Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Music and Performing Arts
What is Jewish music anyway????
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

Ema of 5

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 6:05 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
I literally can not hear what tune this is supposed to be. From alladin?

Speechless, from the new Aladdin. I’ve also heard Hebrew words out to some songs from the greatest showman.

LovesHashem

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 6:15 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
I literally can not hear what tune this is supposed to be. From alladin?

It's from the live action hit remake. The song is not in the original Aladdin. The song is called speechless.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 6:18 am
Hillery wrote:
Well exactly. I know that and I'm not saying anything different. Just that when Ashkenasim talk about Jewish music and they talk styles, they're not saying Sefardi music isn't kosher, rather they're not talking about Sefardi music at all.
I hear what you are saying. Im just saying one can be ashkenaz and like sfadri music and one can be sfardi and like ashkenazi music Smile

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 6:19 am
Ema of 4 wrote:
Speechless, from the new Aladdin. I’ve also heard Hebrew words out to some songs from the greatest showman.
Oy, the greatest showman songs, I dont like the jewish versions at all.
I know the speechless song, I didnt hear that Smile

imasinger

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 6:48 am
The first time I heard some of the Maccabeats remixes of popular songs or Broadway show mashups coming from frum radio stations, I did a similar double take.

Just because there's no accompaniment doesn't necessarily make it appropriate for times of mourning.

Again, JMO.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 8:26 am
Ema of 4 wrote:
But so many people won’t, because they never hear the secular songs. Most kids listening to uncle Moishy or country Yossi or any other music that comes from secular music, have no idea what they are actually singing.
Do you know the very popular “mishe mishe mishe nichnas Adar, marbim marbim marbim besimcha”? It’s not a Jewish song. But EVERYONE sings it. Most people probably don’t even know that it’s not a Jewish song.

So who knew the original tune? People like me with a "misspent youth" or who spend too much time at malls/stores/doctor's offices? And of course....the person who came up with the idea.

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 9:21 am
PinkFridge wrote:
So who knew the original tune? People like me with a "misspent youth" or who spend too much time at malls/stores/doctor's offices? And of course....the person who came up with the idea.

That was literally my job for years when I worked on productions in Lakewood... I was the musical “Shabbos [non jew]” who found music for productions that wasn’t insanely overused (all Disney songs) but wouldn’t shame the hanhala if any BTs were in the audience. It was fascinating to see how the “new creative blood” I’d pumped into the system would start to circulate and would become “accepted” and reused by other schools after being passed around on cds and flash drives with no connection to their original roots.

No matter what people say about talent in the frum music world (usually sheltered people), you just really can’t compete in the musical theater genre against the infinitely superior professionals in that area. After a while, all the Bais Yaakov originals sound the same and I don’t think it’s wrong to bring in some fresh sounds.

We did dances to music from the soundtrack to Battlestar Galactica, Sherlock Holmes, electric violin remixes of classical music, the tracks from Pirates of the Caribbean that *weren’t* horribly overused, and made up new lyrics to songs from obscure 90s non-Disney animated movies, Scottish folk songs, Muppet Treasure Island, and others.

And while the playbills didn’t advertise that a song was “TTTO of “On My Father’s Wings” from Quest for Camelot”, I insisted they credit the composers, even if they had to use “first initial, last name” format to make it appear more kosher...

I refused to use “radio songs”, songs from RENT or any other truly treif works. One time I had to tell the sweet sheltered director that the cool piece of music she’d found was actually an arrangement of an Xmas carol (“Carol of the Bells” by Trans-Siberian Orchestra is EPIC).

naturalmom5

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 9:44 am
How about this oldie but goodies

My husband became frum in his teens before this came out

It wasnt until after we were married that I told him it wasnt a heilige chasidishe niggun

Even though he heard Asher Boro at many Toldo Ahron chasanas

bigsis144

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 9:53 am
More stolen music:

This one made me really sad to discover, I always liked Yehuda!’s music.

avrahamama

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 10:02 am
Don't be sad! Understand that it's the Jew that elevates the music.

Also there are some excellent singer songwriters out there that compose their own original stuff. The Razel family is spectacularly talented. And they are leviim tooooo.

bigsis144

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 10:02 am

But this is the viral video that made it famous in the infancy of the internet:

bigsis144

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 10:05 am
Piamenta “borrowed” more than one song:

bigsis144

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 10:15 am
avrahamama wrote:
Don't be sad! Understand that it's the Jew that elevates the music.

I’m not sad that I was secretly listening to non-Jewish music. I listen to non-Jewish music all the time.

I am just upset when frum artists “steal” and don’t credit their inspiration/source.

“Sampling” is a major part of modern music, as are covers and remixes and cross-cultural pollination. It’s wonderful! I just wish frum artists ADMITTED THEY DO IT TOO.

I find it ironic that my teachers growing up used Shlock Rock as the example of “non Jewish music disguised as Jewish”, when it was literally marketed as fun parody music! It wasn’t disguising anything! It’s the disingenuous “no one will know” people that make my blood boil.

zohar

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 10:17 am
naturalmom5 wrote:
How about this oldie but goodies

My husband became frum in his teens before this came out

It wasnt until after we were married that I told him it wasnt a heilige chasidishe niggun

Even though he heard Asher Boro at many Toldo Ahron chasanas

I would put this in a bit of a different category. Asher Boro is a Piamenta song. The Piamentas were not shy about the fact that they were using non Jewish music. They were not trying to pass it off as their own. Country Yossi is the same. Most of his songs are actually parodies. They were straightforward and forthcoming with that in information.

bigsis144

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 10:20 am

It’s just the intro that’s “borrowed”, but the song it’s from is so so inappropriate...

bigsis144

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 10:24 am

If you’re gonna steal, at least don’t use something so... whatever that is 😐

WitchKitty

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 10:24 am
The music I let myself listen to is the music that I feel fits my ruchniyus at this point.
The way I look at it, yiddishkeit and yidden have changed since matan torah, in almost everything. Music too.
Music has changed, but I have changed too. Music is less Jewish than it was, but in a way, we all are. So why not listen to what fits what you are?

zohar

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 10:27 am
bigsis144 wrote:
I’m not sad that I was secretly listening to non-Jewish music. I listen to non-Jewish music all the time.

I am just upset when frum artists “steal” and don’t credit their inspiration/source.

“Sampling” is a major part of modern music, as are covers and remixes and cross-cultural pollination. It’s wonderful! I just wish frum artists ADMITTED THEY DO IT TOO.

I find it ironic that my teachers growing up used Shlock Rock as the example of “non Jewish music disguised as Jewish”, when it was literally marketed as fun parody music! It wasn’t disguising anything! It’s the disingenuous “no one will know” people that make my blood boil.

I'm not sure if the Piamentas actually credited the original songs on their albums, but my recollection is that they were very honest about it. While some of the more mainstream Jewish artists and composers were not.
Also, there are original Jewish composers. I don't think Yirmie Damen has lifted a non Jewish song and passed it off as a Chassidish nigun. But it's obvious he is influenced by pop music. His songs do not sound like the songs of previous generations. I actually think that's a positive thing. Same with Abie Rottenberg, who, in my opinion, it's the most talented and original composer in Jewish music. He is also influence by the outside music. Lots of his songs are Country for example.
There is another composer, I won't mention his name, but I don't think he has lifted non Jewish songs. But he isn't a very good composer. All his songs sounds exactly the same.

bigsis144

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 10:39 am
At 2:31 the orchestra plays the Shire Theme from
Lord of the Rings. Was it an intentional wink at the audience, as a *wedding ring* was being shown in the slideshow?? Were the chilonim in the audience snickering to themselves while the frummies who came for a Shwekey concert were blissfully unaware?

naturalmom5

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 11:01 am

Bsiyata dshomays wherever I go
Page 4 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Music and Performing Arts