Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Dr Ditchek-Clear cases of reinfection in frum comm,new cases
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

asmileaday

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 7:25 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Theoretically if enough people cared to wear masks and limit gatherings, the virus wouldnt be able to transmit as well, would have less hosts to live in, and would slowly go away

Until the CDC will come out and say masks reduce your oxygen levels and make you more sick. Or whatever else they'll change their mind about.

What I'd like to see is zero monetary incentives for diagnosing and treating a patient with Covid.

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 7:27 am
Success10 wrote:
Can someone brilliant please answer: If there is no long term immunity, how can this thing ever go away? How would a vaccine even be effective if the natural antibodies the virus produces don't last?

In the past, pandemic illnesses have eventually mutated to a less deadly form. The 1918 Flu took about 2 years to do so.

I wish humanity could muster 2 years of patience, wearing masks and SD in a safely reopened world, with minimal parties and small simchos.

asmileaday

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 7:27 am
Success10 wrote:
They might be flukes, meaning that the average person would have longer immunity. My brother had chicken pox twice, which is supposed to be impossible.

So then the "alarm" about 2 people getting reinfected shouldn't be so major if it was just a fluke.

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 7:28 am
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sciencenews.org/article/coronavirus-covid19-reinfection-immune-response/amp

This is old news and isn't what Dr. Ditchek is talking about. In the article you posted, people were sick and tested positive again weeks later without having any symptoms, and without having had a negative test after their first positive. The recent cases we are worried about are people who tested negative after recovering, and then actually got sick again with a positive test - obviously a reinfection.

Success10

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 7:29 am
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
In the past, pandemic illnesses have eventually mutated to a less deadly form. The 1918 Flu took about 2 years to do so.

I wish humanity could muster 2 years of patience, wearing masks and SD in a safely reopened world, with minimal parties and small simchos.

We are a weak generation and that could genuinely affect our global mental health.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 7:42 am
Nothing will ever change. We will be living like this for years and years.
The biggest victims are the small children who will never remember what normal life is supposed to be like. They will grow up thinking that it’s normal to stay far away from people and not play together. This will affect a child’s development in ways we don’t even know yet. For a child to grow up afraid of getting sick and afraid of being near people. Afraid to share toys. Afraid to share a snack. We will raise an entire generation of ocd and socially stunted kids. Crying

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 7:48 am
THANKS CHINA!

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 7:52 am
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
THANKS CHINA!

Make that, Thanks Hashem! HE is the one that runs this world. China was His chosen shliach.

May Hashem protect us from all evil.

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 8:08 am
I'm scared.

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 8:09 am
amother [ Violet ] wrote:

The 2nd wave of the Spanish flu was even deadlier than the first and wiped out the 20-40 year olds.
I am terrified.

amother
Teal

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 8:50 am
Mama Bear wrote:
The 2nd wave of the Spanish flu was even deadlier than the first and wiped out the 20-40 year olds.
I am terrified.

So am I. But the best hishtadlus to prevent that from happening is with masks and SD. Yet I've seen you post elsewhere that in your community these things are nonexistent - at simchas, in shul, at stores, etc. So it's one or the other.

If we take reasonable steps to prevent a second wave, as the doctors are all recommending, we will hopefully all be spared. If we close our eyes and go back to normal life, we won't stand a chance ch"v if there is a second wave. As Dr. Glatt said, ignorance isn't bliss. Ignorance kills.

Zehava

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 8:51 am
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
Nothing will ever change. We will be living like this for years and years.
The biggest victims are the small children who will never remember what normal life is supposed to be like. They will grow up thinking that it’s normal to stay far away from people and not play together. This will affect a child’s development in ways we don’t even know yet. For a child to grow up afraid of getting sick and afraid of being near people. Afraid to share toys. Afraid to share a snack. We will raise an entire generation of ocd and socially stunted kids. Crying

You will
I’m out thankyouvermuch

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 8:53 am
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
So am I. But the best hishtadlus to prevent that from happening is with masks and SD. Yet I've seen you post elsewhere that in your community these things are nonexistent - at simchas, in shul, at stores, etc. So it's one or the other.

If we take reasonable steps to prevent a second wave, as the doctors are all recommending, we will hopefully all be spared. If we close our eyes and go back to normal life, we won't stand a chance ch"v if there is a second wave. As Dr. Glatt said, ignorance isn't bliss. Ignorance kills.

Agree 100%

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 2:57 pm
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
What on earth does that mean???

He's an alarmist. I'm tired of his doom & gloom. This isn't the apocalypse.

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 3:17 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
I'm scared.

Hashem runs the world, not a microscopic virus.

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 4:19 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
I am terrified.

I'm very vocal about the need to continue with precautions. However, I do want to point out that the influenza viruses mutate much more than coronavirus does so there's less chance of this happening.

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 4:29 pm
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
What on earth does that mean???

It means she’s sick and tired of wearing masks, having to be careful, having her kids at home—-TIME TO BE FREE AGAIN! (At all cost)

Success10 wrote:
Can someone brilliant please answer: If there is no long term immunity, how can this thing ever go away? How would a vaccine even be effective if the natural antibodies the virus produces don't last?

What don’t you understand about the fact that this is something this world never experienced before and still doesn’t know much about or have answers? Maybe H-Shem wants everyone to realize only He is in charge and can take it away as fast as He brought it.

4sure

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 4:40 pm
https://medicalxpress.com/news......html

My aunt is sick since March with the virus. She had to be transferred a few times from once place to another and each time they tested her again for the virus. Once she had negative positive negative. Another time she tested positive negative negative.

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 4:55 pm
Success10 wrote:

First of all, I'm not brilliant, but I will tell you what I think, based on my graduate degree in this area.

1) No facebook post should ever be taken as scientific fact.

2) His "facts" and evidence" is not presented, for HIPAA reasons, obviously. But for everyone saying that he's saying "facts" - he's saying things he's seen. I know it sounds like semantics, and it is, but it's different. Facts include de-identified patient samples, test origins, antibody levels, and which laboratories he's using.

3) He says that now some people "are testing positive". However, he doesn't actually say what prompted the new tests. Is he just following these patients? What's concerning is that he said that were initially positive, then they tested "negative for weeks", then they tested positive. How many tests is he doing on a single person, and why? Is he doing his own research? This needs more background.

Also - he doesn't describe any of the symptoms that warranted re-testing. Is he just performing this on anyone with a cough? Are the symptoms as severe as before?

4) OH. Now I see. He bought a bunch of mass-marketed rapid test kits, and are doing it in his own office using the tentatively EU-approved Sofia kit. THIS IS PROBLEMATIC. No test kits have been FDA approved. Some of them are EU approved - there's a difference. Furthermore, even without false positive for Sofia test kits, a kit is only as good as your personnel. How many times did he repeat the test? Is the same person performing all the tests in his office? Is it a nurse performing the test, or a CLS? Is someone performing positive and negative controls alongside each test kit? Does he have a laboratory? Is it sterile? How often is the operator changing PPE? Is it performed in a hood? Is it just on the counter? What?

5) Can there be re-infection? Maybe. The jury is still out on that one. Most scientists don't think so. If there was a possibility for mass re-infection, then you wouldn't see the kind of numbers you're seeing in NY and in already exposed areas. It's just incongruent data. You might have an outlier, but then you have to evaluate each outlier on a case by case example.

Again, I hear that doctors don't want people flinging off their masks and kissing hordes of strangers in public. But the constant insistence on flooding the public with terrifying tales of doom has not been effective for long-term public health strategy. It creates anxiety, fear, anger, resentment, chaos, and eventual non-compliance.
Page 2 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics