad They act like I'm being a drama queen, and enjoying this somehow. Trust me, I'm not. Being out of work means I can't pay my electricity bill this month.

B'H, I'm starting to feel a tiny bit better, but I'm still coughing up green stuff and sleeping 14 hours a day. I don't think I need to be out partying this week.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 12:26 pm
southernbubby wrote:
That's what it would seem but I live in Monsey where everyone is scrambling to find Purel and Clorox wipes and you would think that a community this size would solve this simple problem but it remains a shortage day after day. I did find some house brand cleaning wipes and apparently Amazing Savings now has pocket sized sanitizer for $1.99 but that's as good as it gets.
Walmart looked ransacked (my insurance wants me to use the pharmacy there) but at least they got in a shipment of toilet paper.
What I am trying to say is that if we can't even supply one household size Purel or Clorox wipes per family, how do we come up with enough medical equipment?
My sister in Louisville finally found toilet paper at Lowe's. These products are basic for sanitation today and the biggest businesses in the community can't provide them. And then, of course, when a shipment comes, people are buying ridiculously large amounts.

Monsey can't solve these shortages because they're at the national distribution level.

I don't use hand sanitizer; I wash my hands. But under these circumstances, there are times we need it. Like after pumping gas, or leaving the grocery store. Sure, I'll wash when I get home, and that's usually good enough, but not now. So I need to buy a product that I've never before purchased. Lots of people are in the same boat, so now production needs to step up to meet demand.

There is some element of the only thing we have to fear is fear itself going on. The shelves of hard surface cleaner were empty. You'd better believe that I bought a couple of extra bottles when I saw them. My counters need cleaning! But that just exacerbates the problem.

southernbubby

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 12:28 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Oysh. I'm not panicking, but I'm not taking anything for granted, either.

There is a musical event in my town (not sure if it's been cancelled or not) that I've been longing to see for ages. Two of my favorite groups playing together for the first time. I'm going to miss it because I still have a really scary sounding cough, and I don't know if it's the flu or not.

I really don't understand how people can be so selfish. I've been told, "It's probably just a cold, why don't you go out?" more than a few times, and it's really ticking me off. Mad They act like I'm being a drama queen, and enjoying this somehow. Trust me, I'm not. Being out of work means I can't pay my electricity bill this month.

B'H, I'm starting to feel a tiny bit better, but I'm still coughing up green stuff and sleeping 14 hours a day. I don't think I need to be out partying this week.

FF, my family got sick and tired of me being sick and tired so DIL took me to urgent care. I have a sinus infection and am now on antibiotics and some nasal sprays. I also need to irrigate the sinuses. Why don't you give it a try?

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 12:43 pm
rockland now has four cases
westchster has more case they closed all the jewish schools and scarsdale public schools
online its hard to buy clorox products

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 12:52 pm
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
rockland now has four cases
westchster has more case they closed all the jewish schools and scarsdale public schools
online its hard to buy clorox products

What difference does this make? We all know it is contagious, and we all know it is going around. Those who are "brushing it off" are not saying it doesn't exist or that it isn't contagious. They are saying that it is not apocalyptic and therefore does not justify the level of panic or fear that is going around.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 1:04 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
What difference does this make? We all know it is contagious, and we all know it is going around. Those who are "brushing it off" are not saying it doesn't exist or that it isn't contagious. They are saying that it is not apocalyptic and therefore does not justify the level of panic or fear that is going around.

I'm not seeing a lot of panic. I'm seeing a lot of vigilance. There's a difference.

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 1:10 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
I'm not seeing a lot of panic. I'm seeing a lot of vigilance. There's a difference.

Mind elaborating?

I don't see wearing masks (unless you are sick), stockpiling toilet paper, obsessively tracking cases, or broadcasting the most pessimistic news reports as vigilance. I see it as fearmongering and panic.

Washing hands, obeying quarantine rules, and not going out while sick is responsible behavior, though I don't know if it is considered vigilance in your book or not.

mamma llama

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 1:16 pm
SixOfWands wrote:

I'm seeing a lot of panic too. There is only so much hishtadlus a person needs to do before they start taking Hashem out of the picture.
I'm not saying who is going overboard and who is being vigilant, just that too many people have blurred that line.

IrenaFr

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 3:11 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
The question is whether this is actually true or not??? There are plenty of American media outlets that have the most preposterous, nonsensical doomsday scenarios all the time. Scary if it's true, but might be entirely made up. Please realize this.

This is true , look at the official Italy numbers
http://www.salute.gov.it/porta.....vuoto

You can translate to English

southernbubby

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 3:30 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Monsey can't solve these shortages because they're at the national distribution level.

I don't use hand sanitizer; I wash my hands. But under these circumstances, there are times we need it. Like after pumping gas, or leaving the grocery store. Sure, I'll wash when I get home, and that's usually good enough, but not now. So I need to buy a product that I've never before purchased. Lots of people are in the same boat, so now production needs to step up to meet demand.

There is some element of the only thing we have to fear is fear itself going on. The shelves of hard surface cleaner were empty. You'd better believe that I bought a couple of extra bottles when I saw them. My counters need cleaning! But that just exacerbates the problem.

The point that I am trying to make is, if the country is running short of supplies that are considered standard hygiene and sanitation products, even if people can survive just fine without them, it shows that our society probably can't handle a real epidemic or pandemic because we can't distribute enough medical equipment and drugs.

elisheva25

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 3:39 pm
IrenaFr wrote:
This is true , look at the official Italy numbers
http://www.salute.gov.it/porta.....vuoto

You can translate to English

How do we translate page into English ?

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 3:53 pm
southernbubby wrote:
The point that I am trying to make is, if the country is running short of supplies that are considered standard hygiene and sanitation products, even if people can survive just fine without them, it shows that our society probably can't handle a real epidemic or pandemic because we can't distribute enough medical equipment and drugs.

Oh, agreed.

BTW, NY is going to produce its own hand sanitizer. Take THAT Purell.

https://abc7ny.com/health/coro.....ax2-Y

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 3:57 pm
elisheva25 wrote:
How do we translate page into English ?

If you are using Chrome, right click and scroll down to "Translate to English". If you get a window that says that the page can't be translated, make sure that the top box shows the original language, and the bottom box says English. You can scroll through options for the top box and find all the languages there.

Living in Israel, Chrome Translate is my absolute best friend!

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 4:00 pm
ywn says all people who arrive to isreal from any where must self quarantine for 14 days

Amarante

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 6:04 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
Mind elaborating?

I don't see wearing masks (unless you are sick), stockpiling toilet paper, obsessively tracking cases, or broadcasting the most pessimistic news reports as vigilance. I see it as fearmongering and panic.

Washing hands, obeying quarantine rules, and not going out while sick is responsible behavior, though I don't know if it is considered vigilance in your book or not.

Most people aren't wearing masks.

However, they are following advice of what are reliable sources to use hand sterilizers and to stock up on what they might need if they were quarantined for two weeks.

Like others, I don't normally use hand sterilizer but I tracked down a bottle because I will now use it when I don't ordinarily do - when I pump gas; when I wheel a shopping cart; when I handle money (one of the filthiest substances); when I have been out and around and know that I have touched possibly contaminated surfaces like door knobs or counters.

People are making sure they have enough toilet paper and tissues and possibly other pantry staples although since the electricity will still be on, we don't have to prepare as if we are in hurricane country in which there will be no refrigeration or power to cook.

Realistically what would you do if you and your family had to stay quarantined for 14 days - or even longer if people actually got sick.

I don't think that is panic - that is taking reasonable precautions.

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 6:32 pm
Amarante wrote:
Most people aren't wearing masks.

However, they are following advice of what are reliable sources to use hand sterilizers and to stock up on what they might need if they were quarantined for two weeks.

Like others, I don't normally use hand sterilizer but I tracked down a bottle because I will now use it when I don't ordinarily do - when I pump gas; when I wheel a shopping cart; when I handle money (one of the filthiest substances); when I have been out and around and know that I have touched possibly contaminated surfaces like door knobs or counters.

People are making sure they have enough toilet paper and tissues and possibly other pantry staples although since the electricity will still be on, we don't have to prepare as if we are in hurricane country in which there will be no refrigeration or power to cook.

Realistically what would you do if you and your family had to stay quarantined for 14 days - or even longer if people actually got sick.

I don't think that is panic - that is taking reasonable precautions.

Based on what I've read, if we are quarantined we will be able to get grocery deliveries. Not sure why I need to stockpile toilet paper.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 6:36 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
Based on what I've read, if we are quarantined we will be able to get grocery deliveries. Not sure why I need to stockpile toilet paper.

If the supply chains break down because of quarantines, deliveries will become more difficult.

Amarante

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 6:38 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:

Not every location has delivery service or it is very expensive to have items delivered.

But if you live in an area which has a lot of reasonably priced grocery deliveries, then don't stock your pantry as if your family needed to exist on the contents for two weeks.

Also if many people are sick, there might not be delivery people available.

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 6:41 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
If the supply chains break down because of quarantines, deliveries will become more difficult.

And if the supplies run short because of people panicking and stocking up unnecessarily, then NOBODY will have groceries. That's how the Depression started - had people not panicked, the banks would not have collapsed.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics