Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
It's Official - Overnight Camps Canceled 2020
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

soap suds

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 5:47 pm
chestnut wrote:
Can you explain? What ages fall under daycare? Surely not 12+

Until 13

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 6:02 pm
soap suds wrote:
Until 13

The regular voucher program is up to age 13. However, day care can be provided to children up until age 18.

For all of you who keep saying schools are open illegally, I know that my school actually notified the Department of Health that we are now operating a day care.

That's the difference between schools and camps.

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 7:44 pm
southernbubby wrote:
He probably will be voted out of office and it won't only be because of the Jews. It also depends on the Republican candidate.

I definitely hope so

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 3:38 pm
Is it final? Keep hearing contradicting reports.

Raisin

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 3:46 pm
Well, this is a creative solution.

https://collive.com/cgi-parksv.....tion/

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 3:49 pm
Raisin wrote:

Sounds great. Hope it works out for them!

cnc

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 3:51 pm
Raisin wrote:

Many camps are doing this but it doesn’t solve the problem for families that are in the city or those that don’t have room to house all their children in their bungalow.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 3:53 pm
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
And if people are going nuts, isn't that reason enough? Do mothers' mental health not count at all? Is it healthy for kids to be home and bored all summer with a mother that's going nuts?

Sorry but getting the virus and spreading it a whole lot more dangerous than being home and bored. Going nuts? Work on yourself. Being with your kids shouldn’t get you nuts.

amother
Purple

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 4:15 pm
Do you think that mothers who are against opening camps etc. are not frustrated with the situation? We just have to deal. I understand that double standard is unfair. but in my opinion they shouldn't have allowed anyone to gather.

Just passed a cheder during pickup. Hashem yishmor.

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 4:43 pm
amother [ Purple ] wrote:
Do you think that mothers who are against opening camps etc. are not frustrated with the situation? We just have to deal. I understand that double standard is unfair. but in my opinion they shouldn't have allowed anyone to gather.

Just passed a cheder during pickup. Hashem yishmor.

Right. Little boys learning Torah are the problem. But health wise, it’s a-okay for tens of thousands to gather in a protest. Every day for the last few weeks.

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 4:51 pm
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:
Right. Little boys learning Torah are the problem. But health wise, it’s a-okay for tens of thousands to gather in a protest. Every day for the last few weeks.

Stop the idiotic comparisons.

As much as I support the fight against racism, I chose not to attend protests precisely because of the danger, even though they were all outdoors and most people wore masks (in all the photos and videos I saw, and when I looked out the window at the marchers.) It was a CHOICE I was able to make.

In contrast, no one wears masks to and from or INSIDE the doors of the illegal cheder/school, and pickup/dropoffs are through the single smallest, narrowest, and most hidden entrance the building has. I am forced by my children's schools to choose between bad options, when they could have made a small effort to focus just a bit on health and safety.

Zehava

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 4:52 pm
Mosdos that can afford it are renting campgrounds in other states. Smaller ones are house older boys in hotels etc.

amother
Purple

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 5:00 pm

No, its not okay. at all.
I care more about our children, than I care about the 1000's in protest. Why is it so hard to wear a mask, especially for the parents crowding around the same place to pick them up?

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 5:18 pm
Zehava wrote:
Mosdos that can afford it are renting campgrounds in other states. Smaller ones are house older boys in hotels etc.

Some are finding a way to still do it in the Catskills New York. It’s not final yet.

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 5:41 pm

Don’t forget the outdoor drinking parties that went on in the city this weekend. Completely maskless.

Or the playgrounds that opened in non Jewish neighborhood where dozens of kids play right near each other. Completely maskless.

But of course it’s our school kids, in neighborhoods where many or most of residents have already caught the virus and are immune, who are causing all the evil in this world.

Can't Believe It

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 5:42 pm
Amarante wrote:
There is a certain insular quality displayed in some of the posts.

Closing sleep away camps was not done because of anti-Semitism as Orthodox camps are a blip on the radar in terms of the economy and even the sleep away camp economy.

There are probably as many secular kids who go to camp especially when one adds the MO camps which announced closure a month ago as there are specifically Frum camps and the closure was not made to oppress Frum people but as a public health measure.

Whether an individual considers it to be a necessary health measure, it's apolitical and non-sectarian.

So here’s the thing. Most, of not all, non Jewish sleep away camps cancelled a while ago, and most reform and conservative camps cancelled as well. It was really mostly the orthodox camps who were trying to push through to allow openings.
You really think announcing it late in the day on a Friday afternoon was a-political? It’s called burying the headline.

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 5:47 pm
For those of you who are claiming this does not affect the frum community disproportionately, that’s simply not true for two reasons:

1. Many non Jewish and secular camps announced long ago that they would not be opening for the summer while frum camp owners and askonim never gave up. People were working around the clock to advocate for camps. Agudah drafted a comprehensive plan for camps to open safely. Higher ups in Albany were contacted and asked to help. And then...this.

2. As other posters mentioned, frum teens have far fewer self-entertainment options than secular teens. They can’t go to the beach. They can’t go to the movies. No community pools. Quite a different picture than your average secular teen’s summer...

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 5:49 pm
Ema of 4, I see I cross posted with you. Agree with every word you wrote.

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 5:55 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
So here’s the thing. Most, of not all, non Jewish sleep away camps cancelled a while ago, and most reform and conservative camps cancelled as well. It was really mostly the orthodox camps who were trying to push through to allow openings.
You really think announcing it late in the day on a Friday afternoon was a-political? It’s called burying the headline.

Well why didn't the orthodox cancel like everyone else?Camp is really not the necessity that everyone is making it out to be. Is this really the hill we want to die on?

And very nice that a few communites have a high amount of immunity. Camp is mixing with kids from all over. So not sure how that's a valid argument.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 6:08 pm
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
Well why didn't the orthodox cancel like everyone else?Camp is really not the necessity that everyone is making it out to be. Is this really the hill we want to die on?

And very nice that a few communites have a high amount of immunity. Camp is mixing with kids from all over. So not sure how that's a valid argument.

Because there are many camps that ARE necessities, and for many kids camp IS a necessity, more this summer than any other summer.
Camp HASC
Camp Simcha
Chaveirim
Naale
I’m sure there are more, these are just 4 camps I can think of off the top of my head that take special needs campers. They are SO important to those families.

Sleep away camps are actually an ideal quarantine situation. Everyone will be required to be tested before coming to camp. Everyone will have temperature check upon getting to the destination, before going onto camp grounds. No camper or staff (or other family member) will be allowed in or out. Once someone leaves, they can not come back. All deliveries will be dropped at the gate, and will be brought into camp after the delivery is complete.
Did you know that people worked tirelessly to come up with a set of protocols that would make sleep away camps safe, great workable protocols. 15 pages worth. It wouldn’t have been just a haphazard thing. But it was all rejected late on a Friday afternoon....
Page 5 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics