Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days
Pre 9 days laundry 🙄
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 11:09 am
Success10 wrote:
Also, you might want to wear a few different outfits for half an hour each, so that you won't be wearing freshly laundered clothes during the 9 days.

You dont have to pre-wear clothes for the 9 days.

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 11:22 am
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
You dont have to pre-wear clothes for the 9 days.

I wonder where that minhag comes from. it's not halacha, is it?
I try to be a better person, not speak lashon hara, be kinder to people, connect more with Hashem and ask Him to send mashiach so we can serve Him fully. I'm not super makpid on no fresh clothes, even for myself. I don't have ten sets of underwear for myself or my kids. I don't have ten outfits for myself or my kids. Confused

sky

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 11:29 am
I find we own a lot of undergarments because we can’t do laundry chol hamoed or the 9 days. So for those 3 times year I stock up.
I figure if I can buy 14 sets for my kids who go to camp I can buy for this too. I think if it as investing in keeping it as best I can.

cbsp

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 11:32 am
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
I try to be a better person, not speak lashon hara, be kinder to people, connect more with Hashem and ask Him to send mashiach so we can serve Him fully. I'm not super makpid on no fresh clothes, even for myself. I don't have ten sets of underwear for myself or my kids. I don't have ten outfits for myself or my kids. Confused

It is halacha to not wear freshly laundered clothing during the 9 days and definitely not the week of tisha b'av.

Underwear is considered "bigdei zeiah" so that's a different category.

If you follow the link I posted above you'll see the halachos laid out and then you have a basis to ask a Rov for clarity and to determine your particular minhagim...

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 11:36 am
Success10 wrote:
Just wash, dry, and dump into bags. DO NOT FOLD! Just get the next load in.
You have 9 whole days to fold it and put it away.

Not quite. Freshly laundered clothes have to be worn for a short while BEFORE the 9 days starts, and also if you throw them in a bag and not fold you will have completely creased laundry

happy chick wrote:
Does everyone really not do laundry the whole 9 days?! And it ends Friday , so waiting till after shabbos to do a thousand loads?!
Am I the only one who dies laundry? TMI

Yes. You’re only allowed to wash clothes for kids if necessary, nothing else

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 11:37 am
juggling wrote:
Yeah, I'm never amazing at that one. I'm thinking I missed the boat with sheets. I was thinking last night that it's time to wash them. I guess washing them today to sleep on tonight would not be okay.

Correct

avrahamama

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 12:06 pm
Success10 wrote:
LOL Ask a rabbi, if you have the guts.

Got my answer.

"Not the best"

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 12:08 pm
pause wrote:
Guess what. It is seriously possible to not shower. We hold that if necessary, one can wash body parts. So we'll wash underarms and privates with a washcloth, but not a full shower. L'kovod Shabbos regular showers.

We don't do the trying on outfits. DH claims that wearing an outfit for a few minutes doesn't undo its status as freshly laundered. He changes once during the day today, and uses these two shirts throughout the nine days (except Shabbos when he puts on a fresh one). Underwear gets changed daily regardless. Kids don't need to do this anyway. As for myself, I re-wear as long as I can and then step on a "new" one before wearing. A lot for me depends on where I'm up to in life (if I have my period, pregnant, nursing, etc.)

Also not showering really depends on what you do during the day. My DH works outside with physical labor. He seriously needs to shower. He comes home soaked in sweat. He takes quick cold showers.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 5:30 pm
You can throw on the floor and stomp if you can’t wear for a little bit, no? That seems to ring a bell.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 6:38 pm
happy chick wrote:
Does everyone really not do laundry the whole 9 days?! And it ends Friday , so waiting till after shabbos to do a thousand loads?!
Am I the only one who dies laundry? TMI
No, you are not the only one who does laundry.

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 7:06 pm
I remember kids in camp walking around with 9 layers of tops erev the 9 days Very Happy

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 7:11 pm
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
You can throw on the floor and stomp if you can’t wear for a little bit, no? That seems to ring a bell.

Yup. This is what I do.

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 7:35 pm
salt wrote:
Please ask someone else, don't take my word as psak, but I think if 9 Av falls on Thursday, you are allowed to do laundry on Friday morning (10 Av) already, lichvod shabbat.

אם יום העשירי חל בערב שבת, מותר לרחוץ ולהסתפר ולכבס מיד בבוקר מפני כבוד השבת. ואם השעה דחוקה - מותר לרחוץ ולהסתפר ולכבס במוצאי תשעה באב. (כה"ח שם ס"ק ו ומשנ"ב ס"ק ג).

Our Rav said since tisha bav is over Thursday night your allowed to do laundry Thursday night. But only laundry - no other 9 day no-no. Ie listening to music, eating meat etc

HelloG

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 8:58 pm
I left too much laundry for the last minute and there was no water pressure by the time I wanted to wash

amother
Gray

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 9:03 pm
Re clothes being creased - I did one last load today and couldn’t fold it for a while once it was done, it’s all somewhat creased but I figure that wearing wrinkled clothes will cancel out the fact that it’s freshly laundered. Makes sense right?

octopus

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 9:08 pm
We do the hokey pokey showers during the nine days. Stand in shower and only wash one body part at a time. It's super not enjoyable. And we also make the water as cold as possible, as much as can be tolerated. Now that I have a removable shower head, it makes washing one part at a time so much easier.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 9:13 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:

It is not halacha. We have no such minhag of pre-wearing the clothes before the 9 days.

So no issue with having put on fresh linen this morning.

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 9:43 pm
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
It seems like there are so many versions in the nine days...noone knows the clear halachos of what is allowed and what not. Some ppl throw on the floor, some try on, some crumple their clothing.

I mean its nice to learn in school, or from a book with halachos, that showering is not allowed. But seriously, is it possible that people walk around in the heat without showers? Is it even possible to try on every outfit, for 8 kids, that we are going to be wearing? Do you think Im a machine that can make sure every child has enough for 9 days? (I have teens as well). All washed and ironed in time? I do the best I can, but seriously cant imagine squeezing in the trying on.

I have this every year....I wish I knew the actual halachos, not just what people say, or minhagim they claim to do.

Look it up!! For most of the questions here you don't need a Rav, because it's not subjective. It's straight up halacha. You can Google the laws from a reputable source. Or you can pick up a kitzur shulchan aruch. English 'book of our heritage' lists a lot of customs, but is also very clear about what is halacha. There are so many ways to know exactly what to do and what is nice but isn't a must. It decreases your stress level so much to access the information. (Side note, this is true 100 times over with other laws, most notably taharas hamishpacha. I'm all for asking shailos but so much of it is straight up halacha that you can look up and know.)

cbsp

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 10:11 pm
ra_mom wrote:
It is not halacha. We have no such minhag of pre-wearing the clothes before the 9 days.

So no issue with having put on fresh linen this morning.

Seems to be more halacha than minhag, especially the fresh sheets. What's your source that is not?

From here :

https://www.etzion.org.il/en/laws-nine-days

The Week of Tisha Be-Av: Laundering During the Nine Days

The mishna (Ta’anit 26b) teaches that “During the week in which Tisha Be-av falls, haircutting and laundry are forbidden.” The Ashkenazic custom is to refrain from taking haircuts for the entire Three Weeks, beginning from Shiva Asar Be-Tamuz.

As for laundering, the Talmud and the Rishonim discuss the definition and scope of this prohibition.

Regarding the definition of laundering, the Talmud relates to a number of points. First, the Talmud (Ta’anit 29b) cites a debate regarding whether one may launder for future use.

R. Nachman said: This restriction only applies to the washing of clothes for immediate wear, but the washing of clothes for storing is permissible. R. Sheshet said: It is forbidden to wash clothes even for storing. R. Sheshet said: A proof for this is that the launderers in the house of Rav are then idle.

Rashi (s.v. afilu) explains that according to R. Sheshet one should one should not launder at all, as “it appears as if one is distracted [from mourning] since he is involved in laundering.”

Furthermore, the Rishonim debate whether the prohibition of laundering includes wearing freshly laundered clothing as well. Rashi (cited by Tosafot, Mo’ed Katan 24b s.v. birkat aveilim) writes in the context of the laws of aveilut that a mourner may wear clothing washed before the mourning period. One might suggest that Rashi would permit someone, during the week of Tisha Be-av, to wear clothing laundered before the prohibition began as well. Some (see Lechem Mishneh on Rambam, Hilkhot Ta’aniyot 5:6) suggest that this may also be the Rambam’s position.

Most Rishonim (Ramban, Torat Ha-adam: Inyan Aveilut Yeshana, s.v. Matnitin; Ran on Rif, Ta’anit 9b s.v. u-kavus; Rashba, Teshuvot 1:187), however, disagree, and prohibit wearing laundered clothing as well.

Practically, the Shulchan Arukh (551:3) prohibits laundering clothing, as well as linens, handkerchiefs, tablecloths, and towels, for all purposes, as well as wearing clothing that was laundered before the Nine Days. Furthermore, the Rama adds that one should not even give one’s clothing to a non-Jewish launderer to have them cleaned during the Nine Days. The Mishna Berura (34) discusses whether one may give one’s clothes to a non-Jewish cleaner in order to launder them after Tisha Be-av.

Additionally, the Rama (4) records that Ashkenazim are accustomed to observe this prohibition for the entire Nine days, and not just during the week of Tisha Be-av.

The Acharonim record a number of leniencies regarding these laws.

First, the Mishna Berura (29) writes that a person who has only one garment may launder his clothing from Rosh Chodesh Av until Shabbat. Similarly, one whose clothes have all been soiled and has no other clothing to wear may wash his clothing, and one need not buy extra clothing in order to have enough for the week. The Posekim disagree as to whether one who is traveling during the Nine Days must bring along enough clothing in order to avoid the need to launder (Piskei Teshuvot 551:21). Similarly, one who does not have clean clothing for Shabbat may launder his clothing (Mishna Berura 32).

Second, the Rama (551:14) cites the Beit Yosef (551), who permits washing cloth diapers for children, and he extends this lenience to all children’s clothing. The Mishna Berura (83) writes that one should not wash a lot of clothing at once, and once should wash the clothing in private, and not in a public place (I.e., at the river, or a Laundromat).

Third, although one is not permitted even to wear freshly laundered clothing, just as a mourner may wear clothing which was previously worn for a short period by another person (Tosafot, Mo’ed Katan 24b; Orchot Chayyim, p. 584; Rama, Yoreh De’ah 389:1), it has similarly become customary to wear one’s freshly laundered clothing for a brief time before Rosh Chodesh, and to then wear them during the Nine Days. R. Yitzchak Ya’akov Weiss (Minchat Yizchak 10:44) cites those who permit throwing laundered clothing on the floor, as this is similar to wearing them before Rosh Chodesh. Seemingly, when garments are packed in a suitcase they also loose the freshly laundered quality, and one should be permitted to wear them during the Nine Days.

Some Posekim write that socks, underwear, and even shirts, which are classified as “bigdei zei’a,” clothes that are intended to absorb perspiration, may be worn during the Nine Days even without being worn previously. Some even permit wearing laundered clothing for the sake of an important meeting or for “shidduchim” (see Piskei Teshuvot 551:17).

One may remove a small stain on one’s clothing in order to avoid embarrassment.

Of course, a hospital may launder sheets, towels, hospital garments, and the like, as the intention is to avoid the spread of disease and not for pleasure. Similarly, R. Eliezer Waldenberg (Tzitz Eliezer 13:61) writes that a hotel may change sheets for new guests, as this is similar to “washing in order to remove filth,” which is also permitted during the Nine Days. Furthermore, he adds that by washing sheets for new guests the hotel fulfils the mitzva of hakhnasat orchim, and washing for the sake of a mitzva is permitted (Rama 551:3).

The Rama (551:1) writes that one does not change into Shabbat clothing for Shabbat Chazon, the Shabbat before Tisha Be-av. The Arukh Ha-Shulchan (551:11) records that for at least two to three generations this ruling of the Rama had not been observed. The Mishna Berura (6) also relates that in Vilna, the custom was in accordance with that of the Gra, and even laundered clothing was worn on Shabbat. R. Epstein suggests that generations ago the difference between weekday and Shabbat clothing may not have been so noticeable, and they therefore would wear their weekday clothing on Shabbat. Nowadays, however, wearing weekday clothes on Shabbat would be akin to public mourning, and this practice is therefore not observed. He concludes by expressing his dissatisfaction with the current custom, and recommends adhering to the original ruling of the Rama. The custom is in accordance with the Mishna Berura.

In addition to laundering clothing, the Shulchan Arukh (551:6-7) adds that one should not purchase, make, or wear new clothing during the Nine Days. Similarly, knitting and needlecraft is also prohibited during the Nine Days (R. Shimon Eider, Halachos of the Three Weeks, p. 11). Repairing a torn garment, however, is permitted (Iggerot Moshe, Orach Chaim 3:79).

As mentioned above, Ashkenazim observe these laws during the entire Nine Days.

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 11:07 pm
jewishmom6 wrote:
Why do kids need to try on clothes?

Talking about my teens... my son came home 6:00 drained, and he is supposed to be trying on clothing? He is not interested.

For a few minutes or half hour? Stomping on it is enough? Im pregnant myself, so do I need to be busy trying on clothing on top of all my kids ironing, supper, bathing, housework....?

Im reading on this thread that everyone does things their own way. Noone really knows if its the right thing to do. Learning that showering or clean isnt allowed, doesnt help as majority of people do shower...I wish the halachos was clear cut, and feasible as well. Even asking a dayan, each one will say something else...
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days