Home

Ideas on how to repair our country
  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  Last >>

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

exaustedmom

Post  Mon, Jun 29 2020, 9:23 am
I would love to hear ideas on how we can repair this broken disaster that is our wonderful America

Mine- please feel free to add

1) Get the people back to work!
I know covid is not over. But the devastation the economic shutdown has wrought us is tremendous. Open back the factories, plants, manufacturing. Open the offices safely. Continue to pay unemployment to the medically vulnerable and elderly.

2) crack down on violence, looting and desecration of monuments. No country can survive prolonged violence and looting

3) term limits! No politician should be in the same position for decades. Corruption is inevitable.

4) schools- teach children to respect and really listen to other points of view without being triggered. Teach them history and how far we came as a country.

5) zero tolerance of anti semitism or any kind of hate on college campuses. Have an equal amount of left and right professors for balance. Students should feel safe to offer opposing opinions without fear of being penalized.

6) stop racism- stop questions on race on forms or admissions or job applications. People should be hired or accepted based on merit only!

7) continue deregulation and encourage and reward small businesses. This is the backbone of our economy.

8) bring back manufacturing to the United States. Made in America should be a symbol of pride. It will not only be a huge economic boost but also give jobs to so many.

simcha2

Post  Mon, Jun 29 2020, 9:29 am
Can you explain how 5 and 6 aren't inherently contradictory?

You want to replace race with political views? But want that to be the determining factor for hiring?

Ora in town

Post  Mon, Jun 29 2020, 9:33 am
Your country is not broken, no need to repair it.
don't over-dramatize.

Covid19 is hard on all the countries in the world.
But don't plunge into deep pessimism...

And I think, that from an outside perspective, the USA are over-deregulated...

Viewed from the outside, the USA do not have many basic amenities other countries have had for decades, if not more than a century...

- No general health insurance for everyone
- No general sick leave insurance for everyone
- Almost no vacations for employees (average in Europe is 4-5 weeks plus banking holidays)
- No protection against random or abusive firing
- No protection for environment

There is one thing, about the US, that I view as a bit broken, from the outside
- Justice system where accused are pressured into plea bargains
- overcrowded prisons
- prisons operated by private entities for profit
- death penalty

Last edited by Ora in town on Mon, Jun 29 2020, 9:39 am; edited 2 times in total

exaustedmom

Post  Mon, Jun 29 2020, 9:34 am
simcha2 wrote:
Can you explain how 5 and 6 aren't inherently contradictory?

You want to replace race with political views? But want that to be the determining factor for hiring?

Please offer your own ideas. These are just my thoughts.

Regarding education, students nowadays needs to be able to listen respectfully to opposing views without getting triggered. They need a more well rounded education than the one currently in place on college campuses.

Regarding applications- I think its unfair that a job recruiter or college admissions officer should turn down an application based on race. It should be on merit and if they will be a good fit for that institution.

exaustedmom

Post  Mon, Jun 29 2020, 9:35 am
Ora in town wrote:
Your country is not broken, no need to repair it.
don't over-dramatize.

Covid19 is hard on all the countries in the world.
But don't plunge into deep pessimism...

Do you live here or just an observer from across the pond?

Ora in town

Post  Mon, Jun 29 2020, 9:40 am
exaustedmom wrote:
Do you live here or just an observer from across the pond?

Observer from across the pond!

In my view, the USA are not as "great" as some Americans think.
And not as broken as other (or the same?) Americans think...

Last edited by Ora in town on Mon, Jun 29 2020, 10:58 am; edited 1 time in total

simcha2

Post  Mon, Jun 29 2020, 9:44 am
exaustedmom wrote:
Please offer your own ideas. These are just my thoughts.

Regarding education, students nowadays needs to be able to listen respectfully to opposing views without getting triggered. They need a more well rounded education than the one currently in place on college campuses.

Regarding applications- I think its unfair that a job recruiter or college admissions officer should turn down an application based on race. It should be on merit and if they will be a good fit for that institution.

I agree students should be able to hear opposing views. And as someone who has worked at more than once university, I can tell you, they can. Protesting outside speakers is part of free speech. Is there anyone who should not be allowed on campus to speak?

I've spoken to many, many admissions professionals. At most universities, for every spot, there are multiple qualified applicants. It's not that they are taking unqualified over qualified- it's a question of which qualified applicant to take.

keym

Post  Mon, Jun 29 2020, 9:56 am
I agree so much with the term limits thing.
Washington is full of "old time politicians". Congressmen and Senators who are serving for 40/50 years.
They are just part of "big machine" politics.

DrMom

Post  Mon, Jun 29 2020, 9:58 am
simcha2 wrote:
I agree students should be able to hear opposing views. And as someone who has worked at more than once university, I can tell you, they can. Protesting outside speakers is part of free speech. Is there anyone who should not be allowed on campus to speak?

I've spoken to many, many admissions professionals. At most universities, for every spot, there are multiple qualified applicants. It's not that they are taking unqualified over qualified- it's a question of which qualified applicant to take.

Yes, but shutting down speakers by threatening violence is not.

simcha2

Post  Mon, Jun 29 2020, 9:59 am
Here are the things I think need fixing

- healthcare. The u.s. is the only first world country where medical care is the leading cause of bankruptcy. This is appalling. People not going for medical treatment because they can't afford it affects the country in multiple ways
- productivity
- mental health and homelessness
- wealth gap and inability to pull oneself out of poverty

Political divide - the two party system and the radicalization of both parties has caused major damage to the country.

Punitive punishment over rehabilitation. The focus on prison as punishment with no focus on life after prison. High recidivism rate etc.

Disparity in educational opportunities. Having schools funded by property taxes causes inherent disparity and cycles of poverty.

Graft and Lobbyist. The us political is rife with corruption.

Rappel

Post  Mon, Jun 29 2020, 10:01 am
Even Rome crumbled after 400 years, but I credit you for trying to make things better. Your attitude will help many people. Smile

youngishbear

Post  Mon, Jun 29 2020, 10:06 am
"Not putting race on job applications" won't solve discriminatory hiring practices.

"Job applicants with white names needed to send about 10 resumes to get one callback; those with African-American names needed to send around 15 resumes to get one callback."

https://www.nber.org/digest/sep03/w9873.html

I agree we should put Americans back to work, safely. If it's done unsafely, we will soon have inoperable factories and shortages, as has already happened in several industries.

A New-New-New Deal infrastructure program would be a great idea, with likely bipartisan support.

We also need to fix the problem with community-police relations, whatever that means in specific places. There must be respect for law enforcement, but law enforcement cannot have unchecked or disproportionate power as they have all too often.

I wonder whether the problem of too many liberal professors is a solvable one. We can't hire based on political affiliation, can we? There is also a correlation between education and progressive thinking, so higher education will always tend in that direction.

imasoftov

Post  Mon, Jun 29 2020, 10:23 am
exaustedmom wrote:
2) crack down on violence, looting and desecration of monuments. No country can survive prolonged violence and looting

"The beatings will continue until morale improves"

exaustedmom

Post  Mon, Jun 29 2020, 10:40 am
simcha2 wrote:
Here are the things I think need fixing

- healthcare. The u.s. is the only first world country where medical care is the leading cause of bankruptcy. This is appalling. People not going for medical treatment because they can't afford it affects the country in multiple ways
- productivity
- mental health and homelessness
- wealth gap and inability to pull oneself out of poverty

Political divide - the two party system and the radicalization of both parties has caused major damage to the country.

Punitive punishment over rehabilitation. The focus on prison as punishment with no focus on life after prison. High recidivism rate etc.

Disparity in educational opportunities. Having schools funded by property taxes causes inherent disparity and cycles of poverty.

Graft and Lobbyist. The us political is rife with corruption.

I actually agree with some of your points especially educational opportunities and lobbying.

keym

Post  Mon, Jun 29 2020, 10:46 am
This country needs a better sick pay and now quarantine pay.
The extra$600 will expire in a few weeks. So Esti goes back to work as a kindergarten teacher in Playgroup for Children. A child tests positive and Esti (and the whole class) have to stay home for 2 weeks. So now Esti makes $500/week instead of $1000. Best case scenario, Esti stays healthy, but then 4 weeks later, her kid's friend tests positive. Again Esti has to stay home for 2 weeks, making only half her salary.
After 1-2 times, she will not be able to afford to stay home, her boss will lose patience so she will either not stay home, or when her child is feeling sick, she won't bring him to the doctor or get tested.
That is going to create a long term disaster.

There needs to be Pandemic Unimployment that's given for those who are exposed, or parents who are exposed

simcha2

Post  Mon, Jun 29 2020, 10:49 am
exaustedmom wrote:
I actually agree with some of your points especially educational opportunities and lobbying.

Which don't yout agree with, and why?

exaustedmom

Post  Mon, Jun 29 2020, 10:53 am
simcha2 wrote:
Which don't yout agree with, and why?

The others highlighted issues but no solutions Smile

When we leave current politics aside and just focus on actual issues, we realize that we both have a lot in common. Can we all continue in this respectful manner? (Not directed at you but at future posters who care to join)

Ora in town

Post  Mon, Jun 29 2020, 11:02 am
Disparity in education opportunities is an important factor.

In most european countries universities are more or less free (nominal fee).

It would be really hard to start professional life with 500'000$ debt for university level education.

Also, such a system drains the positive forces out of the public system...

DrMom

Post  Mon, Jun 29 2020, 11:04 am
Ora in town wrote:

It would be really hard to start professional life with 500'000$ debt for university level education.

What does this mean?

monkeymamma

Post  Mon, Jun 29 2020, 11:21 am
Ora in town wrote:

America should ensure that every single citizen who wants to go to college gets to go but that would mean that foreigners/illegal aliens would not be given priority and colleges would not like that because they make money off of them. So that is part of the problem in that American colleges educate foreigners at the expense of citizens and that needs to be corrected but not sure how. Same with the job situation where foreigners are given priority over citizens which needs to be changed as well.
  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  Last >> Recent Topics

Page 1 of 7 View latest: 24h 48h 72h