Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Carpathian Ruthenia
Previous  1  2

He*Sings*To*Me

Post Mon, Jan 28 2008, 1:18 pm
My parents are in their late sixties, but aren't "old people"...they still seem to me like they've always been since I was a child, and I'm 42! They are go, go, go and to try to corral them long enough to have a serious conversation about this topic will be a challenge!

Maybe it would be meaningful to your mother to open up about it...or, would it just upset her? You never know...we might be distant---or not-so-distant---mishpacha! Wink

Last edited by He*Sings*To*Me on Mon, Jan 28 2008, 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

GetReal

Post Mon, Jan 28 2008, 1:20 pm
My grandmother's family lived in Ushgorod.

cbmom

Post Mon, Jan 28 2008, 1:26 pm
My grandmother (a"h)'s family is from seredne-from what I heard, it's closest big cities were munkatch and Ungvar.

GramaNewYork

Post Tue, Jan 29 2008, 8:56 am
Believe it or not, a Ruthenian woman who translates things into English sent this press release to me. I think it's hysterical that it says, over and over, how there was never any anti-semitic activity in the region. True, there were no pogroms, but it is known (and documented) how the Ruthenian people not only did not help their Jewish neighbors during the Holocaust, but actually would turn them in for a pint of whiskey or even kill them by themselves.

* * * PRESS RELEASE follows: * * *

On the occasion of the barbarous action directed against Menachem Teichman, Chief Rabbi of the Transcarpathian oblast:
Carpatho-Rusyns will not allow manifestations of xenophobia and inter-ethnic hostility on their land
Carpatho-Rusyns worldwide called the robbery of the residence of Menachem Mendel Teichman, Rabbi of Uzhhorod [Ukraine] and the Transcarpathian oblast on October 7, 2007 an ominous event. It was not a robbery in the everyday sense of the word, which has the goal of seizing objects of value, but a barbarous action, in which the perpetrators aimed not so much to steal material valuables as to destroy a dwelling place, making it unusable, to wreck the owner’s possessions, and terrorize the Rabbi and his family – his wife and four small children. This tragic incident is perhaps unique in the thousand-year history of Subcarpathia (the Transcarpathian oblast). Over the course of the last five centuries or more, the indigenous Rusyn ethnos and the Jewish community have co-existed peacefully. There were never any Jewish pogroms on this land. Instead, between these two groups there have always existed neighborly relations, characterized by mutual respect and tolerance.
Therefore, it was an obligation of honor for Rusyn public organizations to express sympathy to Rabbi Teichman and his family, to show support for him in particular, as well as for the entire Jewish community of Transcarpathia. On October 26, 2007, Professor Paul Robert Magocsi, president of the World Congress of Rusyns, issued a Declaration in which he sharply condemned this act of vandalism, which could lead to the deterioration of inter-ethnic relations in the region. The Declaration, which was broadcast to the entire Rusyn world through the media, asserted: “This event is extraordinary, because Uzhhorod and the historic region of Subcarpathian Rus’ have, in contrast to most other parts of central and Eastern Europe, never experienced any pogroms. Whereas Uzhhorod itself is home to people of many ethnicities, the region of Subcarpathian Rus’ is inhabited primarily by Rusyns. Carpatho-Rusyns, wherever they live, are appalled by what has happened to the residence of Rabbi Teichman.”
The World Congress of Rusyns called on the government of Ukraine to make every effort to find the perpetrators of this attack and to bring them to justice. A group of Americans of Rusyn background (Mika Popovic, Elaine Rusinko, Victor Haburchak, Harold Krivell) and the Carpatho-Rusyn Research Center (Erie, Pennsylvania) presented a financial gesture to Rabbi Teichman as a sign of support at this difficult time.
On December 4, the first day of the great Jewish holiday Hanukkah, at the Rabbi’s invitation a group of representatives of the Rusyn intelligentsia and public organizations took part in the ceremonial lighting of the first Hanukkah candle, which took place in the building of the great synagogue of Uzhhorod (now the Concert Hall). Present were the patriarch of the Rusyn movement Vasyl’ Sarkanych, Rusyn folk artist and former soloist of the Transcarpathian National Chorus Vira Bahanych, distinguished teacher of Ukraine and member of the World Council of Rusyns Mikhailo Almashii, head of the Regional Association of Subcarpathian Rusyns Mykola Bobynets’, national artist of Ukraine and laureate of the Shevchenko Prize Volodymyr Mykyta, and head of the Dukhnovych Society and publisher Dr. Valeriy Padiak, among others. The Jewish congregation of Transcarpathia reacted with applause to the reading of the Declaration of the World Congress of Rusyns by Valeriy Padiak. In addition, Padiak noted numerous examples of Rusyn-Jewish cooperation and mutual support. For example, he observed that a former member of the Jewish community of Transcarpathia, Stefan Moldovan, who currently lives in Canada, regularly contributes funds for the Rusyn Sunday schools of Transcarpathia.
In his address, Rabbi Teichman expressed deep gratitude to those who shared this unexpected sorrow with him, his family, and the Jewish community. He expressed appreciation for those who support the Jews of Transcarpathia and sustain the preservation of inter-ethnic peace and stability in the Transcarpathian oblast. Rabbi Menachem Mendel Teichman also thanked the Rusyn organizations for their moral and material support and expressed a desire to allocate the monetary gift to a fund for the support of orphans in Transcarpathia.
Press-Center of the Uzhhorod Dukhnovych Society

There are pictures of Rabbi Teichman included but I don't know how to show them here.

Menachem Mendel Teichman, Rabbi of Uzhhorod [Ukraine]

Rabbi Teichman and Valeriy Padiak

He*Sings*To*Me

Post Sun, Feb 03 2008, 12:11 am
Thank You for sharing that.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics