Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Is everybody buying books?!
Previous  1  2

amother
Black

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 6:10 am
I buy used books on ebay. Many sellers will group books together and sell them as a lot. I look for this with kids books. I search, for example, "lot of second grade books" or "lot of chapter books" etc. Many sellers of individual books have buy 3 get one free or buy 3 get 10% off. They usually ship media mail. But even with 2 day shipping no one has touched the books since they were wrapped and shipped for a few days in transit.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 6:23 am
Anyone in israel know where I can order books that will actually come?
I used to order from bookdepository but guessing they won't come

youngishbear

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 6:28 am
Madam F. wrote:
Where did you get the message? I didnt get any (not that I know of). Had I know id have taken out the max allowed lol. I had a few books checked out but I finished them already and made a switch with my friend but I dont think it'll be enough. On the website I saw that they renewed my books until june!! I hope it wont be closed for that long. For me its a must to have on shabbos and yom tov. I dont go for magazines.

I have a library card for both NYPL and BPL.

NYPL closed before BPL. When NYPL sent an email announcing temporary closure, I knew BPL couldn't be too far behind.
I basically cleaned out the classics/assignments shelf.

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 6:46 am
Yeah I stocked up at the library a month ago, when I overheard the clerks talking about closing till April, but we're probably going to finish those books this week. We're starting to look online to buy used books for next Shabbos. It stinks. There's a women's book swap group in my area that I would use, I read ebooks, and I also like to reread old favorites, so I'll be fine, but Dh has very specific tastes in books and only reads on Shabbos/YT so we'll have to buy some for him. It stinks, but I'm just hoping it's for a short period of time.

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 11:03 am
Yes, sadly spending over budget on reading material for shabbos & y"t.

rising hero

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 11:25 am
youngishbear wrote:
I have a library card for both NYPL and BPL.

NYPL closed before BPL. When NYPL sent an email announcing temporary closure, I knew BPL couldn't be too far behind.
I basically cleaned out the classics/assignments shelf.

Ah good for you.

mlc

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 12:01 pm
youngishbear wrote:
Thriftbooks.com

Same!

Elfrida

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 12:35 pm
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
Anyone in israel know where I can order books that will actually come?
I used to order from bookdepository but guessing they won't come

The book depository website says that they will, but are taking longer than normal. That might mean your book will arrive by Rosh HaShana. I'm nervous about using them at the moment because they don't have a tracking number, which increases the chance of the book getting lost.

I'm relying on ebooks for anything new, and rereading old books on Shabbos and Yom Tov. I like rereading anyway, and cleaning for Pesach reminded me of a lot of books tucked away on the back shelves that I haven't read in years, so are almost as good as new.

If you are desperate you can download from Gutenberg or faded page (out of copyright and free) and then print them out to read on Shabbos.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics