Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Imas in Italy, Japan, etc tell us whats really going on
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 7:39 am
108 deaths in italy in one day

Raisin

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 8:10 am
Does anyone know why the death rate in Italy is so much higher then other countries? More elderly people?

I heard a rumour that schools here will be closed. Only a handful of cases in my country but slowly growing. We had a fairly normal purim but big events are starting to be cancelled. Sad Sad Sad Sad

Debating if we should visit elderly (over 70) relatives next week. It would be a sleepover visit.

rdmom

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 8:35 am
So I just heard from my Friend.

The economy is collapsing and the virus doesn’t stop spreading. Now also children and young people are affected by the virus. And there are not enough ERs and medical treatments for all the sick people.

This week the shochet couldn’t get to Rome and they are scared that there might not be enough kosher food for pesach.

elisheva25

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 9:29 am
Does anyone know , how many mothers we have in Italy on this site ?

elisheva25

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 9:30 am
More important what can we do to help them ?
I read same this morning, that now they are seeing younger population in the hospital .

elisheva25

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 9:36 am
I don’t know who originally wrote this, but he is more info from Italy

I am writing to you from Bergamo, Italy, at the heart of the coronavirus crisis. The news media in the US has not captured the severity of what is happening here. I am writing this post because each of you, today, not the government, not the school district, not the mayor, each individual citizen has the chance, today to take actions that will deter the Italian situation from becoming your own country’s reality. The only way to stop this virus is to limit contagion. And the only way to limit contagion is for millions of people to change their behavior today.

If you are in Europe or the US you are weeks away from where we are today in Italy.

I can hear you now. “It’s just a flu. It only affects old people with preconditions”

There are 2 reasons why Coronavirus has brought Italy to it’s knees. First it is a flu is devastating when people get really sick they need weeks of ICU – and, second, because of how fast and effectively it spreads. There is 2 week incubation period and many who have it never show symptoms.

When Prime Minister Conte announced last night that the entire country, 60 million people, would go on lock down, the line that struck me most was “there is no more time.” Because to be clear, this national lock down, is a hail mary. What he means is that if the numbers of contagion do not start to go down, the system, Italy, will collapse.

Why? Today the ICUs in Lombardy are at capacity – more than capacity. They have begun to put ICU units in the hallways. If the numbers do not go down, the growth rate of contagion tells us that there will be thousands of people who in a matter of a week? two weeks? who will need care. What will happen when there are 100, or a 1000 people who need the hospital and only a few ICU places left?

On Monday a doctor wrote in the paper that they have begun to have to decide who lives and who dies when the patients show up in the emergency room, like what is done in war. This will only get worse.

There are a finite number of drs, nurses, medical staff and they are getting the virus. They have also been working non-stop, non-stop for days and days. What happens when the drs, nurses and medical staff are simply not able to care for the patients, when they are not there?

And finally for those who say that this is just something that happens to old people, starting yesterday the hospitals are reporting that younger and younger patients – 40, 45, 18, are coming in for treatment.

You have a chance to make a difference and stop the spread in your country. Push for the entire office to work at home today, cancel birthday parties, and other gatherings, stay home as much as you can. If you have a fever, any fever, stay home. Push for school closures, now. Anything you can do to stop the spread, because it is spreading in your communities – there is a two week incubation period – and if you do these things now you can buy your medical system time.

And for those who say it is not possible to close the schools, and do all these other things, locking down Italy was beyond anyone’s imagination a week ago.

Soon you will not have a choice, so do what you can now.

Please share.

clakop

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 10:02 am
Hi everybody, I'm the poster form Milano. I agree to everything the poster from Bergamo wrote, today the government is talking about closing Lombardia more strictly(!), so only allow to open food and medication shops, and only people in healthcare, utilities and police etc will work.
My kids are having class with zoom and other apps, but they are teenager, they can manage,we have strong internet, they talk to friends by chat, but it's so difficult for the parents of younger children because they don't know how to entertain kids...
It's scary, my father is 87 and locked in his house all alone since we lost my mother February 3. She died from complications of a pneumonia that the doctors didn't manage to cure. At the time of her death they told it wasn't the corona, now we know it was in Italy from January, so I am quite sure she died from coronavirus.
So maybe all the family was in contact with the virus, and maybe we had it (I had a cold and so my husband), but...who knows? SO we stay at home.
I try to visit my poor father every few days, but I have to go by car, avoiding everybody, I don't kiss or touch him, we stay one meter far from each other and I can assure you it's heartbreaking!
Please, do whatever you can to be careful.

ectomorph

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 10:48 am
clakop wrote:
Hi everybody, I'm the poster form Milano. I agree to everything the poster from Bergamo wrote, today the government is talking about closing Lombardia more strictly(!), so only allow to open food and medication shops, and only people in healthcare, utilities and police etc will work.
My kids are having class with zoom and other apps, but they are teenager, they can manage,we have strong internet, they talk to friends by chat, but it's so difficult for the parents of younger children because they don't know how to entertain kids...
It's scary, my father is 87 and locked in his house all alone since we lost my mother February 3. She died from complications of a pneumonia that the doctors didn't manage to cure. At the time of her death they told it wasn't the corona, now we know it was in Italy from January, so I am quite sure she died from coronavirus.
So maybe all the family was in contact with the virus, and maybe we had it (I had a cold and so my husband), but...who knows? SO we stay at home.
I try to visit my poor father every few days, but I have to go by car, avoiding everybody, I don't kiss or touch him, we stay one meter far from each other and I can assure you it's heartbreaking!

Would you contact a jewish news source and be interviewed. It would make people understand the seriousness

cozyblanket

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 11:15 am
Clakop, I'm so sorry about your mother.
Wishing your whole family health and bracha.

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 11:44 am
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
and learn to spell ISRAEL!!!!!!!!!!!

and corona!!!! (not carona)

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 11:58 am
I have a friend in Italy. It is pretty much exactly like what you're hearing. She lost her grandmother last week (not from corona, her grandmother was already in hospice the last couple of months) and they couldn't have a levaya. The chevra kadisha basically did what they had to do, and got her buried, but the family couldn't go. And there was no shiva. Or, rather, the family kept the halachos of shiva for the week but couldn't have visitors.

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 2:44 pm
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
108 deaths in italy in one day

It's been even higher the past two days unfortunately.

168 yesterday. And then 196 today. Wake up people.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 3:18 pm
clakop wrote:

Oh this is so scary.

Hug

mommyX2

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 3:26 pm
Are kids getting bad cases of corona in Italy? Ending up in the hospital? Or just getting milder versions?

boots

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 10:21 pm
Two questions - what can we do to help you and what can we do to prepare here?

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Mar 15 2020, 2:31 pm
Hi. I am in Germany. It is not as bad as in Italy, but I am afraid we are only a bit behind and heading in the same direction.

We have about 5000 cases last time I checked. Only 10 dead yet, but this is because most infected people are young so far (mostly travel-related infections from skiing in Italy/Austria/Switzerland). Also, all of this started so recently! I think most people are only ill for a few days.

The schools and every type of childcare will close from this week for 5 weeks. Some regions (including mine) have restrictions on sport, concerts, cinema, clubs, pools, etc. Big events are cancelled. Everybody talks about the virus, but people take it more or less seriously. My work goes on as usual, except that we are permitted Homeoffice whenever we like. I will "work" from home now because I have nowhere to take my children. The grandparents will self-isolate at home.

In my community, Purim happened normally for services and shiurim. They restricted the children program to community school members and cancelled the Purim ball. We could't go, because we had a quarantine scare which thankfully resolved a day later. I think they still have a daily Minyan, but none of us have been to the synagogue since Purim. We are staying home as far as possible. For Pesach - who knows what the situation will be. I am planning to stay home and have no guests.

Take precautions while it is still early!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 15 2020, 2:40 pm
Thank you for sharing slategrey amother

elisheva25

Post Sun, Mar 15 2020, 3:03 pm
Mothers in Italy???. How are things ? Did total lockdown improve situation ?

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Mar 15 2020, 3:05 pm
elisheva25 wrote:
Mothers in Italy???. How are things ? Did total lockdown improve situation ?

I'm not in Italy, but the numbers reported today are the worst so far. 368 deaths and 3,000+ new cases.

elisheva25

Post Sun, Mar 15 2020, 3:13 pm
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
I'm not in Italy, but the numbers reported today are the worst so far. 368 deaths and 3,000+ new cases.

So lockdown isn’t helping ?
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics