Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
PERFUME FOR PESACH
Previous  1  2

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sat, Apr 11 2020, 10:25 pm
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
You are very wrong! That’s why it’s so dangerous when people ask shailos here which they should be asking their rabbi, and people here think they’re equipped to pasken. The alcohol in most perfumes is chometz and should not be used.

I am not very wrong. This is what my rav says. Curious how they test which perfumes are ok. Do they eat it and if they don’t die then it’s rauy l’achalas kelev?

amother
Vermilion

Post Sat, Apr 11 2020, 10:37 pm
Reality wrote:
I'm not sure that is correct. An alcoholic will drink perfume in desperation. Therefore, it should not be chametz.

Wow this is interesting information!
Won't someone die if drinking perfume?

lilies

Post Sat, Apr 11 2020, 10:37 pm
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
I am not very wrong. This is what my rav says. Curious how they test which perfumes are ok. Do they eat it and if they don’t die then it’s rauy l’achalas kelev?

Don't know anything about perfume but I do know this.
You are mocking some great Rabbanim of our time.

sarahmalka

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 12:36 am
For those who wonder why perfume may be a problem on Pesach for some, it's because the alcohol could be made from chometz rather than corn-derived. American-made alcohol in the cosmetic industry is assumed to be corn (bc it's cheaper). Learned this directly from the Rav at my MO shul.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 3:32 am
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
That’s why mothers here shouldn’t pasken, shailos should be asked of rabbis

If someone is asking here, it's not instead of asking a rabbi.

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 5:15 am
I've googled the topic extensively. There truly are multiple rabbinic opinions, all valid, when it comes to cosmetics and perfumes re pesach. Rabbi blumenkrantz definitely held the strictest opinion. He does list a few that are definitely fine, I see klbd (London Beth din) also once mentioned a few companies that are fine, but feel free to consult with your LOR if you don't own any of those approved brands. Btw regarding the argument of raui lachilas kelev, the reason perfume is considered a possible issue is because there is potential for the alcohol to b extracted and reverted back to its original state. It's a fascinating topic). Personally, I use lipstick that's chometz free (the Crc has a great resource on their website to b able to check practically any lipstick), perfume that's also on a list (either blumenkrantz or klbd) and the rest of my makeup I use (unless I know that a specific product has chometz, like oats, in which case I'll avoid using that product). But again, always consult w ur LOR for guidance Smile
Also, btw, if u want to do the same research I did just Google "makeup kosher for pesach" or something to that effect and read up what the OU, Star k and Crc have on their websites
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics