Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How much does teaching make?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 12:39 pm
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
Yes of course I can understand.
However, women here are talking about earning 9k a year! Or 20-30 k. That's not a living wage.

Also, I myself went to public school. Not in NYC, and not a bad 'inner city' type of school, but in a regular heterogeneous public school with kids from all kinds of neighborhoods. I don't think we gave our teachers a harder time than my kids' frum classmates give their frum teachers in frum schools.

I don't think those women are doing it to be the breadwinner, though. And I think those that do it, do it for a few reasons, including tuition deductions, frum environment and schedule, lighter workload etc.

Btw, most public school teacher salaries are nowhere near 75k!! Maybe at the very, very top of the salary scale. NY and NJ are probably top of the scale when it comes to teacher salaries. Where I live, the very top of the salary scale (and you are talking like 25 years experience and advanced degrees) is mid 60s.

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 12:55 pm
[quote="amother [ Turquoise ]"]You don't need to have a degree or any experience to be a teacher in a private bais yaakov.

Basically you give a model lesson or sub a bit and you're hired.

The people who teach at theses schools obviously don't want to get a bachelor's and masters and work full time.

That isn’t necessarily true. I worked at a Bais Yaakov for nearly a decade—and during that time, I completed my BA and earned two MAs (back to back). I was looking for a better paying job (or at least a job where my salary would not be determined based on my gender or marital status) during most of my time there, but they’re not so easy to find if you want to remain in the private sector (Jewish or otherwise).

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 2:21 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
So does that mean if you both worked full time there you’d make 48,000 and 60,000 respectively?

No because pay is not the same for general studies and Hebrew and then you have an unpaid 30 minute lunch break . Teaching full time is rare for people with a family because teaching half a day really is meant to include 1-2 hours a day of prep time.

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 2:23 pm
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
You don't need to have a degree or any experience to be a teacher in a private bais yaakov.

Basically you give a model lesson or sub a bit and you're hired.

The people who teach at theses schools obviously don't want to get a bachelor's and masters and work full time.

In NY my bil who is a rebbe for about 10 years makes 80k. In the summer he has another job that makes about 10 k.

Not true- it varies very much depending on the school. I have worked at schools that require a degree and teaching license to teach General Studies and salary is between $20-30 K.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 2:46 pm
I work in a Jewish school is North Jersey. If you work half a day you get 32 starting salary but full day is 65. You get 1000 more every year.

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 2:51 pm
SuperWify wrote:
It’s a lot for a teaching job in Lakewood. I’m really curious to know which school.

They generally pay between $18-25k.

I don't feel comfortable sharing the name of the school. It's one of the mainstream by type lakewood schools. I did start at 25k six years ago. It's pretty standard at this point for schools to give $1,000 raise per year. I do believe I'm at the higher end of the school's salaries if not the highest.

Do schools really start at 18k? I assume that's for a completely inexperienced teacher?

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 3:14 pm
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
No because pay is not the same for general studies and Hebrew and then you have an unpaid 30 minute lunch break . Teaching full time is rare for people with a family because teaching half a day really is meant to include 1-2 hours a day of prep time.

Interesting. I work in a public school (not as a teacher) and the teachers get about 1/4 of their day to plan. (They work full time)

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 5:44 pm
NYC DOE. Just about 90,000. Less than 10 years in ( don't want to give exact number for too much info)
I work 8 to 2 20 3 days a week and 8 to 3 40 twice a week. Summers, legal holidays and 3 full week vacations off.
It's fantastic!!! But not doable for someone who needs a flexible job.

I can't wrap me mind around salaries for full time work in ny at 30,000. I am making 60,000 more plus FULL health covered and a pension plan.
I'm begging you all, if at all possible, to consider switching. For your sake. Reading this thread is so so sad Sad

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 5:48 pm
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
NYC DOE. Just about 90,000. Less than 10 years in ( don't want to give exact number for too much info)
I work 8 to 2 20 3 days a week and 8 to 3 40 twice a week. Summers, legal holidays and 3 full week vacations off.
It's fantastic!!! But not doable for someone who needs a flexible job.

I can't wrap me mind around salaries for full time work in ny at 30,000. I am making 60,000 more plus FULL health covered and a pension plan.
I'm begging you all, if at all possible, to consider switching. For your sake. Reading this thread is so so sad Sad

A lot of us aren’t certified for public school. I’m probably one of the more educated here with a masters in Jewish education, but I would need at least a year of classes plus an Edtpa I don’t have time for to even be considered a possibility in a public school.

lilies

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 5:48 pm
Nobody said bupkes.

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 5:52 pm
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
A lot of us aren’t certified for public school. I’m probably one of the more educated here with a masters in Jewish education, but I would need at least a year of classes plus an Edtpa I don’t have time for to even be considered a possibility in a public school.

But you don’t think it would be worth it to get the extra training it would take to get certified and get all these extra benefits and huge salary increase? I’m also always so surprised that people choose private schools over public unless they’re the type that wouldn’t feel comfortable working outside of a frum environment.

People have asked me before why I don’t work in frum schools or just assume I work in a frum school and I want to say find me a frum school that will pay my great salary Bh and give me those great benefits and all those vacation days!

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 5:56 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
But you don’t think it would be worth it to get the extra training it would take to get certified and get all these extra benefits and huge salary increase? I’m also always so surprised that people choose private schools over public unless they’re the type that wouldn’t feel comfortable working outside of a frum environment.

People have asked me before why I don’t work in frum schools or just assume I work in a frum school and I want to say find me a frum school that will pay my great salary Bh and give me those great benefits and all those vacation days!

I can’t afford to take 2 years off to go through the process. What’s my family going to eat in that time?
I’m not going to be hired to teach Chumash in the public schools. I can teach math and science, but I don’t enjoy it as much and see myself getting burnt out if I did it full time.
Yontif off is a huge deal.
And the tuition discounts adds up to quite a bit of money.

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 5:57 pm
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
I can’t afford to take 2 years off to go through the process. What’s my family going to eat in that time?
I’m not going to be hired to teach Chumash in the public schools. I can teach math and science, but I don’t enjoy it as much and see myself getting burnt out if I did it full time.
Yontif off is a huge deal.
And the tuition discounts adds up to quite a bit of money.

Ok that makes sense. Especially the tuition discount part.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 1:34 am
Young girls should be made aware of the options before they choose a degree that won't hold muster in public school.

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 1:50 am
I'm surprised to see no mention of a respectable (but still low imo) 50k ish that modern orthodox schools in NJ/ NY would offer as a starting salary for a full day, for a teacher with a masters and a few years experience.

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 1:24 pm
I have 2 years experience as assistant and 3 years experience as head teacher (mainly preschool). THis coming year I will be working from about 8:30-4:00 making 47,000. Have 10 days vacation days, plus yom tovs, and winter vacation. My school pays nicely for a right wing school in tristate.

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 1:25 pm
no degree - 47,000 but working towards one

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 1:51 pm
I am an OT but get paid the same as a teacher. I work in a public school district OOT. Right now making 45k plus amazing benefits (insurance and retirement). I have been working for 3 yrs... I am hoping to stay on staff there long term and hopefully make 90k (or more if I go back to school for a doctorate). Gotta love the salary step scale.

amother
Ruby

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 9:45 am
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
I am an OT but get paid the same as a teacher. I work in a public school district OOT. Right now making 45k plus amazing benefits (insurance and retirement). I have been working for 3 yrs... I am hoping to stay on staff there long term and hopefully make 90k (or more if I go back to school for a doctorate). Gotta love the salary step scale.

How many steps away is 90K?

amother
Azure

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 10:17 am
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
How many steps away is 90K?

I think 6 or 7 more years. I am only 26... started the process early and bh have enough money for what I need now!
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics