Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Pesach with my parents
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sat, Mar 28 2020, 5:39 pm
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:
Yeah, I don't get what the problem would be if they already had it. People are acting with no logic - just no no no scream yell scream. It's like we all forgot to use seichel.

Because they have no idea how this virus works is it mutating? Can people get it again? No one has any idea. So it is best and the right thing to stay home. I really cant understand why people cant stay home. Trying to find every excuse under the sun not too!!!! By going out you are endangered your life, your families lives and everyones around you. End of story stay home!!!!!!

southernbubby

Post Sat, Mar 28 2020, 6:08 pm
One issue that I can see is that many people who are presumed to have COVID 19 are told to stay home and treat the symptoms with OTC medications but they are not actually tested to positively confirm that they indeed had this virus and not an unrelated viral illness.
While there is a strong likelihood that it really is COVID 19, unless the doctor has proof, he can't make the mistake of saying that all parties are now immune, only to later discover that someone wasn't.

amother
Cerulean

Post Sat, Mar 28 2020, 6:25 pm
I am really hoping they will come up with home antibody testing in the next week (yeah right) so we can know who has had it and is over it.

Meanwhile two of my kids (and their spouses) pretty clearly had it, and DH is hopefully on the mend. So I am ready to have them because I am sure trying to cook & serve all those meals by myself (even for just us two) is going to be way more stressful & harmful for me than exposing myself to the kids (& grandkids who probably also had it). (DH usually helps me quite a bit but right now I don't want him touching anything so I have to go clean up the whole Shabbos situation myself & I do have health issues & not all that capable...)

But I will have a long talk with my doctor in a couple of days when we see what everyone is up to. Meanwhile they are cleaning and I guess ready to stay home if they must.

Sunny Days

Post Sat, Mar 28 2020, 6:58 pm
southernbubby wrote:
One issue that I can see is that many people who are presumed to have COVID 19 are told to stay home and treat the symptoms with OTC medications but they are not actually tested to positively confirm that they indeed had this virus and not an unrelated viral illness.
While there is a strong likelihood that it really is COVID 19, unless the doctor has proof, he can't make the mistake of saying that all parties are now immune, only to later discover that someone wasn't.

Exactly this!

I was thinking of getting tested- but I don't need the CDC breathing down my back now...

amother
Babypink

Post Sat, Mar 28 2020, 7:01 pm
Yeah, I don't get what the problem would be if they already had it. People are acting with no logic - just no no no scream yell scream. It's like we all forgot to use seichel.

Seichel would be asking a doctor who is knowledgeable. And every single doctor that I'm aware of has said that having had covid 19 is NOT a guarantee of immunity.

amother
Ginger

Post Sat, Mar 28 2020, 8:27 pm
Staying home in similar low risk circumstances while being so careful and wiping down packages because frankly how dumb is it during a pandemic to decide I'm just going to "use my seichel" and do what I want.

It's hard but those of us being responsible are all in it together.

How insensitive is it to people burying family members before yuntiff to be having these debates about trying to cheat the system to have a more enjoyable pesach. This is just not the time.

amother
Slategray

Post Sat, Mar 28 2020, 8:43 pm
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
I am really hoping they will come up with home antibody testing in the next week (yeah right) so we can know who has had it and is over it.

Meanwhile two of my kids (and their spouses) pretty clearly had it, and DH is hopefully on the mend. So I am ready to have them because I am sure trying to cook & serve all those meals by myself (even for just us two) is going to be way more stressful & harmful for me than exposing myself to the kids (& grandkids who probably also had it). (DH usually helps me quite a bit but right now I don't want him touching anything so I have to go clean up the whole Shabbos situation myself & I do have health issues & not all that capable...)

But I will have a long talk with my doctor in a couple of days when we see what everyone is up to. Meanwhile they are cleaning and I guess ready to stay home if they must.

Just letting you know that my fil (from crown heights) who had symptoms and very likely exposure. Tested negative, and so did a bil.

There are other viruses and we can’t just assume.

Simple1

Post Sat, Mar 28 2020, 8:48 pm
southernbubby wrote:

This is an interesting point. Two years ago I came down with something that included a terrible cough. It obviously wasn't carona, but if I got it now, I would assume it was.

penguin

Post Sat, Mar 28 2020, 9:14 pm
Quote:
And every single doctor that I'm aware of has said that having had covid 19 is NOT a guarantee of immunity.
So what does that mean? We will all live in quarantine for the rest of our lives?

sushilover

Post Sat, Mar 28 2020, 9:39 pm
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
Just letting you know that my fil (from crown heights) who had symptoms and very likely exposure. Tested negative, and so did a bil.

Because this is such a new virus, there is a 15% chance of getting a false negative. If you have symptoms, act like it's Covid-19, even if you test negative.
There is also a possibility of false positives. You can't assume that you are immune even if you tested positive and recovered.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/w.....e=amp

sushilover

Post Sat, Mar 28 2020, 9:46 pm
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:

amother
Crimson

Post Sat, Mar 28 2020, 9:59 pm
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
Seichel would be asking a doctor who is knowledgeable. And every single doctor that I'm aware of has said that having had covid 19 is NOT a guarantee of immunity.

So what you’re saying is no one can ever be in contact with anyone else ever again for the rest of their lives.

Good plan. 🙄

amother
Crimson

Post Sat, Mar 28 2020, 10:01 pm
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
Staying home in similar low risk circumstances while being so careful and wiping down packages because frankly how dumb is it during a pandemic to decide I'm just going to "use my seichel" and do what I want.

It's hard but those of us being responsible are all in it together.

How insensitive is it to people burying family members before yuntiff to be having these debates about trying to cheat the system to have a more enjoyable pesach. This is just not the time.

This isn’t the first pesach where someone somewhere has buried a loved one before the Yom Tov. What does one have to do with the other? Her parents had it. They want her to come over. That’s it. We can’t all decide never to see our parents ever again even after they had the thing we all feared. Sheesh.

amother
Ginger

Post Sat, Mar 28 2020, 10:05 pm
So what you’re saying is no one can ever be in contact with anyone else ever again for the rest of their lives.

Good plan. 🙄

No. What were saying is during a worldwide pandemic you take every precaution. Why is it so difficult for people here to understand that following these rules for a few weeks to a few months is not forever but it's important for right now.

amother
Crimson

Post Sat, Mar 28 2020, 10:31 pm
No. What were saying is during a worldwide pandemic you take every precaution. Why is it so difficult for people here to understand that following these rules for a few weeks to a few months is not forever but it's important for right now.

News flash: this pandemic won’t be over for as long as it takes to make a vaccine. Which is a long time.

A long time. I’ll follow up with you in six months and see if you’re still in quarantine. You won’t be.

amother
Gold

Post Sat, Mar 28 2020, 10:39 pm
Ill be the outlier. They had it. Go for Pesach. Don't ask the internet.

amother
Ginger

Post Sat, Mar 28 2020, 10:41 pm
News flash: this pandemic won’t be over for as long as it takes to make a vaccine. Which is a long time.

A long time. I’ll follow up with you in six months and see if you’re still in quarantine. You won’t be.

At a certain point the curve flattens and the rate of spread slows, the hospitals are better able to deal with those needing care. We are looking at about 12 weeks though people will definitely still get the virus after that time.

amother
Crimson

Post Sat, Mar 28 2020, 10:43 pm
At a certain point the curve flattens and the rate of spread slows, the hospitals are better able to deal with those needing care. We are looking at about 12 weeks though people will definitely still get the virus after that time.

Ok Mrs. Epidemiologist from the CDC. What other predictions would you like to make that no one else is making?

Go for it, OP. Live your life. If your parents already had it and so have you. The rest of them are too panicked by fear.

amother
Aubergine

Post Sat, Mar 28 2020, 11:04 pm
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
Because they have no idea how this virus works is it mutating? Can people get it again? No one has any idea. So it is best and the right thing to stay home. I really cant understand why people cant stay home. Trying to find every excuse under the sun not too!!!! By going out you are endangered your life, your families lives and everyones around you. End of story stay home!!!!!!

Here's my situation; my husband has a serious mental illness. This staying at home is making things ten times worse. He is barely getting out of bed and when he does it's mostly to go outside for a smoke and then come in stinking of smoke, eat, and then back into bed. My children are very active but not very helpful at all. While I have Pesach pots and pans I don't see how this house can be ready on time for pesach realistically, even with only the basics. I am so sorely tempted to sell my apartment for pesach and move in to my parents. Call it excuses all you want but it's very easy for you to judge people when you don't have a clue what's going on in their life.

TzipporahN

Post Sat, Mar 28 2020, 11:05 pm
Wuhan is starting to see re-infections - don't endanger your parents!
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics