Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
It's Official - Overnight Camps Canceled 2020
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
Teal

Post Fri, Jun 12 2020, 6:31 pm
avrahamama wrote:
They go into their campus and don't even leave.

Can you absolutely guarantee that? Look, after all the not so secret "secret" schools going on the last couple months, I frankly doubt that. Those people who participated in them didn't help matters any, by showing a disregard for SD rules in the frum community.

It's not only the campers. It's staff-- especially married ones with family. Or handymen or repair guys coming in to fix stuff. It's parents at a nearby bungalow colony coming to drop off a package. Etc.

avrahamama

Post Fri, Jun 12 2020, 6:31 pm
amother [ Chartreuse ] wrote:
Oh yes it certainly is a lot of people want to get rid of their kids. They don’t deny it. They repeat how they’re going nuts with their kids home, I said BH the law will try to protect us while others aren’t concerned about doing that

I don't know and haven't heard a single person say they are looking forward to getting rid of their children. I HAVE heard mothers say they are looking forward to giving their children a healthy fun summer full of things children should be enjoying. And that is camp. With other children. And counselor that they look up to. And activities The can master that aren't academic. And .... I'm so tired of this. All the women judging each other. Aren't you tired of it too?

amother
Mistyrose

Post Fri, Jun 12 2020, 6:32 pm
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
Nice academic discussion. This isn’t how public health or any kind of health cate discussion works.

Yes? How does it work? Does it work by saying there is no corona here when people were already dying? Does it work by delaying opening up a city where the cases have gone straight down over the last month?

Is there maybe a homing device that only targets kids in camp but not anywhere else?

And what is your degree in?

amother
Mistyrose

Post Fri, Jun 12 2020, 6:32 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
Same same. zucker pushed for that too. they're cut of the same cloth in every aspect from nursing home policy to vaccinations to camps

Some times Jews are [not the most helpful]. Just look at this site for illustration....

Sunny Days

Post Fri, Jun 12 2020, 6:41 pm
Oh yes it certainly is a lot of people want to get rid of their kids. They don’t deny it. They repeat how they’re going nuts with their kids home, I said BH the law will try to protect us while others aren’t concerned about doing that
lets say it is. Why are you judging them? Do you know everyone’s circumstances?
Do you understand this includes camps for children with sn. THE only break family can get. May you never be tested
Gotta run finish up for shabbos. More to come iyh

Tzippy323

Post Fri, Jun 12 2020, 6:44 pm
I will say that I am relieved that sleep away has finally been settled. I don’t believe there was a safe way to make it happen. I will add, however, that our community is not the only one affected. There are plenty of non Jewish camps that will be closed as well. And as for camps that have gone searching for options outside of New York, all I can say is that I wish them hatzlocha in having a safe and healthy summer. Leaving New York does not fence in the virus. Just because you leave the borders does not necessarily mean you will be safe.

southernbubby

Post Fri, Jun 12 2020, 6:47 pm
Obviously it's more productive to discuss alternative plans than to fight with each other. Several of my grandchildren are going to sleep away camps in other states. Only two were going to camp in NY. One of them is not disappointed because me and her parents pushed camp and she really doesn't want to go but the camp is making some type of alternative program. The other, a boy, may have an option out of state.
For many children, this is a crushing disappointment and is one of many; too many.
The difference between NY and other states is numbers. There are probably thousands of kids that attend camp in NY as opposed to a few hundred in other places. My question is how routine health issues such as sore throat and low grade fever will be handled now. Before Corona, we were able to assume that it was a minor viral illness but the implications of this common scenario are magnified and will require a different approach than routine pediatric illnesses had in previous years.

amother
Red

Post Fri, Jun 12 2020, 6:49 pm
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
Haha. They're all there already and have been there for a while. Plenty of winterized homes that don't need a C of O. And where are little kids going exactly? That's baloney.

And BTW I have spoken to officials in the Catskills and they were very interested in having us come.

Perhaps but the vast majority of citizens of Sullivan county realllllllllly don’t want us (or at least the ones posting on the Sullivan county Facebook groups...)

Blessing1

Post Fri, Jun 12 2020, 6:53 pm

I haven't heard anyone saying they want to get rid of their kids. But if you have heard it, you absolutely cannot blame them or judge them. 3 months of no structure is way too much for most people to handle. We're all going nuts. It's not just about the parents, it's about the kids.

amother
Rose

Post Fri, Jun 12 2020, 6:53 pm
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
Some times Jews are [not the most helpful] Just look at this site for illustration....

I could only imagine if the NYT got a screen shot of some of these comments lately. Cvs. It could be dangerous.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Fri, Jun 12 2020, 6:54 pm
amother [ Red ] wrote:
[/b]

Perhaps but the vast majority of citizens of Sullivan county realllllllllly don’t want us (or at least the ones posting on the Sullivan county Facebook groups...)

Ones posting on Facebook is vast majority? The officials have to balance the budget...

Many may change their minds when their summer jobs disappear.

unexpected

Post Fri, Jun 12 2020, 6:55 pm
My mesivta announced that they will now be extending school, three sedarim a day, with no end in sight. Every single bochur must be there from Sunday to Friday - no exceptions. SO Idk if we will go upstate this summer. The yeshiva is saying boys already had enough vacation. The boys are saying no, no, no this will not work. So yes I wish there was camp.
Otoh, I do understand, that if ch"v one person brings in the virus, it can spread like wildfire and lead to dangerous situations that the camp is incapable of addressing. We all had antibodies 2 months ago. Right now, only one person in my family still had as of a week ago. The rest of us do not have any more antibodies. Idk if this means we can get it again. Idk anything. I think its better to err on the side of caution. BH we are not at risk of otd/mental health issues in the house. Everyone seems to be doing fine. But it will be a looong summer.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jun 12 2020, 6:57 pm
I am so sorry for your mesivta boys! That is really not fair. They deserve a summer too.

meme6

Post Fri, Jun 12 2020, 6:57 pm
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
Yay! Now we'll have crowded parks, overwhelmed mothers, bored and restless teenagers, and assorted other exciting things!

Exactly this! Bored teenagers are not good or safe for kids or parents!! Camp would be way safer

meme6

Post Fri, Jun 12 2020, 7:00 pm
amother [ Red ] wrote:
[/b]

It was the anti Semitic mayor that’s democratic the other politicians there say there economy will go down the drain cause this is when they make there money.

meme6

Post Fri, Jun 12 2020, 7:01 pm

It’s not getting rid of there kids it’s giving them what to do! They are bored at home they need a social life. They need stimulation!

imorethanamother

Post Fri, Jun 12 2020, 7:08 pm
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
Nice academic discussion. This isn’t how public health or any kind of health cate discussion works.

Okay, anonymous amother. Let's discuss public health. I have an advanced science degree with this specialty. Bring it on.

Why is it that camps couldn't open to anyone that had a positive antibody test? Does anyone understand how immunology works? Why is it that despite the previous three month lockdown resulting in public rioting, no one in public health has learned their lesson? The WHO does not generally advocate quarantine, and the recent three month lockdown was a public health experimental trial with poor results. If I wrote this up in a paper, my conclusion would be not to repeat the experiment. Other models have worked equally well, without causing civic unrest, economic catastrophe, and militia use.

Cuomo absolutely is punishing the Jews. I hope he gets voted out of office.

southernbubby

Post Fri, Jun 12 2020, 7:13 pm
imorethanamother wrote:
Okay, anonymous amother. Let's discuss public health. I have an advanced science degree with this specialty. Bring it on.

Why is it that camps couldn't open to anyone that had a positive antibody test? Does anyone understand how immunology works? Why is it that despite the previous three month lockdown resulting in public rioting, no one in public health has learned their lesson? The WHO does not generally advocate quarantine, and the recent three month lockdown was a public health experimental trial with poor results. If I wrote this up in a paper, my conclusion would be not to repeat the experiment. Other models have worked equally well, without causing civic unrest, economic catastrophe, and militia use.

Cuomo absolutely is punishing the Jews. I hope he gets voted out of office.

He probably will be voted out of office and it won't only be because of the Jews. It also depends on the Republican candidate.

giselle

Post Fri, Jun 12 2020, 7:22 pm

I’ll be honest, it really rubs me the wrong way when there’s a snow day and people start complaining about having the kids home. Yes, a healthy mother should be able to manage having her children home once in awhile. In fact, a healthy mother will be excited to have the kids home. But three months? I personally have been enjoying it. But I really get why people are having a difficult time. And even if you have good kids who aren’t giving you a hard time, the kids themselves need it. My kids never wanted to go to sleep away camp, so this isn’t even applicable to me, but I do feel for those children and teens who look forward to it all year.

Also, was just discussing this with my husband.. I don’t know where you live, but we are fortunate to live in the glorious suburbs and we feel no need to go away for the summer. We love summertime at home. May-September basically feels like we’re living in a summer home. But for people who live in crowded apartments in places like Brooklyn, or even in spacious houses with no yards, I really feel for them. I can’t imagine how hard the summer must be. I also don’t see how having bored kids crowded together in playgrounds is really much better, health wise. Until very recently I’ve been very careful with all the social distancing laws, and they have certainly been important. And unfortunately ignored by too many. But right now, taking all factors into account, I can’t see how closing camps is the right decision.

Regardless, to blame wanting camps to open on incompetent parenting really doesn’t make sense.

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 1:32 am
giselle wrote:
I’ll be honest, it really rubs me the wrong way when there’s a snow day and people start complaining about having the kids home. Yes, a healthy mother should be able to manage having her children home once in awhile. In fact, a healthy mother will be excited to have the kids home. But three months? I personally have been enjoying it. But I really get why people are having a difficult time. And even if you have good kids who aren’t giving you a hard time, the kids themselves need it. My kids never wanted to go to sleep away camp, so this isn’t even applicable to me, but I do feel for those children and teens who look forward to it all year.

Also, was just discussing this with my husband.. I don’t know where you live, but we are fortunate to live in the glorious suburbs and we feel no need to go away for the summer. We love summertime at home. May-September basically feels like we’re living in a summer home. But for people who live in crowded apartments in places like Brooklyn, or even in spacious houses with no yards, I really feel for them. I can’t imagine how hard the summer must be. I also don’t see how having bored kids crowded together in playgrounds is really much better, health wise. Until very recently I’ve been very careful with all the social distancing laws, and they have certainly been important. And unfortunately ignored by too many. But right now, taking all factors into account, I can’t see how closing camps is the right decision.

Regardless, to blame wanting camps to open on incompetent parenting really doesn’t make sense.

Do your teens have a summer program where you live? Most people upset about camp cancellations don’t have alternate plans for their teens yet.
Page 3 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics