Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Israel
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Iymnok

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 6:30 am
My DD (5th grade) just came in saying that 5 girls were coughing and were sent home. She’s scared to that if she goes to school she’ll end up in bidud.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 6:33 am
Iymnok wrote:
My DD (5th grade) just came in saying that 5 girls were coughing and were sent home. She’s scared to that if she goes to school she’ll end up in bidud.
Right, I think kids are now not so nervous to actually get corona, but are terrified of having to go into bidud :/
Same with my daughter. Scared of having to be in bidud or at home, again, for an extended period of time.

salt

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 6:36 am
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
I'm going to be extremely pedantic and point out that most of the kids who have Corona aren't actually sick with Corona, they just have it. I'm not sure about the exact statistic but I think they are now saying that about 4/5 people with Corona are asymptomatic.

I'm a nurse in an Israeli hospital and it bugs me that our computer system refers to every patient as "החולה" (translation "the sick person"). In my department the majority of patients aren't sick.

'Choleh' is just the Hebrew word for 'patient'.

blessedflower

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 6:38 am
DrMom wrote:
Recent wide-scale serological tests showed that ~10x more people in Israel were exposed to this virus than there are recorded cases.

Still, even with those extra cases taken into account, only 2-3% of the population was exposed.

So it should be an interesting winter...
yes, that's one of the things that scares me. Israel dealt good with covid19, one the other hand we are in the dark about what's going to come. While the whole world is, Israel is more vulnerable right now because we didn't have a serious outbreak yet. Ups and downs are going to come, the question is how it's going to look like. Not having the answer prevents me from enjoying the fact that my dd is in school, shops are open, my dh is working normal hours again... I'm in a fight with myself all day, should I go there, should I do that, am I to strict with my dd?

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 6:40 am
salt wrote:
Patient is a מטופל

banana123

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 6:46 am
salt wrote:

"Metupal" is a more accurate and common word for patient. But "metupalei korona" wouldn't make sense.

Last edited by banana123 on Sun, Jun 07 2020, 9:12 am; edited 1 time in total

DrMom

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 6:56 am
I feel like we went fro having clearly articulated policy to a muddled mess.

Headline from today's ynet:

Quote:
Top health official warns of rise in serious virus cases, opposes closures

Health Ministry official Dr. Tal Brosh says due to public's lax conduct regarding social distancing we'll see more intubated patients in 'two weeks' time'; adds current policy on closing down entire schools after one or two reported infections is too extreme

He seems to be blaming the outbreaks on the general public for not being strict enough with SD/masks, but the data shows that by far, the #1 source of outbreaks is SCHOOLS... and he opposes closing schools even when there is an outbreak in a given school.

Scratching Head

My worry is that people will cease to comply with restrictions altogether if we don't see the Health Ministry taking things seriously, or at least explaining the logic behind their policy.

(I assume their unstated logic = let them get sick now rather than in winter when we'll have regular flu to deal with too.)

etky

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 7:09 am
DrMom wrote:
I feel like we went fro having clearly articulated policy to a muddled mess.

Headline from today's ynet:

Quote:
Top health official warns of rise in serious virus cases, opposes closures

Health Ministry official Dr. Tal Brosh says due to public's lax conduct regarding social distancing we'll see more intubated patients in 'two weeks' time'; adds current policy on closing down entire schools after one or two reported infections is too extreme

He seems to be blaming the outbreaks on the general public for not being strict enough with SD/masks, but the data shows that by far, the #1 source of outbreaks is SCHOOLS... and he opposes closing schools even when there is an outbreak in a given school.

Scratching Head

My worry is that people will cease to comply with restrictions altogether if we don't see the Health Ministry taking things seriously, or at least explaining the logic behind their policy.

I've reached the conclusion that there is no more logic or coherence - within ministries themselves and certainly when dealing with the government as a whole.
Everyone is just reacting to events as they happen. To be fair though, I'm not quite sure how it could be otherwise. It's not like there are any precedents to this type of situation.

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 8:50 am
IMO No Israel did not do better by locking up. I said in the beginning that this may happen....They just postponed getting it...and locking up people a second time will be much harder now.

ora_43

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 8:57 am
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
IMO No Israel did not do better by locking up. I said in the beginning that this may happen....They just postponed getting it...and locking up people a second time will be much harder now.

Israeli health officials said in the beginning that this would happen. This was not an unexpected outcome.

Success10

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 9:31 am
etky wrote:
I've reached the conclusion that there is no more logic or coherence - within ministries themselves and certainly when dealing with the government as a whole.
Everyone is just reacting to events as they happen. To be fair though, I'm not quite sure how it could be otherwise. It's not like there are any precedents to this type of situation.

There is logic and they do have a plan. They are just not publicizing it as it sounds rather sinister in written form. But that doesn't mean it's not the best course of action.

amother
Black

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 10:53 am
Success10 wrote:
There is logic and they do have a plan. They are just not publicizing it as it sounds rather sinister in written form. But that doesn't mean it's not the best course of action.

They are setting the stage to blame individuals for a societal problem.
Then they can say, "what could we do? No one listened" when in fact they made a big mistake in rushing the reopening (even faster than they originally said) and not putting a viable plans for schools in place. ( telling teenagers to wear masks and SD in school for hours a day does not count as a viable plan)

Ora in town

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 11:12 am
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
I'm going to be extremely pedantic and point out that most of the kids who have Corona aren't actually sick with Corona, they just have it. I'm not sure about the exact statistic but I think they are now saying that about 4/5 people with Corona are asymptomatic.

I'm a nurse in an Israeli hospital and it bugs me that our computer system refers to every patient as "החולה" (translation "the sick person"). In my department the majority of patients aren't sick.

Well, I think it is important to identify who has Corona, in order to stop the spread.
If they call people who are infected, but without symptoms choleh, that is less problematic than not identifying them...

etky

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 11:15 am
Success10 wrote:

You mean they're aiming for herd immunity during the summer while the virus seems somewhat attenutated (as we discussed in the Life in Israel thread) and they're not coming out and saying it?
Yes, I do think that that is one of the unspoken goals but I'm not sure that it's even been coherently formulated as such by the government and/or that all ministries are on board with it. I also think that they're not sure themselves that this is something to be encouraged and that each day brings different conclusions. For example - train service is no longer slated to be resumed tomorrow although last week they had decided that it would resume on schedule. So, who knows? There are so many different interest groups at play here and so many opinions and no one knows how things will develop.

etky

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 11:19 am
Ora in town wrote:
Well, I think it is important to identify who has Corona, in order to stop the spread.
If they call people who are infected, but without symptoms choleh, that is less problematic than not identifying them...

So, that is also a subject of controversy in the medical and political establishments.
Some insist on distinguishing between חולים and נשאים (carriers) and some just lump them together as חולים - depending on what point of view one subscribes to and which course of action one is a proponent of.

DrMom

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 11:52 am
ora_43 wrote:
Israeli health officials said in the beginning that this would happen. This was not an unexpected outcome.

Right, but they also laid out clear, measurable criteria which would slow the pace at which they eased restrictions.

Does anyone even remember what those criteria were?

Success10

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 12:28 pm
DrMom wrote:
Right, but they also laid out clear, measurable criteria which would slow the pace at which they eased restrictions.

Does anyone even remember what those criteria were?

Seems irrelevant now, they changed the plans.

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 12:58 pm
Are the 3 deaths from the past 24 hours from new cases or old cases?

etky

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 1:11 pm
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
Are the 3 deaths from the past 24 hours from new cases or old cases?

Old ones.

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 1:13 pm
etky wrote:
Old ones.

I see. I asked just because I'm wondering whether even though the virus is circulating now, maybe it's much less potent because of the heat even when someone catches it? Because that's what it's seeming like...
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics