Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
S/o ami serial-do writers calculate intimate details?
Previous  1  2

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 8:22 am
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
In the mishpacha serial going on now the convo between husband and chana was so odd. Like he was a stranger politely inquiring about her pregnancy as if he had zero involvement at all. I know its because there's only so much you can get away with and I was shocked they even wrote about her finding out she was pregnant, but the conversation was so odd and off putting.

What would a conversation look like if he had acknowledged his involvement lol?

Rabbi Schwartzberg proudly gazed at his gorgeous Rebbetzin, carrying his child, with unbridled adoration as they recounted the passionate night he impregnated her

Im curious if this is what you mean?

Not taking a side just havin fun

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 9:09 am
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
What would a conversation look like if he had acknowledged his involvement lol?

Rabbi Schwartzberg proudly gazed at his gorgeous Rebbetzin, carrying his child, with unbridled adoration as they recounted the passionate night he impregnated her

Im curious if this is what you mean?

Not taking a side just havin fun

Not his actual involvement in the production, but that conversation was so cold and distant. He seemed to only vaguely know how far along she was and all he can say is "let me know if I should get something from the grocery one day if you're tired" (not a direct quote)

Sounded more like a friend she speaks to once every three months because they are both busy, not the husband and dad of this future baby.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 9:23 am
I wouldn't want intimate details of, for instance, a close friend, but a book is from the perspective of the character, you should be having the feelings and thoughts of the character. Most jewish books fall a bit flat. The relationships between spouses often seem more like room-mates, and ones who barely know each other.
Consider a pregnancy. When you're pregnant, whether or not you tell from the moment you know, you would still share details with friends. I know I would complain to my friends about varicose veins, feeling tired, clothes not fitting etc etc-all basic stuff that doesn't reveal anything too detailed (I think). My dh will get the next level up-the I'm not coping-not interested in you tonight etc-all stuff that can strain the marriage from the physical aspect.
From a jewish book, it seems like a girl goes from getting married, to having a baby drop on them from the heavens. Yes I don't need the exact conceiving re-enacted on page, but just a sense of a couple being a couple.
I think the trouble is that the jewish market isn't so big, so people write books that can be read by teens as well. Maybe we should allow books to have trigger warnings at the beginning. 'Please be aware this book will contain details of pregnancy. If you are uncomfortable with this, do not give it to your children.'
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics