Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Serial in the ami- chava and shulem
  Previous  1  2  3 6  7  8 28  29  30  Next

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Aug 09 2020, 8:20 pm
yeah! how does she just flop into bed and sleep for hours?

bsy

Post Sun, Aug 09 2020, 8:22 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
yeah! how does she just flop into bed and sleep for hours?

Yeah, especially while pregnant

rainbow dash

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 2:42 am
Ask my kids, as soon as my head hits,the pillow on the couch I'm out. But once I'm in bed at night, takes forever

amother
Natural

Post Fri, Aug 14 2020, 12:39 pm
I think By the time I was married a week I spoke to my husband much much more than the abrupt conversations chava and shalom have with each other when married months.
How did they date?
Didn’t they realize that they literally can’t carry even one decent conversation normally?
I’m not talking only about the last conversation in Israel when they’re on the verge of divorce, this has been going on ALL along.
What’s wrong with them?
And if they really can’t connect properly and discuss things normally why did they ever get married???

Mama Bear

Post Fri, Aug 14 2020, 2:43 pm
The way Chava talks to Mrs Landau reminds me of a sullen, petulant teenager. Instead of focusing on the quesiton at hand she's always bemoaning and catastrophizing. WHY ME? WHY IS MY LIFE A SERIES OF DISASTERS? I'LL NEVER BE HAPPY AGAIN .IT'S NOT FAIR! WHY DOES THIS KEEP HAPPENING TO ME? MY LIFE IS A MESS! etc etc. She never seems to focus on the question at hand.

I don't want to go as far as to say that this series is being written as if an angry junior high school girl is writing it, because I dont want to insult the writer, who I'm sure is a great writer. I'm just frustrated how every single week I get built up to a clim@x that never happens. Every week I hope I'll get some answers and instead I have a repeat of the week before with some minor differences, and it always ends in a single-answer cliffhanger.

It's suspenseful, it's a rush, it's a ride, but it's getting me nowhere! I put down the magazine in frustration every week wondering if I read last week's, or last month's. We've barely gotten anywhere yet. gahhhhhh!!!

Every sentence of spoken dialogue leads in another direction -- the answers to the questions are never what the reader is waiting for, but a meandering in a different direction. I wanna shake the characters and say, "HOLD ON A SECOND. I ASKED A QUESTION. I'M WAITING FOR AN ANSWER." instead of rushing into the next paragraph with unresolved issues. Every serious conversation ends with, " I have to go." And the phone is NEVER answered.... or Chava doesn't pick up.... it's a dizzying cycle of missed connections.

edited to add: one major point of growth now is that chava is finally growing a backbone. she is determined to make this right. and she has realized she does not want to go back to her parents. She's finally growing up and is making her own decisions and wants to live independently, not going by her parents' whims.

See, I'm backtracking now, because there is plenty of merit to this story. I think maybe the meandering style of writing, where we dont stay on track for more than one paragraph but are rushing into something else without resolution to the previous sentence, while yet staying circuitous over and over, is getting to me a little.

amother
Ecru

Post Sat, Aug 15 2020, 9:08 pm
I'm losing interest in this serial because it is going on and on every week, with no real changes.

At first she is connected to her parents, all of a sudden she can't think of going back to them? She flew back to Israel in a whim, just like that? And her parents paid for it? All of a sudden her kind husband is facing her, and insisting on a divorce?

Too many twists that scream fiction, and it is something the author keeps doing to keep us suspenseful. It has gotten to a point where I stopped expecting a good explanation to this bizarre 'marriage'.

ExtraCredit

Post Sat, Aug 15 2020, 9:12 pm
Same here. Getting very bored of it.

Last edited by ExtraCredit on Sat, Aug 15 2020, 9:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Honeydew

Post Sat, Aug 15 2020, 9:14 pm
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
I'm losing interest in this serial because it is going on and on every week, with no real changes.

At first she is connected to her parents, all of a sudden she can't think of going back to them? She flew back to Israel in a whim just like that? And her parents paid for it? All of a sudden her kind husband is facing her, and insisting on a divorce?

Too many twists that scream fiction, and it is something the author keeps doing to keep us suspenseful. It has gotten to a point where I stopped expecting a good explanation to this bizarre 'marriage'.

Totally disagree. I'm finding it very realistic.

She loves her parents, she just cant see herself going back to live with them like a child after all she's been through. It made a lot of sense to me.

Her kind husband is an extremely impulsive and not very well thought out person. He rejects a good lawyer, doesnt think through a proper plea deal and rejects his in laws because they dared be a bit too involved. They've done nothing terrible that I can see. He's hurt that she left him in his time of need so he decided to reject her too.

IMHO, she can do a lot better than him.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sat, Aug 15 2020, 9:14 pm
I really enjoyed the story. But now I'm feeling like its becoming redundant. Nothings happening. Each chapter just keeps repeating itself. I'll say the writer is a very good writer. She manages to keep it at a cliffhanger week after week without adding anything to the story

ExtraCredit

Post Sat, Aug 15 2020, 9:20 pm
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
I really enjoyed the story. But now I'm feeling like its becoming redundant. Nothings happening. Each chapter just keeps repeating itself. I'll say the writer is a very good writer. She manages to keep it at a cliffhanger week after week without adding anything to the story

I agree that she’s a great writer but it appears like she still didn’t figure out the story herself.

amother
Ginger

Post Sat, Aug 15 2020, 9:35 pm
Yup it’s getting boring.
I love it but I’m starting to feel like it’s way to drawn out.
We need letters written to Ami!

Mama Bear

Post Fri, Aug 21 2020, 1:44 pm
Chava finally grows a spine this week and confronts Shulem! What confuses me now is the inconsistency how the characters are being written. I'm not sure who the villains are and who the heroes are. And everyone seems so blinded by their own view of the narrative... so confusing.

amother
Honeydew

Post Fri, Aug 21 2020, 1:51 pm
I don't think there are any villains or heroes. Everyone has a side. Chava finally woke up and realized that yes the whole situation sucked but also her husband has flaws. Her parents arent either villains but flawed ppl. She's also a flawed person and she'll need to forgive herself for that.

That's my take on it, anyway.

amother
Natural

Post Fri, Aug 21 2020, 2:21 pm
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
I don't think there are any villains or heroes. Everyone has a side. Chava finally woke up and realized that yes the whole situation sucked but also her husband has flaws. Her parents arent either villains but flawed ppl. She's also a flawed person and she'll need to forgive herself for that.

That's my take on it, anyway.

I think so too.
In life things aren’t black and white, even good and nice people make real and big mistakes, and hopefully grow from them.
It’s only in the books that there are the good guys and the bad guys.
Chava is growing into a more mature deeper person.
Shalom also has flaws and will hopefully grow from them as well. He’s not as perfect as he was originally made out to be. I’m glad Chava is finally thinking and standing up for herself and not letting everyone just push her around between one nap and the next.
(Which May have been also because of her pregnancy and miscarriage).

frum_lady

Post Fri, Aug 21 2020, 2:30 pm
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
I think so too.
In life things aren’t black and white, even good and nice people make real and big mistakes, and hopefully grow from them.
It’s only in the books that there are the good guys and the bad guys.
Chava is growing into a more mature deeper person.
Shalom also has flaws and will hopefully grow from them as well. He’s not as perfect as he was originally made out to be. I’m glad Chava is finally thinking and standing up for herself and not letting everyone just push her around between one nap and the next.
(Which May have been also because of her pregnancy and miscarriage).

LOL LOL LOL

ExtraCredit

Post Sat, Aug 22 2020, 8:12 pm
Anyone else finding the story getting less sensible by the week? Nerd Nerd Nerd

Ima Piano

Post Sat, Aug 22 2020, 8:40 pm
I'll tell u what I think
No Jewish serial ends in divorce.
How will this end happily ever after?

paintbrush

Post Sat, Aug 22 2020, 8:43 pm
Ima Piano wrote:
I'll tell u what I think
No Jewish serial ends in divorce.
How will this end happily ever after?

Actually I remember one that did

Ima Piano

Post Sat, Aug 22 2020, 8:48 pm
paintbrush wrote:
Actually I remember one that did

It's rare
Which?

paintbrush

Post Sat, Aug 22 2020, 8:55 pm
Ima Piano wrote:
It's rare
Which?

I think it was called the narrow bridge
Page 7 of 30   Previous  1  2  3 6  7  8 28  29  30  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room