Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Israel
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Success10

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 1:16 pm
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
I see. I asked just because I'm wondering whether even though the virus is circulating now, maybe it's much less potent because of the heat even when someone catches it? Because that's what it's seeming like...

Right now, mostly students (generally low risk group) are catching it, though I did hear it got loose in a nursing home again. For the time being, IY"H, you're not going to see the same death count as the first wave, that would be my guess. I hope I'm right. But as it spreads to the older population, that might change C"V.

etky

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 1:17 pm
I see. I asked just because I'm wondering whether even though the virus is circulating now, maybe it's much less potent because of the heat even when someone catches it? Because that's what it's seeming like...

No one really knows.
Maybe the heat degrades the virus or reduces the viral load that is transmitted, maybe people are just better able to fight it off when the temperatures outside are warmer and their overall resistance is higher and maybe cause the people catching it now are, for the most part, quite young.

chanchy123

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 1:18 pm

The current wave is mostly through schools and these are young people who have mild symptoms as far as I’ve seen numbers of severe cases have not been significantly rising (although if it’s spreading that might happen too), most of these people would probably never have been diagnosed if they hadn’t tested (once one student tests positive the entire school students and staff have to test). So it’s impossible to know if there is an increase in spreading or just an increase in testing (because hospitalization rates have not yet been rising at the same rate as confirmed patients).
People in my social circles have mostly completely stopped any SD except for minyan and other places masks and SD are required. We met up with Chareidi family members recently and they are so strict with the rules and were shocked to hear how lax my community is. At least they will be protected from the second wave.

Elfrida

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 1:44 pm
We're not seeing hospitalizations from this latest round yet, let alone deaths. The hospitalizations should begin showing up around the end of this week and into next week. The death rate will begin to be affected around a week later.

Ora in town

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 2:45 pm
Elfrida wrote:
We're not seeing hospitalizations from this latest round yet, let alone deaths. The hospitalizations should begin showing up around the end of this week and into next week. The death rate will begin to be affected around a week later.

I am so happy that Israel managed to keep the death rate low up to now.
Let's hope that we will find a way to do smart social distancing, in a way that is viable long term, so that fatalities can be kept low...

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 4:40 pm
The only thing we know for sure - is that we don't know anything for sure.

amother
Emerald

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 5:59 pm
Another theory I've heard -- being deficient in vitamin D increases risk of having a severe reaction if infected. There is less vitamin D deficiency in the summer -- and when people are allowed outdoors.

Ora in town

Post Mon, Jun 08 2020, 3:24 am
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
Another theory I've heard -- being deficient in vitamin D increases risk of having a severe reaction if infected. There is less vitamin D deficiency in the summer -- and when people are allowed outdoors.

Another theory I have heard from a virologist:
When there is a big temperature drop, e.g. when leaving the house in winter (or going to a cold, air conditonned room in summer), the epiglottis does not cover the glottis propertly when swallowing, and so more salvia can penetrate into the respiratory system, and that's what causes lots of respiratory infections in winter or when air conditionning is too low... To avoid it, it's good to keep the neck warm,I.e. put on a scarf...

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Jun 08 2020, 3:51 am
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:

Most people are deficient in vitamin D, unless they walk around half-naked.
The solution is to take vitamin D supplements, even in the winter, and then get some sun so that your body can use the supplements.

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Jun 08 2020, 4:01 am
It's being spread outside schools too.
It just doesn't make the news and they can't source back to where people got it from

DrMom

Post Mon, Jun 08 2020, 4:07 am
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
Most people are deficient in vitamin D, unless they walk around half-naked.
The solution is to take vitamin D supplements, even in the winter, and then get some sun so that your body can use the supplements.

Given that our milk and many grain products are supplemented with Vitamin-D, are additional supplements really necessary?

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Jun 08 2020, 4:09 am
DrMom wrote:
Given that our milk and many grain products are supplemented with Vitamin-D, are additional supplements really necessary?

Yes, because the majority of people are still deficient or insufficient. Even Israeli kids who play outside in the sun and drink lots of milk and eat mainly bread.

Elfrida

Post Mon, Jun 08 2020, 4:16 am
Its not always so easily absorbed from food.

Misrad HaBriut is only recommending taking supplements if your level is low - though as stated above, most of us are low - and not taking mega-doses.

Ora in town

Post Mon, Jun 08 2020, 4:17 am
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
Yes, because the majority of people are still deficient or insufficient. Even Israeli kids who play outside in the sun and drink lots of milk and eat mainly bread.

I don't think milk and bread are supplemented in Vitamin Din Israel... I think that's just in the USA...

ora_43

Post Mon, Jun 08 2020, 4:35 am
etky wrote:
You mean they're aiming for herd immunity during the summer while the virus seems somewhat attenutated (as we discussed in the Life in Israel thread) and they're not coming out and saying it?
Yes, I do think that that is one of the unspoken goals but I'm not sure that it's even been coherently formulated as such by the government and/or that all ministries are on board with it. I also think that they're not sure themselves that this is something to be encouraged and that each day brings different conclusions. For example - train service is no longer slated to be resumed tomorrow although last week they had decided that it would resume on schedule. So, who knows? There are so many different interest groups at play here and so many opinions and no one knows how things will develop.

I don't think they're aiming at herd immunity. Unless they quadruple the number of ICUs nationwide we just can't afford for a significant percent of the population to get sick at once, summer or no summer.

I do think they're aiming for economic/psychological recovery. Keeping us "on break" from corona until absolutely necessary.

And if another 5-10% of the population develops immunity during that time - mostly young healthy people who barely feel sick - all the better.

etky

Post Mon, Jun 08 2020, 4:51 am
ora_43 wrote:
I don't think they're aiming at herd immunity. Unless they quadruple the number of ICUs nationwide we just can't afford for a significant percent of the population to get sick at once, summer or no summer.

I do think they're aiming for economic/psychological recovery. Keeping us "on break" from corona until absolutely necessary.

And if another 5-10% of the population develops immunity during that time - mostly young healthy people who barely feel sick - all the better.

Well, summer here is quite a few months. Theoretically if we start now, we have until around mid-October or so.
But in any case, I don't think that full herd immunitiy is possible in that time span anyway. I think that your last line is indeed really what they're aiming at. It still controverts the initial policy of trying to contain the virus and prevent people - even the young ones - from contracting it.

etky

Post Mon, Jun 08 2020, 4:54 am
Ora in town wrote:
I don't think milk and bread are supplemented in Vitamin Din Israel... I think that's just in the USA...

The 1% milk has Vitamin D as mandated by law
That's why during Pesach some dairies will go over to producing 1.5% milk- to avoid having to add the Vitamin A&D supplement that is kitniyot.

Ora in town

Post Mon, Jun 08 2020, 6:01 am
etky wrote:
That's why during Pesach some dairies will go over to producing 1.5% milk- to avoid having to add the Vitamin A&D supplement that is kitniyot.

thank you

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Jun 08 2020, 6:06 am
etky wrote:

Interesting to know! I only buy whole milk or 3% because I've heard it's better for female fertility than reduced fat.

Ora in town

Post Mon, Jun 08 2020, 6:31 am
[quote="amother [ Emerald ]"]Interesting to know! I only buy whole milk or 3% because I've heard it's better for female fertility than reduced fat.[/quote
I also buy only whole milk, 3%,, because I don't like the fat-reduced milk, and it doesn't make a big difference calorie-wise...
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics