Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Stimulus check
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Apr 14 2020, 6:31 pm
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
You’re assuming everyone is like you. I have Silver plated candlesticks and a glass tray. I never had any glitz and never quite have enough to spend on myself so have no shopping to cut back on. And I do my own Shaitels so no savings there either. Not everyone has what you do.

They don't what I do. I was not handed anything. I have what I have because I lived frugally for years first and would never run credit card debt. If you can't make it on $150,000 you are doing something wrong.

You can collect much higher unemployment than the guy who never had the chance to blow through that money.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Apr 15 2020, 5:05 pm
I received mine- it went directly into my bank account

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Apr 16 2020, 9:39 pm
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
I received mine- it went directly into my bank account

Same here

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Apr 16 2020, 9:42 pm
Full tuition is a killer, and it's not optional.

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Apr 16 2020, 10:15 pm
Got mine also directly deposited into my bank account!

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Apr 16 2020, 10:16 pm
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
They don't what I do. I was not handed anything. I have what I have because I lived frugally for years first and would never run credit card debt. If you can't make it on $150,000 you are doing something wrong.

You can collect much higher unemployment than the guy who never had the chance to blow through that money.

Huh?

In NY:
Max unemployment is $504 a week (plus the extra $600 because of the pandemic = $1104
That’s not anywhere what someone making $150k is making. (They would me making more than 3k a week in normal circumstances)

Not if someone makes 50k - they will get $480 unemployment + $600 extra because of the pandemic = $1080

So someone who is making $150k is NOT collecting a lot higher unemployment...

fatso gal

Post Thu, Apr 16 2020, 10:19 pm
Does anyone know what to do of the amount we should have gotten is more than what I got. I had a baby in 2019 but did not file my 2019 return yet.

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Apr 16 2020, 10:29 pm
I read that they are only giving check for children 16 and down. Is that correct? What about my 17 yr old they won’t be get anything?

cnc

Post Thu, Apr 16 2020, 10:30 pm
fatso gal wrote:
Does anyone know what to do of the amount we should have gotten is more than what I got. I had a baby in 2019 but did not file my 2019 return yet.

You'll get it when you file your 2020 tax return.
This is an advance on your 2020 return.

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Apr 16 2020, 11:04 pm
cnc wrote:
You'll get it when you file your 2020 tax return.
This is an advance on your 2020 return.

I’m confused. I thought that you don’t get any less money back for your 2020 tax return based on what you get for the stimulus relief. So I BH got $2900 (I have one kid) and I’m not expecting $2900 to be deducted from my 2020 tax credit. Or let’s say people who make a very low income and are getting more money than they could possibly afford to pay back to the government in 2020...I thought that the stimulus check is totally independent of your 2020 tax credit. Am I understanding this whole thing wrong?

cnc

Post Thu, Apr 16 2020, 11:08 pm
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
I’m confused. I thought that you don’t get any less money back for your 2020 tax return based on what you get for the stimulus relief. So I BH got $2900 (I have one kid) and I’m not expecting $2900 to be deducted from my 2020 tax credit. Or let’s say people who make a very low income and are getting more money than they could possibly afford to pay back to the government in 2020...I thought that the stimulus check is totally independent of your 2020 tax credit. Am I understanding this whole thing wrong?

Yes -
You are eligible for this extra credit on your 2020 refund.
However instead of you having to wait until you file your 2020 return and claiming it then , they’re sending it to you now .
If anything is missing (for example someone had a baby ) , they’ll claim it when they file and get what they’re owed ....

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Apr 16 2020, 11:47 pm
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
I read that they are only giving check for children 16 and down. Is that correct? What about my 17 yr old they won’t be get anything?

Correct - unless you didn't claim 17 year old as dependent.

WhatFor

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 12:11 am
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
Cut down on the glitz. My grandmothers had 2 brass candlesticks for Shabbos. My mom had a 3 candle stainless steel holder. I have tiffany silver candlesticks and a large silver branched candle holder, a thick silver tray, a silver match book holder, a silver taper holder to light candles. I also have a tiffany silver box to hold my tzedukah money.

You mean to tell me my grandmothers weren't good Jews because they didn't have the glitz? This is every aspect of public Judaism. No one needs a $600 escrog and a silver box to hold it in.

This comes across as very "let them eat cake"

amother
Coral

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 12:52 am
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
Correct - unless you didn't claim 17 year old as dependent.

I did claim my 17 yr old as a dependent and just looked at my account and they gave for my husband and fior me and everyone under 16 and not for her. So 17 yr olds aren’t included which really is the pits.

amother
Red

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 1:28 am
MY income has changed from 2018 to now and I wouldn’t be eligible on my current tax return, what does that mean for me, I will owe the money I received on my next tax return?

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 1:31 am
amother [ Red ] wrote:
MY income has changed from 2018 to now and I wouldn’t be eligible on my current tax return, what does that mean for me, I will owe the money I received on my next tax return?

No. They aren't 'clawing back' if your 2020 income would make you ineligible.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 1:33 am
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
I did claim my 17 yr old as a dependent and just looked at my account and they gave for my husband and fior me and everyone under 16 and not for her. So 17 yr olds aren’t included which really is the pits.

Sad

If you don't claim the 17 year old as a dependent on your 2020 tax return, 17 year old may be able to file independently and get $1,200 then.

amother
Vermilion

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 1:45 am
I feel bad accepting the money- BH myself and my husband are still BH BH on payroll and working remotely from home- we are both teachers! We always earned a small teachers salary and our expenses just went up a bit due to quarantine- I feel bad taking the money when there are thousands of pple out of work or their once flourishing business has temporarily shut down.

Is this money meant for pple like me? All those that are unemployed- are they collecting unemployment and getting this stimulus check on top of that?

cnc

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 1:49 am
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
I feel bad accepting the money- BH myself and my husband are still BH BH on payroll and working remotely from home- we are both teachers! We always earned a small teachers salary and our expenses just went up a bit due to quarantine- I feel bad taking the money when there are thousands of pple out of work or their once flourishing business has temporarily shut down.

Is this money meant for pple like me? All those that are unemployed- are they collecting unemployment and getting this stimulus check on top of that?

The stimulus check is automatic . Its for everyone with a certain income on their tax return.
You don’t even have to file for it - it comes automatically .

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 1:51 am
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:

Donate it somewhere you care about if you feel bad spending it.... or hold onto it and spend it at a once flourishing business once it opens up.
Page 3 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics