Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Announcements & Mazel Tovs
Enter to Win a Gift-Edition Balabusta’s Daily Organizer!
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

cuffs

Post Thu, Aug 20 2020, 11:49 am
When I bake challah I make a babka with some of the dough and that saves me from making a separate dessert!

Shabbosiscoming

Post Thu, Aug 20 2020, 12:14 pm
I like to have a potato kugel and a prepared portion of cleaned chicken in the freezer ( or cooked chicken). In case of an emergency, Shabbos food prep feels like it's basically already done!

WitchKitty

Post Thu, Aug 20 2020, 12:21 pm
This isn't actually mine but my mom's- who isn't on here so I feel like I want to write hers:

My parents used to hand a dollar bill to each kid to go to the store and buy something they want for shabbos.
That way we were out of the house Friday and we got to eat something we wouldn't get other wise.
They always repeated the mantra that money you use for shabbos gets repaid.

Also, I try sometimes to have everything ready for Shabbos an hour early. Then you come into shabbos so calm!!!
I change the clocks foward an hour so it looks like it's later.

Teomima

Post Thu, Aug 20 2020, 1:44 pm
Every few weeks I make a big batch of banana bread (4-6 loaves, depending on how many bananas I have in the freezer). I wrap the loaves well and freeze them, taking one out each Friday night to defrost for a special Shabbat morning breakfast for the kids. But my family's favorite part is our special banana bread rule: always eat one fresh from the oven! Since I always make them Friday afternoon, we go into Shabbat with fresh, warm, delicious banana bread in our bellies.

Dolly1

Post Thu, Aug 20 2020, 2:32 pm
* We have “coffee time” together every shabbos morning, with their favorite choice of cake I baked before shabbos.

* In the winter we have “sheves achim” friday night after the meal. I put out sweets, chocolates and pop corn... I read them a story and we shmooze.

* In the summer we go to the park every shabbos afternoon.

2gether

Post Thu, Aug 20 2020, 2:38 pm
Want to freeze chicken soup but don't want soggy vegetables? Freeze the vegetables separate from the liquid.
You can also freese matza balls directly in the soup

crema

Post Thu, Aug 20 2020, 3:16 pm
You can freeze beans for chulent. Soak enough beans for 4 shabbosim, portion out into baggies, then place in a ziploc. Label and freeze. Thaw in fridge overnight on Thursday or put in microwave for a minute before using.

Odelyah

Post Thu, Aug 20 2020, 3:58 pm
I buy my girls' 2 favorite magazines-- mishpacha jr. and circle-- and save them for shabbos. they really look forward to it!

Odelyah

Post Thu, Aug 20 2020, 4:09 pm
also we have treats like chocolate or yogurts with choc/cookie toppings, decaf coffee/ hot cocoa and they have a special shabbos breakfast with me in the morning when I have my coffee. we all look forward to that time together

tweek

Post Thu, Aug 20 2020, 6:54 pm
I order food safe extra large plastic bags from a plastic supplier for rising my challah dough. I don't want to use garbage bags since they are not food safe and these bags are perfect!

As a side note, the extra large bags come in handy for mixing large kugel batters and salads.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Aug 20 2020, 7:17 pm
You can freeze cholent. Make 2 side by side in your crockpot in bags, but leave potatoes out of one.
When you need it, thaw, heat up, add potatoes.

saralem

Post Thu, Aug 20 2020, 7:29 pm
I make desserts first. Mainly because I enjoy baking more than cooking. But also because if I waited until after all the food was cooked, I’d be too tired to potchke with cakes. This way, it all gets done on time and I don’t sacrifice the part I enjoy most!

Shuly

Post Thu, Aug 20 2020, 8:19 pm
Pesach - we give out nuts to anyone who asks or answers a question during the seder. It really encourages the kids to participate and it keeps them from getting too hungry before we're up to shulchan orech.

bisbettertheni

Post Fri, Aug 21 2020, 6:39 am
I buy a few prepared dips for shabbos and IF I have time I make some. Either way we have some dips and it makes the shabbos meals something to look forward to with yummy dips.

israelmama

Post Fri, Aug 21 2020, 8:33 am
-I like to set my table and cook on Thursday night. This makes Friday a calm and enjoyable day.

-The family creates the Shabbos/YT menu- it gets everyone involved and excited for Shabbos/YT. It also makes everyone eager to help me in the kitchen!

INSPIREME

Post Fri, Aug 21 2020, 10:29 am
Do whatever can be done for Shabbos on Thursday or earlier in the week, the rest Friday morning so that Friday afternoons are not a hectic day

shstreich

Post Fri, Aug 21 2020, 1:31 pm
when I bake Challos, I line the countertop with a disposable tablecloth for easy cleanup. I wipe the counter with a damp paper towel before I put the tablecloth on and it doesnt move around when I am working on the dough

Good Friend

Post Fri, Aug 21 2020, 1:54 pm
*Each week I make several weeks worth of a different dip and freeze most of it. That way I can make one dip but serve several each week.

*This is my mother's- my kids are still too young but I'm looking forward to doing it because I enjoyed it as a child: Towards the end of Shabbos in the summer when Shabbos ends to late for the kids to stay up for havdala they get ready for bed and then in bed each child chooses a song for my mother and all the kids to sing together.

*Here's a fun clean up game for those Shabbos and Yom tov afternoons when the kids are playing for a few hours and end up with a big mess that no one wants to clean:
You choose one toy and don't tell the kids which. Then they all clean up and whoever put away THE toy is the winner. Since they don't know which they'll all clean up as many as they can to increase their chances of winning. (You may need to remind them that it only counts if they put the toy in its correct drawer or bucket or whatever you use, otherwise they'll try to just dump everything somewhere)

Rubber Ducky

Post Sat, Aug 22 2020, 9:23 pm
Bumping up for Motzei Shabbos posters who would like to enter. The contest continues until Erev Rosh Hashana at candlelighting wherever you live.

BatyaEsther

Post Sun, Aug 23 2020, 1:08 am
After I bench licht, as I kiss each child and wish them a good Shabbos, I tell them each, individually, something from the past week which makes me so proud of them. I give them a specific incident-they helped their sister clean up a spill without being asked, thought to deliver homework for a classmate who was out, shared a beautiful dvar Torah at the dinner table on Wednesday, studied really hard for a test (never proud of the 100, proud of all the effort and hard work-sometime an 83 is a grade to be really, really proud of and if they work their hardest they should feel good about it.)
I also compliment/thank my DH. Said in the right way, it shows appreciation and is not condicending. Verbalizing appreciation and gratitude does wonders in terms of modeling for children appropriate behavior, ensuring that they don't take parents for granted and never hurts ones own SB.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics