Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Strollers
Stroller Confused!
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Post Tue, Sep 20 2005, 1:34 pm
defin. go w/ the snap-and-go. I started w/ the graco travel system and the stroller was so big and bulky (and heavy) we had to have our trunk COMPLETELY empty and still do some maneuvering to get it in (it's now at my mother's house as her spare stroller- you can have it if you want Wink ). so I borrowed a snap-and-go and love it! the person I borrowed it from (my sis) had a baby 2 months after me, so I was in a bit of a bind for a little while, but now, I just use an umbrella stroller for my little guy and it's so compact, lightweight, and cheap!

Tovah

Post Tue, Sep 20 2005, 1:51 pm
another good thing is ask what their return policy is. I know when I bought my double perego they told me I can't return it, u can send for a warenty and that's it. well my warenty never came in the mail, my cup holder broke, and the wheels are terrible and now I'm stuck with this 430$ stroller.
so make sure u can return it or atleast have them send u a new one.

girliesmommy

Post Tue, Sep 20 2005, 2:00 pm
A big thing for me is the handle - one bar or two separate handles.
Keep in mind that you need both hands to push the second option. With a single handle, you can hold an umbrella, talk on the phone, etc.

Expecting

Post Tue, Sep 20 2005, 2:15 pm
but if you dont have a car, two handles are better for groceries. I have the peg perego pliko p3 and love it. my baby is very comfy in it. he is 11 months old and can still sleep in it. from the "fancier" strollers, like the inglesina zippy, it is the lighter one. its about 16 lbs. you can get the car seat for it, but from what I understand the 2005 model can take any car seat. I happen to bump mine up 4 flights of steps everytime I use it, but thats my own thing. its not too bad...

good luck

shoy18

Post Tue, Sep 20 2005, 2:49 pm
girliesmommy wrote:
A big thing for me is the handle - one bar or two separate handles.
Keep in mind that you need both hands to push the second option. With a single handle, you can hold an umbrella, talk on the phone, etc.

I have a two handle stroller and I can wheel it with one hand the handles are very sturdy and its fine

happymom

Post Tue, Sep 20 2005, 3:07 pm
I Heard maclarens are good.... I have the inglesina zippy and Im happy with it. I dont like gracos because they are huge and take up way too much room.. they also dont fold that well....

Shimmysmom

Post Tue, Sep 20 2005, 3:08 pm
I agree with those who say go for one handlebar instead of two - in my opinion it is MUCH easier to push with one hand, no trouble steering.
two other things to consider: I love my stroller b/c it has a huge basket underneath which is ALWAYS accessible- even if the seat is fully reclined. a lot of strollers' baskets are inaccessible if the seat is reclined.
if you live in a snowy climate- big wheels are a must.

1stimer

Post Tue, Sep 20 2005, 3:59 pm
things to consider are (depending on your situ):

how heavy it is,
how compact it is when it folds,
how easily it folds (remember u will most often be doing this holding a baby in one hand),
how much space it takes up,
material that it is made up of - is it washable (very imp.) is it cool? (if you live in a hot climate, this can be a big problem)
how comfortable it is too push,
etc.

Try and go by recommendations, but I think you'll only decide once you have used it for a while!

Rivka

Post Tue, Sep 20 2005, 5:37 pm
I got the Graco Metro Travel system because it's lighter than most travel systems and at the time was the thinnest in width. It folds up great, really easy only need one hand. I didn't have a car then, but the wheels are big so it goes over any terrain really easy and the reason I wanted a travel system is because if I took a taxi back from shops I had didn't have to lug around a huge car seat which would get knicked.
Plus it has a big basket at the bottom so you can put lots of stuff in it.
It's 2½ years old now and it still is fine. It is plastic but it's pretty sturdy and it didn't cost £500 like the major expensive ones.
It's easy to clean (you can take off the whole seat covering and stick it in the washing machine) and it has a cup holder in the front and also near the handle bar. I still use it now to take my son to nursery so it's still getting quite used, but before the car it was used constantly as I had to walk absolutely everywhere. It's comfy for the baby too.
U really have to look for a buggy that suits your lifestyle and budget.
Also snap and gos are only good really if you have a car coz they take up less room. Also you have to look into whether you want to spend on a seperate buggy and then a car seat because getting it all combined is cheaper.

amother

Post Tue, Sep 20 2005, 6:07 pm
Rivka wrote:
Also you have to look into whether you want to spend on a seperate buggy and then a car seat because getting it all combined is cheaper.

(Queen- not signed in)
exactly..... that's why I'm asking now. combined is cheaper- but that means buying the american graco brand vs. the better made (more expensive) inglesina/peg perego models.

I'm about to print out all your posts to show my husband, as he is more practical than me.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Tue, Sep 20 2005, 9:37 pm
I have the Graco Metrolite. It's sturdy and looks good. The one downside is it's not closable with 1 hand -- but if you're not taking buses, it's probably not a big deal. The graco snugride carseats (for infants up to approx 6 months) fits in. It has a nice basket underneath. There's a cup tray for mom and baby.

klotzkashe

Post Wed, Sep 21 2005, 6:39 am
A few of my friends have the Roger Armstrong Elfin stroller. It's a three wheeler but it's TINY and compact. it weighs like 7 kgs or about 14lbs and folds in one easy go (into a small fold) so it's easy for in and out of hte car. it's suitable from birth and its' CHEAP! in aussie it was like 130 adn now its 165 - but in us dollars that's like 120 bucks...

http://www.rogerarmstrong.com......?ID=2

happymom

Post Wed, Sep 21 2005, 9:14 am
Queen do u live in y? If you do and u decide to get the inglesina zippy let me know because I klnow of someone who is selling them now on sale for 130 instead of 230.... my sis in law just got one there and its beautiful.

Tefila

Post Wed, Sep 21 2005, 5:16 pm
Quote:
it weighs like 7 kgs or about 14lbs and folds in one easy go (into a small fold) so it's easy for in and out of hte car. it's suitable from birth and its' CHEAP!

Too light is also not good since it's tippable and nonething worse when they get older and want to go in themselves and the thing tips or you put bags on the handles child comes out and stroller tips I say mid range 20 -25lb is u'r best bet.

Rivka

Post Wed, Sep 21 2005, 7:03 pm
You can have other makes like Mammas and pappas they do a clippable buggy thing and it's a pretty decent make.
But Maclaren and Buggaboo don't do that and the other fancy shmancy ones.
Truth is, any buggy that is being used constantly for a good few years is going to break on you so it depends how much you want to spend on it.

queen

Post Thu, Sep 22 2005, 1:17 am
Rivka wrote:
Truth is, any buggy that is being used constantly for a good few years is going to break on you so it depends how much you want to spend on it.

certain strollers will break sooner than others.... many times dependant on the $$$$$$$$$$ spent!

queen

Post Thu, Sep 22 2005, 1:18 am
I'm going to compile a list from all your suggestions before we go to the store next!

thanks again.......
from a slightly less confused queen

elisecohen

Post Thu, Sep 22 2005, 8:16 am
We have K"H 5 kids and we've found that the less expensive things usually are just fine. I've never had anything except a Graco (or equivalent) stroller, a $30 highchair that's still in great shape and cleans up like a dream, and so on. We finally got rid of our 10 year old $30 Graco infant car seat for this baby just because it was so old. And this is even though my kids are all very small and use the infant stuff a long time; also due to his medical condition on of my kids used the stoller for a REALLY excessive time (since he couldn't walk til he was almost 2 and didn't have the energy even after that to walk very far at all).

As far as strollers go specifically, lots of bag space is good and especially storage that's not under the baby so you can carry food/groceries. The Evenflo stroller base that's meant to be used with any brand of infant car seat is good in this way because a lot of the underneath storage is behind, not under, the baby.

I don't mean this to be judgemental, but there is just no reason for almost any new parents, other than "keeping up with the Katzes," to run out and buy a $500 carriage when one from a baby goods gemach or Toys 'R Us will work just as well for just as long. Believe me there will be plenty of things to spend the money on once the baby arrives (don't even get started looking at how much toddler shoes cost!).

Rivk

Post Thu, Sep 22 2005, 8:38 am
I agree elisecohen! Forget the european stuff and just get a good ole American brand (If you live in the USA that is!)

happymom

Post Thu, Sep 22 2005, 10:16 am
elsiecohen... I agree with u to an extent... I think 500 to spend on a stroller is nuts... HOWEVER... there are some people who bought cheaper brands.... and they didn't have such luck... my mother had to buy three highchairs since they were the cheaper ones and they broke.... some people really aren't happy with their gracos and like the inglesina or others better because they fold better... or they are better for their apartment because they are very small etc... whatever the reason I think if you can afford to buy a really good brand its better because 1) you can always return it if anything goes wrong and b) most times if its a really good brand, it lasts longer.... so to pay 200 dollars on a very sturdy stroller and 100 dollars on a sturdy wooden highchair etc... to me isn't a waste of money at all.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics