Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Games
Math and logic riddle thread
  Previous  1  2  3 12  13  14 67  68  69  Next

ExtraCredit

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 11:45 am
That’s too much for this amount of sleep and no food.
Pls hide your answer so others can try it soon...
Now that I look back I find it so simple! Banging head

doodlesmom

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 1:34 pm
mamma llama wrote:
And we have a winner! Party

Yup got the correct answer too! I hate doing the hidden content....

ChanieMommy

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 1:25 am
mamma llama wrote:
5+3+2 = 151022
9+2+4 = 183652
8+6+3 = 482466
5+4+5 = 202541
Then...
7+2+5 = ______

Hidden: 

7+2+5 = 143547

ChanieMommy

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 1:27 am
You are playing sheshbesh (backgammon1).

you have to risk a stone alone in capturing distance from one of your opponent's stones.

Is it better to put your stone: right next to the opponent's stone, 3 away, 5 away?

1Backgammon: you play with two dice (1-6) and you can move either what one dice says, or the sum of both...

ChanieMommy

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 8:40 am
ChanieMommy wrote:
You are playing sheshbesh (backgammon1).

you have to risk a stone alone in capturing distance from one of your opponent's stones.

Is it better to put your stone: right next to the opponent's stone, 3 away, 5 away?

1Backgammon: you play with two dice (1-6) and you can move either what one dice says, or the sum of both...

Sheshbesh is an exellent game to bring home probablities.

Hidden: 

It's best to go right next to the other stone, because
out of 36 possibilities,
there are 11 ways of getting 1, but
there are 13 ways of getting 3 and
there are 15 ways of getting 5

So one is the least probable of those possibilites, the absolute least wout be 12, with only 1 possibility...

ExtraCredit

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 1:23 pm
I first gotta learn the game to be able to figure out the riddle.
I never played backgammon even though we have it in the ‘15 games in 1’ we have at home. We mostly stick to chess Confused !

ChanieMommy

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 2:43 pm
That's an old one:

Two men fall through a chimney.
One is black with sooth, the other stays white and tidy.

Which one will go and wash?

ChanieMommy

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 2:51 pm
ExtraCredit wrote:
I first gotta learn the game to be able to figure out the riddle.
I never played backgammon even though we have it in the ‘15 games in 1’ we have at home. We mostly stick to chess Confused !

Oh, wow, you play chess? That's the master's game...

Sheshbesh is for simple minds like mine, a little bit of luck, a little bit of strategy.

So the game is about this: the two players set up their15 stones up symetrically, the way it is shown, and the aim is for each player to bring all of his stones out. One player plays clockwise, the other counterclockwise. Obviously, there is one "start" for each player and one "arrival"...

If you have two ore more stones on a field, you block the field, the other player cannot land on it. If you have only one stone on a field, the other player can catch the stone. In this case, the stone goes out, you have to bring in this stone before you can do anything else, and start from 0 with this stone...

As soon as all stones are in the last quarter of the road, the player is allowed to move stones out.

The game is played with two dice, and each player can choose to move two stones, one for each result of each die, or one for the sum of both dice...

ExtraCredit

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 2:53 pm
ChanieMommy wrote:
That's an old one:

Two men fall through a chimney.
One is black with sooth, the other stays white and tidy.

Which one will go and wash?

Hidden: 

The clean one cuz he sees his friend is dirty so he assumes he’s also Hiding

You reminded me of another one. I’ll do in a separate post.

ExtraCredit

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 2:54 pm
ChanieMommy wrote:
Oh, wow, you play chess? That's the master's game...

Sheshbesh is for simple minds like mine, a little bit of luck, a little bit of strategy.

So the game is about this: the two players set up their15 stones up symetrically, the way it is shown, and the aim is for each player to bring all of his stones out. One player plays clockwise, the other counterclockwise. Obviously, there is one "start" for each player and one "arrival"...

If you have two ore more stones on a field, you block the field, the other player cannot land on it. If you have only one stone on a field, the other player can catch the stone. In this case, the stone goes out, you have to bring in this stone before you can do anything else, and start from 0 with this stone...

As soon as all stones are in the last quarter of the road, the player is allowed to move stones out.

The game is played with two dice, and each player can choose to move two stones, one for each result of each die, or one for the sum of both dice...

Whoo! Thanks so much for explaining! I’ll try a couple of games when it’s game time around here next! Usually Shabbos. I’ll need to rewrite your instructions first Confused

ExtraCredit

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 2:57 pm
There are only 2 barbers in town.

One has a messy haircut himself, a messy store full of hair and a long line of customers.

The other barber has a perfect haircut, an immaculate store and hardly any customers.

Which barber would you choose and why?

ChanieMommy

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 3:02 pm
ExtraCredit wrote:
There are only 2 barbers in town.

One has a messy haircut himself, a messy store full of hair and a long line of customers.

The other barber has a perfect haircut, an immaculate store and hardly any customers.

Which barber would you choose and why?

That's funny.

Hidden: 

I suppose the messy one, because the messy one gives the perfect haircut to his colleague, while the barber with the perfect haircut only knows to do messy haircuts...

Also, the messsy one is always busy, so he has not time to clear up (but why doesn't he have help or an apprentice for cleaning?). and the long line indicates how sought after he is, while the other one has no clients (because everyone in town knows he is a bad barber?)

This said, the barber with the perfect haircut might be innocent, because it also depends how often you go to the barber...

So I personally still would choose the clean one, because I don't like waiting in line, I don't like messy barbershops, and I don't really care what my haircut looks like...

ChanieMommy

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 3:04 pm
You are in a room with 22 people. How big are the chances that at least two people in the room have the same (gregorian) birthday?

ChanieMommy

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 3:10 pm
ExtraCredit wrote:
Hidden: 

Yes, you got it.

malki2

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 3:11 pm
ExtraCredit wrote:
Hidden: 

But what if there’s a mirror there? Then it will be the opposite...

ExtraCredit

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 3:13 pm
ChanieMommy wrote:
That's funny.

Hidden: 

I suppose the messy one, because the messy one gives the perfect haircut to his colleague, while the barber with the perfect haircut only knows to do messy haircuts...

Also, the messsy one is always busy, so he has not time to clear up (but why doesn't he have help or an apprentice for cleaning?). and the long line indicates how sought after he is, while the other one has no clients (because everyone in town knows he is a bad barber?)

This said, the barber with the perfect haircut might be innocent, because it also depends how often you go to the barber...

So I personally still would choose the clean one, because I don't like waiting in line, I don't like messy barbershops, and I don't really care what my haircut looks like...

Why do you always mess up your answers? You were right till the last paragraph Very Happy
Hidden: 

Messy barber shop barber does a perfect job while clean barber shop barber does a messy job. The proof is on their (fish) heads. They each use the only other barber in town.

ExtraCredit

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 3:16 pm
ChanieMommy wrote:
You are in a room with 22 people. How big are the chances that at least two people in the room have the same (gregorian) birthday?

Where do I start? Banging head

ExtraCredit

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 3:17 pm
malki2 wrote:

What if there’s no sink?
Or if they broke all their bones so they can’t wash up?

malki2

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 3:19 pm
ExtraCredit wrote:
What if there’s no sink?
Or if they broke all their bones so they can’t wash up.

Here’s the real problem: how can 2 people come down a chimney, one comes out clean and the other one comes out dirty? It’s just not possible.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 3:20 pm
malki2 wrote:

Or if he looks down at himself.
Page 13 of 69   Previous  1  2  3 12  13  14 67  68  69  Next Recent Topics