Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
Photography: Digital cameras
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

rebeca

Post Mon, Feb 11 2008, 2:58 am
I've (nearly)decided on the nikon d40. prices are going down as the d60 has just been announced.
I would go with a nikon if you have the lenses already.
Pic quality from both is equal.
you should also take a look at the olympus E 510 with double kit lens. Great camera with fantastic lenses and so many extras. Pics do need more pp then the nikon which is more foolproof. but its fantastic value now as it costs nearly 50% less then when it was released.
Enjoy you decision!

chayitty

Post Tue, Feb 12 2008, 11:21 am
the lenses are also my brothers so I would need to get my own.......the thing with canon is my husband looked at the past couple of wed. at the photographers and they all had canon.....I say condcidence but hes convinced theyre better or they make better lenses or something like that....I would only go canon or nikon cuz theyre the biggest in the line.

brooklyn

Post Tue, Feb 12 2008, 12:43 pm
I bought the Olympus E-510, I love it. It is less expensive thanthe Nikons or Cannons and according to the guys at B&H just as good. Olympus doesn't spend as much on advertising so not so many people think of it.

Seraph

Post Tue, Feb 12 2008, 2:07 pm
I got a sony DSC P43. Anyone know if thats considered a decent camera or not?

Ruchel

Post Tue, Feb 12 2008, 2:13 pm
my dh is very into cameras. I'll ask him!

amother

Post Tue, Feb 12 2008, 2:22 pm
Does anyone know about the canon powershot a640? Thanks

grin

Post Tue, Feb 12 2008, 3:13 pm
I don't know specifically, but I'm sorry that when I bought mine I didn't know to check in advance how long the batteries last and also if it has continuous shooting (to take one picture right after another).

chayitty

Post Tue, Feb 12 2008, 7:01 pm
I was told that with slr cameras be more intrested in better lenses then the actuall camera....as far as im concerned nikon and canon have the biggest line in lenses that is y I want a camera from those compinies

mugsisme

Post Wed, Feb 13 2008, 3:26 pm
When I was getting into photography, I only wanted a camera that would take real sharp pictures, and I wanted to avoid shutter lag. (That is the time between pushing the shutter release and when the camera actually takes the picture.) It drove me nuts to keep missing pictures because my kids would move before I got the shot.

Once I got it, I wanted better and faster lenses. Yes, the body is important, but the lenses even more so. I see a huge difference between the consumer lens and the pro lens. I have a 50mm lens that can be bought new for just over a hundred. The pictures are awesome. (Downside, on the D40, you have to manually focus with it. Not impossible, but sometimes hard with fast moving kids or bright light out doors.)

A real important part of making a good choice to hold the camera in your hand and see how comfortable you feel with it. The other cameras I held, like the D80, the Sony, and the Canon, all were too big in the grip. As it is, my hand gets sore with a long lens and the flash attached.

The lens I use the most is the Sigma 18-50 f/2.8. It is perfect for low light situations. I take most of my pictures indoors. I still am learning how to adjust my white balance. I love my camera and especially loved the price! I can't believe how low the prices are going. When I first started looking (two years ago), you could not buy a Dslr for under 1K. Now you can, plus a lens or two extra!

chayitty

Post Wed, Feb 13 2008, 3:57 pm
I also want to buy a 2.8 or a 2.4 u can get very good shallow depth of feild how much was the lens if u dont mind me asking although im actaully looking for a bit longer like 35mm to 150mm if they have something like that

Maya

Post Wed, Feb 13 2008, 4:08 pm
We have 2 Sony cameras. One is a DSC-V3; the level of it is between a regular digital and an SLR. It costs about $600 with the card included.

The great thing about this one is the feature called Exposure Bracketing, it takes 3 pictures in one shot. This way, you dont' miss something that a kid does. It's also good for babies, who don't really cooperate with pictures taking.

Our other one is a regular Sony digital, cost about $400.

mugsisme

Post Wed, Feb 13 2008, 4:15 pm
I believe that the lens is about $400? I could be wrong. Sigma makes a 50-150 f/2.8 that I really want. However, it was $600 and I kept procrastinating about it. Then they announced that they updated it. Now I can't find it for under $800! I did finally find the old version, but with tax it was going to come to $700, so I said forget it. It got excellent reviews at popphoto.com.

chayitty

Post Wed, Feb 13 2008, 4:50 pm
im actually very new to all this photography stuff my hub. was gonna open up a photo store so I decided to take a course and do perfessional pics in the store....the store fell through but im still going along with the course and im loving it so I decided maybe ill open my own samll studio....I guess well see how well I do at the course....so the point of all this is I need a good lens even if its a little more

mugsisme

Post Wed, Feb 13 2008, 5:04 pm
I want to take a photography course so bad. I looked at my local community college, but Pesach fell in the way. I would love to do it over the summer, though.

Do they explain things like shutter speed? I have a horrible time trying to figure out how to do a faster shutter speed.

chayitty

Post Wed, Feb 13 2008, 5:30 pm
im at nyip its correspondence so its do it on ur own pace and I love it I learnt about shutter speed and fstops....im now learning about lighting,filters,and stuff its really intresting....I would defintly recommend it...oh big plus its well priced

amother

Post Sun, Feb 17 2008, 9:34 am
I have a question for those of you in the know.
I have a Canon Rebel (film camera). Do you have any idea if I can just get a Digital Camera Body and use the same lens?

Thanks.

chayitty

Post Sun, Feb 17 2008, 10:05 am
I went to b&h website and they have lenses for digi...for film..and for digi/film...so I guess that means depends oN THE LENS???

amother

Post Sun, Feb 17 2008, 10:32 am
I'll check. Thanks.

Zahava

Post Mon, Feb 18 2008, 5:52 pm
Chayitty, did you get a camera today?

chayitty

Post Mon, Feb 18 2008, 6:40 pm
yeah, I got a 40d from canon....plus I got 2 lenses 18-50 f2.8, from sigma & 50-150 f2.8 also from sigma.....do u know about cameras?
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics