Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
What is your 4-7 yr old's immediate answer to this question?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Rikola

Post Sun, Feb 17 2008, 10:29 am
My daughter is 4 and she immediately responded, "Rain!! Now ask me another one of those." Smile

Tehilla

Post Sun, Feb 17 2008, 10:31 am
I asked 3.5 year old DD who stared at me like why was I bothering her--and first said "glue" as she was picking glue off her hands from art projects. then I asked her again and she said "rain."

and proceeded to reassure me that it's not raining right now.

Chani

Post Sun, Feb 17 2008, 10:32 am
DS (4) - rain
DS (4) - snow (which we've got quite a lot of on the ground now)
DS (5) - rain

Newsie

Post Sun, Feb 17 2008, 10:34 am
My almost four year old said "Rain" right away and then waited for me to ask him more q's. When I didn't have any, he told me "this is not a good game."

Atali

Post Sun, Feb 17 2008, 10:48 am
I asked my three and a half year old and he didn't get it

gryp

Post Sun, Feb 17 2008, 11:03 am
This is one of the questions given on an IQ test for this age range. It was interesting to see how the older ones answered correctly immediately and with more mature thought put into it- I'm impressed with that "mon" answer Smile and the comments that came after it like "that was easy" and "ask me another one."

I'm also impressed by the younger ones who got it right. From all my experience dealing with kids, I thought it was absolutely normal to answer haphazardly. Like answering only the first part of the question, or only the second part, or only half of half the question, or taking a few times to get it right.

When I asked my 4.5 yr old son, he didn't even bother listening to what I asked and answered: "birds" with a smile. At the next attempt, he disregarded the question with an off-handed "I don't know." I asked him again and he looked at me like "what do you want from me already" and
he started guessing "birds," "airplanes," "helicopters."

When I asked it again the opposite way: What gets things wet and comes down from Shomayim, he told me "snow."

Before I started this thread, I was sure I would get more responses like what happened with my son. Nice to hear about so many smart kids out there!

Shif- your anecdote was interesting to me, thanks for posting also.

It looks like I got everyone curious about some big research this was supposed to be. Sorry if I disappointed anyone, but this is really all there is to it. Smile

Ruchel

Post Sun, Feb 17 2008, 12:11 pm
I didn't get it LOL
I'm 23 LOL

must be a language barrier

amother

Post Sun, Feb 17 2008, 1:39 pm
My 6 year old right away answered rain.
My 4 year old answered rain and then told me "but if you ask (my 6 year old) he will tell you snow."

gryp

Post Sun, Feb 17 2008, 2:03 pm
Since this I've been asking him tons more. He doesn't get any of them. Confused I keep getting easier and easier until he finally got: "What has wheels and also lights?"

It would be nice if there were a board or card game for kids with clues for kids to figure out.

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Feb 17 2008, 3:01 pm
if you noticed most kids under 4 didnt get it.
I'm debating whether I should ask my 2 1/2 year old.

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Feb 17 2008, 3:01 pm
UPDATE: he looked at me like I was nuts and said "oy." LOL!

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Feb 17 2008, 3:07 pm
GR wrote:
Since this I've been asking him tons more. He doesn't get any of them. Confused I keep getting easier and easier until he finally got: "What has wheels and also lights?"

It would be nice if there were a board or card game for kids with clues for kids to figure out.
great moneymaking idea, go for it!

gryp

Post Sun, Feb 17 2008, 3:13 pm
Quote:
if you noticed most kids under 4 didnt get it.

Mama Bear, the question is supposed to be appropriate for the 4-7 age range. At least on the second or third try.

My 2 yr old would probably say something similar to yours, probably: "Yeah, Mommy?" as if he's asking me if it's raining.

Quote:
great moneymaking idea, go for it!

I'm actually considering it. Another one of my great money-making ideas. Rolling Eyes I'm stuck on deciding if I should make it Jewish or for everyone or both. Confused

Tefila

Post Sun, Feb 17 2008, 3:14 pm
She answered rain ofcourse, but only after asking why do u want to know (since she was in the middle of drawing a picture of a girl so couldn't understand the connection , so I told her just because LOL )
Quote:
When I asked it again the opposite way: What gets things wet and comes down from Shomayim, he told me "snow."

Well thats not a wrong answer u know Tongue Out

But it does depend on the age and quite frankly what they are doing or thinking of at that moment wether it's shayach or not before you interrupted their train of thought LOL
I bet if you stick with transportation and community figures he would get it straight away Very Happy
Anyways to put a lot of you at ease my 5 yr old only now can do backwards in order the count from 20. Whereas forward counting till way more she was doing as a tot go, figure Wink

Last edited by Tefila on Sun, Feb 17 2008, 3:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

Chani

Post Sun, Feb 17 2008, 3:15 pm
GR, maybe he's just not into answering you today...I have that experience with one of my 4 year olds - sometimes we do aleph beis flash cards and he doesn't miss any, but then on a different day he's just not interested so he'll just call out random letters until I get the hint and leave him alone. (Come to think of it, I think he gets this from DH! Just kidding. lol)

gryp

Post Sun, Feb 17 2008, 3:31 pm
Kids are so funny, I just love their innocent responses, and I miss teaching just from reading the responses in this thread.

Quote:
Well thats not a wrong answer u know

I know, Tefila. "Snow" is a good enough answer for me, especially after he answered "birds." Confused

Quote:
Anyways to put a lot of you at ease my 5 yr old only now can do backwards in order the count from 20. Whereas forward counting till way more she was doing as a tot go, figure

Isn't it interesting where kids have different strengths and weaknesses? A month or so ago I showed him how to count backwards from 10, and the next day I heard him counting backwards from 50 shock by himself while he was busy playing.

Quote:
GR, maybe he's just not into answering you today...I have that experience with one of my 4 year olds - sometimes we do aleph beis flash cards and he doesn't miss any, but then on a different day he's just not interested so he'll just call out random letters until I get the hint and leave him alone. (Come to think of it, I think he gets this from DH! Just kidding. lol)

LOL.
Chani, maybe he would do better a different day, but I don't think he would do much better. He is better at the kind of thing where I would tell him a fact or piece of information and he'll remember it for the rest of his life. Thanks for that suggestion, I know my 2 yr old will tell me a wrong answer 15 times before he finally tells me the right one which he knew all along, but I think this is one of his weaknesses which I'm happy to know about so I can work on it with him.

zigi

Post Sun, Feb 17 2008, 3:37 pm
I asked my son and he ave a totally random answer, he is going to be 4 a week after pesach.

GAMZu

Post Sun, Feb 17 2008, 4:42 pm
My son is 3 years 8 months. At first he told me to answer it myself a couple of times. When I insisted that he answer, he said Street. Then he guessed Food. Question

BlumaG

Post Sun, Feb 17 2008, 6:49 pm
DD is 4, she said um um um rain

11lilducks

Post Sun, Feb 17 2008, 6:59 pm
My son almost 3 1/2 said "Um I think rain do that". Yes My older kids thought this was good but wanted to know why I was asking.
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics