Which party is anti Israel?
Previous  1, 2

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

OBnursemom

Post  Sun, May 24 2020, 6:25 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
Before Corona we had the best economy and lowest unemployment in decades
You would prefer someone who talks nice and does nothing for you

You and I clearly don’t agree politically. You feel how you feel, and I feel differently. That’s okay.

FranticFrummie

Post  Sun, May 24 2020, 6:31 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:

This would make a great S/0. "Would Hillary have done a better job during the Corona Crisis?"

I have no idea, and I'm not so politically invested to start the conversation myself. Perhaps someone who is a little better informed than I am could chime in.

Jeanette

Post  Sun, May 24 2020, 6:39 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
This would make a great S/0. "Would Hillary have done a better job during the Corona Crisis?"

I have no idea, and I'm not so politically invested to start the conversation myself. Perhaps someone who is a little better informed than I am could chime in.

You can't prove a negative so this discussion is impossible to have.

FranticFrummie

Post  Sun, May 24 2020, 7:25 pm
Jeanette wrote:
You can't prove a negative so this discussion is impossible to have.

Of course you can't prove anything, unless you have access to a parallel alternate reality.

You can still have a hypothetical, speculative conversation full of "what ifs".

Jeanette

Post  Sun, May 24 2020, 7:33 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Of course you can't prove anything, unless you have access to a parallel alternate reality.

You can still have a hypothetical, speculative conversation full of "what ifs".

Given that this is imamother, I know exactly how the discussion would go:

If Hillary was president we'd all be dead now!

If Hillary was president we'd be a colony of China!

If Hillary was president Israel would be replaced by Palestine!

If Hillary was president all our children would be held as slaves in a pizza basement!

Reality

Post  Sun, May 24 2020, 8:52 pm
OBnursemom wrote:
No problem. In addition, because so many people hate Trump, they are critical regarding all his decisions, including the pro-Israel ones. Thus we have people I usually consider reasonable hating on Israel, because Trump focused on them. Such high profile decisions are in danger of being reversed and never repeated. I don’t know what I want, but having people (voters) hostile toward Israel is not a happy position.

That doesn't bother you? Why would someone have so much hatred towards the politician on the other side of the aisle that they can't acknowledge anything good they do?

I am a pretty conservative person so I really didn't like a lot of President Obama's policies especially his Mid-East policies but I never felt the need to rip him to shreds. I have no problem saying he is a good husband and father etc...

Yet you have so many people now who can't say one good thing about President Trump and look for the bad in every good thing he has done including all of his pro-Israel decisions.

OBnursemom

Post  Sun, May 24 2020, 9:23 pm
Reality wrote:
That doesn't bother you? Why would someone have so much hatred towards the politician on the other side of the aisle that they can't acknowledge anything good they do?

I am a pretty conservative person so I really didn't like a lot of President Obama's policies especially his Mid-East policies but I never felt the need to rip him to shreds. I have no problem saying he is a good husband and father etc...

Yet you have so many people now who can't say one good thing about President Trump and look for the bad in every good thing he has done including all of his pro-Israel decisions.

It does bother me that people will associate pro-Israel policies with Trump. As for Obama- back then every news thread had a bunch of comments about Obummer, Nobama, Kenya, and other lovely compliments.

Cheiny

Post  Wed, May 27 2020, 8:47 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:

Bingo.

SixOfWands

Post  Thu, May 28 2020, 12:36 am
Jeanette wrote:
I choose an American president based on who's good for America.

Fortunately, Jews in Israel also have a right to vote and they can choose politicians who will act in their best interests.

Middle east policy is a very small part of what a US president is focused on. If the rest of his domestic and foreign policy stink, that has much more of an impact on Jewish lives than if he says some nice words about Israel once in a while.

That's true, but I would never vote for a president who was anti-Israel. Fortunately, I don't have to worry about that.

During the Obama presidency, Israel received more than $20.5 billion in foreign military financing. Obama became the first president to approve the sale of bunker-buster bombs to Israel (denied by Bush). More importantly, Obama funded and supported the research, development and production of Iron Dome (also rejected by Bush) as well as the joint U.S.-Israel missile defense systems David’s Sling, the Arrow II and Arrow III. Under Obama, the United States provided Israel with more than $1.3 billion for the Iron Dome system alone.

In the fall of 2012, the U.S. and Israel participated in Austere Challenge 12, the largest joint military exercise ever to be held between the two countries.

Unlike Bush, who gave Israel’s Iron Dome system a frosty response,

The military cooperation has been so strong that in a 2012 speech to the Israel National Defense College, then-Defense Minister Ehud Barak said, “The security ties between us and the current administration are at the highest level they have ever been.”

Oh, and since we're talking about Republicans in general, not only did W. refuse to stand with Israel on promoting Iron Dome and selling bunker-buster bombs, but in 2005 he also froze nearly all U.S.-Israeli joint defense projects. And, just before Bush left office, the U.S. abstained rather than veto a one-sided UN Security Council resolution calling for a cease-fire in the Gaza Strip. Under Ronald Reagan, the U.S. joined a Security Council resolution condemning Israel for its destruction of Iraq’s Osirak nuclear facility and, despite Israel’s strong objections, undermined the Jewish state's qualitative military edge by selling AWACS surveillance planes to Saudi Arabia. Dwight Eisenhower threated to isolate Israel during the Suez war; and George I opposed loan guarantees to Israel.

And yes, the US did abstain from a resolution condemning Israel’s settlements on the West Bank as a flagrant violation of international law; and demanded that Israel “immediately and completely cease all settlement activities in the occupied Palestinian territory, including East Jerusalem”; and reiterates the international consensus in favour of a two-state solution to Israeli-Palestinian conflict. But it was done, in the view of the Obama administration, because they viewed it as essential for preserving Israel as a Jewish and democratic country.

You may not like the Democrats' vision for Israel, but that doesn't mean they are anti-Israel.
Previous  1, 2 Recent Topics

Page 2 of 2 View latest: 24h 48h 72h