Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
"Masks don't protect you; they protect others"
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 8:21 pm
smss wrote:
Interesting! Wondering where you saw this?

Thanks for asking! I went back to the graphic chart I had received and it showed no a source. So I googled and found out that the percentages are unknown, but the order listed is correct regarding risk of transmission.

https://factcheck.afp.com/misl.....pread

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 8:45 pm
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
IMO it's all a bit overhyped because the virus is less deadly than it was originally or than they said originally. Therefore I don't wear masks outside and if I have a choice, not inside either. I don't believe that level of protection is necessary, for me and for you.

435,000 deaths worldwide; 119,000 people dead in the US alone.

It hasn't even been 6 months.

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 8:51 pm
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
IMO it's all a bit overhyped because the virus is less deadly than it was originally or than they said originally. Therefore I don't wear masks outside and if I have a choice, not inside either. I don't believe that level of protection is necessary, for me and for you.

I agree with you 100%. The masks are stupid for anyone who isn't sick. Or maybe anyone very high risk. I never wear one outside and prefer not to inside either. BUT I do wear them grocery shopping only because most people still think masks are smart and get ticked off with anyone who doesn't conform. I'm not looking to be an outcast in the community or make others feel panicked.

Elemenopee

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 9:21 pm
baltomom wrote:
One more point about masks: They stop the wearer from touching his/her mouth/nose, which also protects him/her.

Just the opposite! Just watch how mask-wearers keep adjusting them...

WhatFor

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 9:30 pm

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 10:14 pm
Ora in town wrote:
There are several types of masks. some really close off the air you breathe, and everything goes through a filter. They are called FFP2 or N95 masks. Those masks protect the wearer and are appropriate for at-risk-persons and medical personnel who know they are exposed to the virus.

Surgical masks keep droplets from going out of your mouth or nose (as long as they are not damp), but they don't keep the air from coming in unfiltered around the mask.

So they would protect against bigger droplets that would be projected on you, but they would not protect against small droplets in suspension in the air... because those small droplets or the virus in them would get sucked in with the air around the mask. So it is some protection, but not 100%, not enough for at risk persons or when you know the virus is around you, but quite good enough for daily use in areas that are not particularly exposed, just to make sure...

The korean chief virologist said he was astonished that so many non-asian countries did not adopt masks at the beginning of the pandemic, he is convinced that (simple surgical) masks do a lot by ways of prevention. And indeed Korea controlled the pandemic mainly thanks to masks and strict tracking, testing and quarantining, but without general lockdown...

I just want to note that masks with valves (the plastic things) on them are not effective. Here they are not allowed to be used by the public. It may be easier for the wearer to breathe, but the masks spread the wearer's germs well, as if they weren't wearing any mask at all.
You can watch this video for an explanation. It's in Hebrew but the demonstration is pretty easy to follow even with no knowledge of Hebrew.
https://www.inn.co.il/News/News.aspx/437735

smss

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 10:26 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Thanks for asking! I went back to the graphic chart I had received and it showed no a source. So I googled and found out that the percentages are unknown, but the order listed is correct regarding risk of transmission.

https://factcheck.afp.com/misl.....pread

Ah, thanks! Yeah, that's what I had thought about order of risk, just hadn't seen exact percentages given before...

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 10:57 pm
Elemenopee wrote:
Just the opposite! Just watch how mask-wearers keep adjusting them...

Exactly!

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 10:58 pm
OP - God protects you, not masks.

Ora in town

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 11:07 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
I just want to note that masks with valves (the plastic things) on them are not effective. Here they are not allowed to be used by the public. It may be easier for the wearer to breathe, but the masks spread the wearer's germs well, as if they weren't wearing any mask at all.
You can watch this video for an explanation. It's in Hebrew but the demonstration is pretty easy to follow even with no knowledge of Hebrew.
https://www.inn.co.il/News/News.aspx/437735

Thank you for the link. Very interesting.

The doctor in this film says that the valve in the N95 mask is a one-directional filter and will filter everything that goes in, but not what comes out.

therefore, as I said, the n95 mask is an efficient protection for the wearer. At-risk people or people really exposed to the virus should wear this mask, as I stated.

I was not aware that this mask would not protect their environment if they cough.
However, the thing that liquid goes out on the sides would be due to the fact that the mask was not closing off the dummy's face, as it should with a human. But it was interesting to learn that the drops go through the filter if ejected with enough pressure.

Ora in town

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 11:09 pm
amother [ Orange ] wrote:
I agree with you 100%. The masks are stupid for anyone who isn't sick. Or maybe anyone very high risk. I never wear one outside and prefer not to inside either. BUT I do wear them grocery shopping only because most people still think masks are smart and get ticked off with anyone who doesn't conform. I'm not looking to be an outcast in the community or make others feel panicked.

Are you talking seriously?

At first, I was a bit angry at the pro-mask faction for mocking the anti-mask-faction's stupidity...
But now I understand them better...

Ora in town

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 11:17 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
But those same small droplets will seep through the wearers mask too.
This is not answering my question.

So again, if a mask is a sort of barrier between 2 people, whats the difference where the barrier is?

They make a distinction between droplets over 20 micrometer, that will fall to the earth quickly and can be ejected up to 1.5 m.

The mask protects against those droplets, forming a barrier both at the emission and for the receiver. As long as the mask is not damp.

then there are smaller droplets, under10 micrometer. those droplets do not fall to the ground, but stay in the air. The liquid evaropates, and then they form tiny little balls of dried virus floating in the air. That's what's dangerous in closed spaces, when the air circulates, because it's enough to be downstream from a person with the virus for a prolonged period of thime, to catch the virus.

And the surgical mask will not protect against those droplets being sucked into the nose or mouth around the masks.

However, the N95 mask is really closed off, and air can only come in through the valve, but the valve filters those droplets out. That's why the N95 protects the wearer. That's why at-risk people or people in an environment full of virus should wear this mask. Especially if at-risk people want to travel with non tested people, or sit in a classroom with non tested people.

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 11:22 pm
Ora in town wrote:
Thank you for the link. Very interesting.

The doctor in this film says that the valve in the N95 mask is a one-directional filter and will filter everything that goes in, but not what comes out.

therefore, as I said, the n95 mask is an efficient protection for the wearer. At-risk people or people really exposed to the virus should wear this mask, as I stated.

I was not aware that this mask would not protect their environment if they cough.
However, the thing that liquid goes out on the sides would be due to the fact that the mask was not closing off the dummy's face, as it should with a human. But it was interesting to learn that the drops go through the filter if ejected with enough pressure.

The N95 is stiffer than a regular mask, so the chance that it will properly conform to the wearer's face is smaller. As a result, spaces are created and droplets can get in more easily. I've seen real people wear them - they leave gaps.

Ora in town

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 11:28 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
The N95 is stiffer than a regular mask, so the chance that it will properly conform to the wearer's face is smaller. As a result, spaces are created and droplets can get in more easily. I've seen real people wear them - they leave gaps.

It's not the idea that they should leave gaps...
Because in this case they would not provide the intended protection either...
People should fit them to their faces so that there are no gaps, and air comes in only through the filter..

Ora in town

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 1:57 pm
Anyway, I think masks are a valuable tool for protection..

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 2:12 pm
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
OP - God protects you, not masks.

But you're required to do your histadlus.

Do you drive drunk? Without a seatbelt? Allow your toddlers to swim without supervision? Cross the street without looking? Why not, if Hashem protects you?

OBnursemom

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 2:52 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:

No one should wear a N95 without a fit test.

Ora in town

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 3:01 pm
OBnursemom wrote:
No one should wear a N95 without a fit test.

Thank you!

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 9:58 pm
SixOfWands wrote:

Do you drive drunk? Without a seatbelt? Allow your toddlers to swim without supervision? Cross the street without looking? Why not, if Hashem protects you?

This is not hishtadlus. Its something Dr. Fauci decided at first doesn't help, but then used it to cover up on the drama he said would happen.

Please don't compare it to driving or crossing. The virus is not something you can control. In fact I tried exposing myself to get it and gain immunity, but did not get it. My neighbor wore a mask throughout, and got it anyway. I know many others like this.

I might wear it now out of respect for the crazy world, but I don't buy it.

The only thing we are doing is supporting the Chinese by buying millions of their masks. And walking around like idiots, on and off, adjusting it. And when we want to finally breathe fresh air, it hangs on our chin. Applause

Miri1

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 10:09 pm
SixOfWands wrote:

'
I would take it one further.
Emuna for your own self is a wonderful thing. Err on the hishtadlus side when it comes to others.
The masks are for others.
Page 2 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics