Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Is your baby going to be undressed on Yom Tov?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, May 28 2020, 1:10 pm
Carters and Children’s place. Love love love.

Hashemlovesme1

Post Thu, May 28 2020, 1:13 pm
We love Carter’s! My baby is wearing Carter’s onesies (long or short sleeve, depending on the weather). For shabbos I try to get the ones with the polo shirt collar so it looks somewhat dressed up, but that’s what we call “fancy!”

amother
Copper

Post Thu, May 28 2020, 1:19 pm
Your baby is going to be adorable and delicious no matter what he's wearing, it's just the way babies are. My ds is 6 and I've never bought him anything expensive because kids grow way too fast and he's not going to be careful with his clothes and I wouldn't really want to ask him to stop being a carefree child just because I put him in something expensive. We shop at Children's Place and Carter's, he has a couple of suits from those places and they're nice enough for a small child but I wouldn't spend more than $30 on a Yom Tov outfit for him. Carter's does have some cute dress-up clothes but they generally only have them to coincide with Xtian holidays Can't Believe It So like March/April and then again in December they'll have "holiday" outfits. Or sometimes beginning of the school year they'll have blazers and whatnot.

Try not to worry so much about how baby is dressed, babies don't need to be in anything expensive. As a fellow Ima who will always stand out no matter what, if we're already going to stand out, we might as well be happy and have our kids be happy and comfortable while still looking good. Give people happy faces to stare at Wink

Zehava

Post Thu, May 28 2020, 1:22 pm
This thread very much reminds me of the geirim/BT thread. Everyone with their pc responses that don’t reflect Frum urban reality at all.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, May 28 2020, 1:28 pm
Zehava wrote:
This thread very much reminds me of the geirim/BT thread. Everyone with their pc responses that don’t reflect Frum urban reality at all.

I don’t know the thread you’re referring to but I don’t understand your comment. I very much live in town. I’m just not a sheep who buys whatever other people deemed to be in style. I’ve never been a person who cares about being exactly the same as everyone else. I buy what I like and what I can afford. If you’re saying that OP won’t have friends because her baby isn’t the wearing the latest nonsense, I’m sorry that’s your reality but it’s not mine. You can be frum and urban and still be who you are and find likeminded non shallow people who don’t care what you or your kids wear

Blessing1

Post Thu, May 28 2020, 1:32 pm
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
I don’t know the thread you’re referring to but I don’t understand your comment. I very much live in town. I’m just not a sheep who buys whatever other people deemed to be in style. I’ve never been a person who cares about being exactly the same as everyone else. I buy what I like and what I can afford. If you’re saying that OP won’t have friends because her baby isn’t the wearing the latest nonsense, I’m sorry that’s your reality but it’s not mine. You can be frum and urban and still be who you are and find likeminded non shallow people who don’t care what you or your kids wear

I actually agree with Zehava. OP will be in a chassidish community for Yom Tov and I don't think you'll see a baby in that community dressed in a Onesie. You probably won't see it in any other chassidish and probably yeshivish community. I consider a Onesie an undershirt. You can dress a baby nice and shabbosdig without spending alot. Zara, H&M, and even Amazon have very nice shabbos clothing.
It is not shallow to want your kids to be dressed cute. And everyone has their own taste in what cute means. It's also not shallow not to want to be the misfit in the community.

Last edited by Blessing1 on Thu, May 28 2020, 3:06 pm; edited 2 times in total

Ora in town

Post Thu, May 28 2020, 1:43 pm
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:
Too bad my son is gonna be wearing clothes from carters for yom tov... in fact he’s gonna be very underdressed...like not dressed fancy enough.
He’s only a baby I want him to be comfortable. BUT I am going to feel a little self conscious because everyone else’s babies are going to be really dressed up and my baby’s gonna stick out and we already stick out enough as it is...
Anybody else?
Sorry but the baby boy outfits are expensiiiiive!!
#atleasthehasclothes

Is this serious?
Or are you mocking people who think like that?
To me it's unfathomable that something like this could be a problem...

sky

Post Thu, May 28 2020, 1:49 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
I actually agree with Zehava. OP will be in Williamsburg for Yom Tov and I don't think you'll see a baby in Williamsburg dressed in a Onesie. You probably won't see it in BP & Lakewood either or any other chassidish and probably yeshivish community. I consider a Onesie an undershirt. You can dress a baby nice and shabbosdig without spending alot. Zara, H&M, and even Amazon have very nice shabbos clothing.
It is not shallow to want your kids to be dressed cute. And everyone has their own taste in what cute means. It's also not shallow not to want to be the misfit in the community.

I live in Lakewood - laid back neighborhood.
My little kids wear plenty of Carter’s and children’s place in Shabbos (and some H&M).
(Weekday is only children’s place this year for little ones)
In my neighborhood it’s fine especially for before school age.
I could see other neighborhoods being uncomfortable.

mha3484

Post Thu, May 28 2020, 1:57 pm
My little girl will wear the carters dress she got for her birthday pesach time but where is there to go where anyone will see us? The playground is closed and women and children cant go to shul yet.

Blessing1

Post Thu, May 28 2020, 1:59 pm
Ora in town wrote:
Is this serious?
Or are you mocking people who think like that?
To me it's unfathomable that something like this could be a problem...

Mocking??? Where do you see mocking in that post?

SixOfWands

Post Thu, May 28 2020, 2:02 pm
Zehava wrote:

I'm frum. I live in an urban area. My kids wore Carters and Children's Place. They didn't have fancy Shabbat clothes until they were much older. They've lived to tell the tale.

I cannot speak to YOUR neighborhood, of course. But presumably others here can and have.

In any case, where is the baby going? Even if there are double secret probation shuls going on (which I don't want to hear about), I highly doubt that OP is bringing her baby to one. Massive lunch or dinner? Again, unlikely. Maybe a more intimate close friends and family (which again, I won't comment on), which is an entirely different thing. Outside, let the kid be comfy.

OP, if anyone is ridiculous enough to comment on your baby's clothes, try the following (1) Onesie? My mom picked this up at a French boutique on the UWS just before the lockdown. Its what every stylish baby is wearing. I'd hate my child to be so (glance at idiot's kids) 'last year.' (2) Did you say he's not cute? (That'll flummox them). (3) He had an explosive poop all over his [insert expensive brand] outfit just before we came out. I hope he's not coming down with something. Can you hold him for a sec.

amother
Plum

Post Thu, May 28 2020, 2:05 pm
LOL Carter's is the expensive stuff. Try the outlets for good prices. Very cute outfits! How can you stand out while social distancing? Even if people gather to chat on the street, they're not standing near enough to see what brand the baby is wearing. Don't worry about it.

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, May 28 2020, 2:06 pm
My first baby I got compliments all day long on her fancy cute clothes... all bought second hand for pennies. If you actually care, it is feasible especially with only one baby. Check ebay, learn what brands you like...

That said, no one actually cares about what other babies are wearing so if you are good with Carter's, do you.

Blessing1

Post Thu, May 28 2020, 2:26 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
I'm frum. I live in an urban area. My kids wore Carters and Children's Place. They didn't have fancy Shabbat clothes until they were much older. They've lived to tell the tale.

I cannot speak to YOUR neighborhood, of course. But presumably others here can and have.

In any case, where is the baby going? Even if there are double secret probation shuls going on (which I don't want to hear about), I highly doubt that OP is bringing her baby to one. Massive lunch or dinner? Again, unlikely. Maybe a more intimate close friends and family (which again, I won't comment on), which is an entirely different thing. Outside, let the kid be comfy.

OP, if anyone is ridiculous enough to comment on your baby's clothes, try the following (1) Onesie? My mom picked this up at a French boutique on the UWS just before the lockdown. Its what every stylish baby is wearing. I'd hate my child to be so (glance at idiot's kids) 'last year.' (2) Did you say he's not cute? (That'll flummox them). (3) He had an explosive poop all over his [insert expensive brand] outfit just before we came out. I hope he's not coming down with something. Can you hold him for a sec.

No one said anything about people commenting.
A Onesie isn't clothing and you don't typically see babies out in onesies, especially in frum neighborhoods on shabbos and yom tov.
We're allowed to dress our babies nicely just for ourselves or to fit into the community. Nothing wrong with that. Sometimes on these sort of threads I get the vibe that people go out of their way to dress their kids nerdy and cheaply looking and it's a contest who's kids are dressed the cheapest, and whoever likes to dress their kids nice and in style is "shallow".
There's nothing wrong with having different taste and wanting to dress your kids in style.
And nowdays, you can find on Aliexpress identical clothing to what the Jewish stores have for practically pennies. Cheap doesn't have to mean nebby and nerdy.

Last edited by Blessing1 on Thu, May 28 2020, 2:32 pm; edited 2 times in total

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, May 28 2020, 2:26 pm
Since my baby is a girl, I just put on carters or children's place dresses. They're cute and I get the fancier ones for shabbos/yom tov. I know some people don't like dresses on pre-walking babies, but it doesn't bother me. My baby looks cute and Shabbos'dig in them, and they are pretty cheap.

behappy2

Post Thu, May 28 2020, 2:30 pm
My preschooler is in TJ Max. She looks yum yum in my humble opinion Smile

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, May 28 2020, 2:32 pm
Zehava wrote:

That’s probably because we are not all part of the frum urban community. There is some diversity here. But now I’m curious what is the real frum urban viewpoint?

avrahamama

Post Thu, May 28 2020, 2:35 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
A Onesie isn't clothing and you don't typically see babies out in onesies, especially in frum neighborhoods on shabbos and yom tov.
We're allowed to dress our babies nicely just for ourselves or to fit into the community. Nothing wrong with that. Sometimes on these sort of threads I get the vibe that people go out of their way to dress their kids nerdy and cheaply looking and it's a contest who's kids are dressed the cheapest, and whoever likes to dress their kids nice and in style is "shallow".
There's nothing wrong with having different taste and wanting to dress your kids in style.
And nowdays, you can find on Aliexpress identical clothing to what the Jewish stores have for practically pennies. Cheap doesn't have to mean nebby and nerdy.

How about I won't call you shallow if you don't call me nerdy.

(I'm sorry I didn't mean to sound snarky. But it wasn't very kindly put. I don't think people who dress their kids I'm trendy clothes are shallow. But I also don't think babies dressed in just a onesie are nerdy. I mean of all things to be judgemental about ... This would be last on my list)

Last edited by avrahamama on Thu, May 28 2020, 2:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

SixOfWands

Blessing1 wrote:
We're allowed to dress our babies nicely just for ourselves or to fit into the community. Nothing wrong with that. Sometimes on these sort of threads I get the vibe that people go out of their way to dress their kids nerdy and cheaply looking and it's a contest who's kids are dressed the cheapest. There's nothing wrong with having different taste and wanting to dress your kids in style.

I'm not sure where you get that from what I said, but to be clear.

There's nothing wrong with spending on your babies' clothes if that's what you enjoy. And it would be just as wrong to comment on that as it would be to comment on "cheap" or "nerdy" clothing.

The only thing I express my dislike of (and then only to my husband) is people who dress their kids in clearly uncomfortable clothing (as in the kid is fidgeting and scratching) or clothes that don't allow them to play.

amother
Chartreuse

Zehava wrote:

Why? Because your friends happen to look down at you for buying carter's? I'm haooy to say I don't have a single friend like that. Life is stressful enough, why go look for more of it?

Ftr I live in Williamsburg.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics