Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Serial in the ami- chava and shulem
  Previous  1  2  3 22  23  24 28  29  30  Next

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Dec 10 2020, 9:05 am
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
He wronged her. He did a terrible thing. She can keep going over and over it or if she wants a healthy marriage she can choose the path of forgiveness.

I think ppl whose dhs wronged them can relate.

I wanted them to divorce. Still, I liked the ending.

He didn't do something so terrible. He said he was checking the stuff. Young and stupid? Yeah... she wanted to travel..
I think the bigger problem was her parents entanglement and codependance...they only gave if she did what they wanted.

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Dec 10 2020, 9:10 am
The ending is open-ended. Good writers do that, so the readers can imagine their own endings.
The only flaw to this ending for a serial like Crossroads is that there was a very slow crawl with lots of suspense, but never a real clim@x -- we're left unsatisfied & hungry. We were kind of strung along. Anti-climactic ending. But I really don't see where else the writer could have gone with the story. Maybe if every week wouldn't be such a heart-pounding suspenseful chapter, the calm ending chapter would have fit into the narrative. But being that every week we were led to believe that soon, very soon, the scoop was coming, it feels like an abrupt short-stop.
There's no closure with Chava's relationship with her father, or with Shifra, and we've never once seen her talk to her in -laws throughout all this. She hasn't checked in with her kallah teacher for a while, or her friends Tehila and Rikki. Also missing was a decent therapist or rav. There are lots of untied loose ends, and we kind of need a sequel.
Despite my critique, since the author is probably reading this, I want to thank you for the fun year + you gave your readers. It was definitely an interesting experience following along in the journey of Sholom & Chava.. They emerged much a much more mature & cohesive couple; if anyone goes ack to reread the first few chapters, both of them have come an extremely long way. I'm sure a lot of people can mine their own lessons from the serial; it was a fun read at the end of the day.

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Dec 10 2020, 9:18 am
The ending was blahhhhhh nerdy
Im mad
Lol

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Dec 10 2020, 9:41 am
Dear Author: (if you’re here!)
I didn’t read the last chapter yet I still need to buy it for (erev) Shabbos! but If there will be an epilogue please give them quads!! Lol
And a nice happy beautiful life together!!

Thank you for a great story with very important lessons!

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Dec 10 2020, 9:45 am
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
He didn't do something so terrible. He said he was checking the stuff. Young and stupid? Yeah... she wanted to travel..
I think the bigger problem was her parents entanglement and codependance...they only gave if she did what they wanted.

Huh? Did you read the last chapter?

They were married and behind her back he was smuggling in their luggage. he didnt know it was drugs, but he knew it was illegal.

Imagine yourself, if you and your dh went on vacation and he was smuggling goods without your knwoledge. Oh, and you both get arrested. Chas v'shalom. Still not so terrible?

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Dec 10 2020, 9:47 am
Oh, and then he refuses the lawyer your father got and messes himself up legally because of his pride.

Frankly, I think she should've gotten rid of him.

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Dec 10 2020, 9:49 am
He did it because he had no real way of making money yet, he was a brash young man who wanted to be independent and make some $$$ so he could show his wife he wasnt dependent on her parents or his uncle.
Young adults often make mistakes.
The main thing is if they learn from them, apologize, and fix their behavior.
Constantly reminding them of their wrongdoing and having no room for forgiveness is not a way to live.

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Dec 10 2020, 10:11 am
Mama Bear wrote:
The ending is open-ended. Good writers do that, so the readers can imagine their own endings.
The only flaw to this ending for a serial like Crossroads is that there was a very slow crawl with lots of suspense, but never a real clim@x -- we're left unsatisfied & hungry. We were kind of strung along. Anti-climactic ending. But I really don't see where else the writer could have gone with the story. Maybe if every week wouldn't be such a heart-pounding suspenseful chapter, the calm ending chapter would have fit into the narrative. But being that every week we were led to believe that soon, very soon, the scoop was coming, it feels like an abrupt short-stop.
There's no closure with Chava's relationship with her father, or with Shifra, and we've never once seen her talk to her in -laws throughout all this. She hasn't checked in with her kallah teacher for a while, or her friends Tehila and Rikki. Also missing was a decent therapist or rav. There are lots of untied loose ends, and we kind of need a sequel.
Despite my critique, since the author is probably reading this, I want to thank you for the fun year + you gave your readers. It was definitely an interesting experience following along in the journey of Sholom & Chava.. They emerged much a much more mature & cohesive couple; if anyone goes ack to reread the first few chapters, both of them have come an extremely long way. I'm sure a lot of people can mine their own lessons from the serial; it was a fun read at the end of the day.

All this.
I'm disappointed in the ending, but what you've written is so true.

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Dec 10 2020, 10:28 am
I always bear in mind that the author worked really hard on her serial and just criticizing her without being fair and finding the positives in the story...

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Dec 10 2020, 10:36 am
Right -- however in this scenario painted by this story were it my daughter I would also want her to divorce sorry to say as terrible as divorce may be. This is pretty serious stuff. And they do not have much of a history together or kids.

Did they ever even talk to a therapist? a rov?

Wanting to make money does not excuse fraud or other felony. Poor judgement is putting it nicely.

talk about big ole waving red flags

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Dec 10 2020, 11:15 am
Readers were dragged along week after week, and nothing really happened...
I'm disappointed.

ExtraCredit

Post Thu, Dec 10 2020, 11:22 am
Ugh I shouldn’t have clicked in before Shabbos because I didn’t read it yet. But I did click in and see the update. Wow, I’m truly disappointed! While I appreciate the authors effort and skill I feel that constructive criticism will only help her get further in her career. So here’s mine: the first 20 chapters could’ve been combined into one and now we can use another 20 chapters to see how the story ends. A book like this is truly disappointing. I’m ok with cliffhangers if the story had enough information. In this case the real story hardly began. Again I appreciate the hard work. You definitely kept us in suspense so the talent is there. Hope we get a nice long epilogue at least!

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Dec 10 2020, 11:25 am
as I understand it the author wasnt really sure where she was going with the story & developed it as it went along, which may explain why it was so drawn-out. It was a fun journey nonetheless!

ExtraCredit

Post Thu, Dec 10 2020, 11:28 am
Mama Bear wrote:
as I understand it the author wasnt really sure where she was going with the story & developed it as it went along, which may explain why it was so drawn-out. It was a fun journey nonetheless!

Yes that was pretty obvious and something that she should also change in the future.

tigerwife

Post Thu, Dec 10 2020, 11:30 am
Mama Bear wrote:

Is this standard for serial stories? You don’t need to write at least the whole plot line in advance to get it approved by the editing board?

clowny

Post Thu, Dec 10 2020, 11:31 am
I happen to like the ending. We’ll probably get a epilogue next week anyway.

What I like about the ending, I think it’s a very strong lesson that every person deserves forgiveness and that there should always be room for forgiveness. Every person deserves a second chance! Yes, Shulem wronged Chava and her parents big time and really messed up. But, he really regrets his behaviors and realizes how foolish he was. He was young and stupid and desperate for money. I think he really learned from his mistakes. He is really feeling sorry for Chava. We all make mistakes, don’t we? We’re human and mistakes are ok. The question is how we correct our mistakes. And in this case it seems that it’s going in the right direction.
I think Chava deserves a lot of credit, Simply for giving Shulem a second chance!I really think he deserves it.

clowny

Post Thu, Dec 10 2020, 11:42 am
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
Huh? Did you read the last chapter?

They were married and behind her back he was smuggling in their luggage. he didnt know it was drugs, but he knew it was illegal.

Imagine yourself, if you and your dh went on vacation and he was smuggling goods without your knwoledge. Oh, and you both get arrested. Chas v'shalom. Still not so terrible?
m

He had no idea that it’s drugs and if it’s not drugs, what exactly makes it illegal??
He really thought he was simply doing somebody a favor. And since he was checking its contents the first few times he took a package for that person and it was always ok, at one point he started trusting him more and stopped checking.
The reason he did it behind chava back was not because he was afraid that it’s illegal. He was embarrassed of her that he is so desperate for money, knowing that it’s something that Chava would never understand.

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Dec 10 2020, 2:45 pm
Who gave Shalom the drugs?

ExtraCredit

Post Thu, Dec 10 2020, 2:47 pm
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
Who gave Shalom the drugs?

I’m mad that we don’t know. I was sure we’ll know at least this at the end.

Jewishmom8

Post Thu, Dec 10 2020, 3:26 pm
wait what.
I just read it today and I didn't even realize that was the ending.
that's the ending?
What was the lesson? what was the point? Nothing was resolved.
what happened?
Not satisfied at all
Page 23 of 30   Previous  1  2  3 22  23  24 28  29  30  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room