Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Underpaid at camp
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Sep 17 2020, 12:53 pm
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
This could be a separate spinoff about the pros and cons of working for a frum employer or community institution. There are many pros, for sure.

But one big con is that with a frum employer (for many people, though not all) you will not be able to publicly complain about any mistreatment, much less even consider any sort of legal action (not saying whether OP's daughter had any viable claim in this case).

Non Jewish camps also pay sleepover staff a joke. There are 100s of threads about it online.
No one is forcing anyone to go to camp. Ppl go because they want to.

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Sep 17 2020, 12:59 pm
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
That is terrible and what’s even worse is that people are okay with it.

So then don't work there. Have your teen take a job at a fast food restaurant.

imorethanamother

Post Thu, Sep 17 2020, 1:03 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yes, thank you. I hope my children will never turn in to people who mistreat others, just because they can, and it's an accepted practice.
I've heard that it's best to stick to just eating kugel with yidden, ( as opposed to working with them) now I see it for myself Can't Believe It

This is a really mean thing to say. Your anger is misplaced. I hope you don't project this attitude to your children, against klal yisroel. Instead, you should listen to what other posters have said and do some basic legwork next time before accepting jobs without knowing how much you will get paid.

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Sep 17 2020, 1:14 pm
Staff in sleepover camp gets paid very little if at all, since the girls are getting room and board, including meals, plus a camp experience.
Daycamps in the city pay very little too.
I received $75 a week as an assistant as a kid.
$500 camp credit for doing a camp play, shiur, choirs, head counselors aid for 8 weeks in camp. (Covered my sisters camp expenses)
$135 a week is very typical.

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Sep 17 2020, 1:23 pm
OP, I understand your disappointment. But the failure here was research, and not the camp.

I worked at a camp for years as a married staff member. Per hour, the pay was nothing, because I worked around the clock. But it was worth it for the fun my kids had. I made that choice for myself and my family.

Most camps work this way. The girls want to come to be with friends, swim, enjoy activities, special guest shiurim, etc. They also provide room and board, food, etc. This is the deal with camp - take it or leave it.

If they promised an amount and didn't pay it, you'd be right to be mad because people should stick with their word. And they're not responsible for the youth corp's program - especially this summer!

As far as charging a fortune, that's none of your business. They can charge and pay whatever they like. But you should know that most camps don't make huge profits, and this year, they're lucky if they break even. They pay a fortune for things that you don't see - insurance, maintenance, property taxes, etc. That's besides for trips, food, staff - they need lots and lots of staff so small salaries add up when you have 100 counselors - etc.

It's true that most camps have a hard time finding older girls to work there because the pay is so low. Most girls that age stay in the city to make money.

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Sep 17 2020, 1:23 pm
OP is being extremely unfair. That kugel line? Shameful.

Find a job for your dd on a mountain campus with full room and board, loads of snacks, weekend accommodations all catering to her religious needs...with nonJewish employers.

Maybe your dd would like to work for nonJews next time. I'm sure she'll have a way better experience. Sarcasm.

boysrus

Post Thu, Sep 17 2020, 3:10 pm
Teenage boys get paid less than this. My 18 yr old was paid $85/week to be a main counselor in a large boys daycamp. OOT. and the year before that he was paid $80/week.
So I think $135 is a great salary OP Smile

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 17 2020, 3:21 pm
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
OP is being extremely unfair. That kugel line? Shameful.

Find a job for your dd on a mountain campus with full room and board, loads of snacks, weekend accommodations all catering to her religious needs...with nonJewish employers.

Maybe your dd would like to work for nonJews next time. I'm sure she'll have a way better experience. Sarcasm.

I'm sorry if I touched a raw nerve. I was venting my frustration.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 17 2020, 3:22 pm
boysrus wrote:
Teenage boys get paid less than this. My 18 yr old was paid $85/week to be a main counselor in a large boys daycamp. OOT. and the year before that he was paid $80/week.
So I think $135 is a great salary OP Smile

Horrible. What would they do if Noone accepts such a job offer?

Chaya123

Post Thu, Sep 17 2020, 3:23 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi all
My daughter was working at a camp this year. Since everything was last minute regarding camps opening, none of the staff received a contract. She just received her pay, a month after finishing the work, mind you. She got $135/per week, working 6 days a week. No she was not a mother's helper. Last year her friend got double, in addition to youth corp money. During the summer a few people, including her manager, mentioned how dedicated and responsible she is.
I'm disappointed and very angry at the administrator. My question though, as a mother of an older teenager, what am I supposed to do in this situation? What my message supposed to be to my child? I'm not happy with my initial reaction, honestly. I was enraged. It was a really challenging job that she basically was tipped for. Besides, that was her only chance to make some money for the year. Sad

How old is she and where do you live? That's a lot! My almost 15 year old daughter who just started 9th grade got $95 per week for working from 930-215 every day and Friday until 12. That's the going rate in our area.
Also, not all camps paid on time. My husband worked really hard at a day camp and got paid also a few weeks after he finished working.
I think it's a nice amount and maybe she can buy herself something nice now so she feels the reward instead of just putting it away.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 17 2020, 3:37 pm
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
OP, I understand your disappointment. But the failure here was research, and not the camp.

I worked at a camp for years as a married staff member. Per hour, the pay was nothing, because I worked around the clock. But it was worth it for the fun my kids had. I made that choice for myself and my family.

Most camps work this way. The girls want to come to be with friends, swim, enjoy activities, special guest shiurim, etc. They also provide room and board, food, etc. This is the deal with camp - take it or leave it.

If they promised an amount and didn't pay it, you'd be right to be mad because people should stick with their word. And they're not responsible for the youth corp's program - especially this summer!

As far as charging a fortune, that's none of your business. They can charge and pay whatever they like. But you should know that most camps don't make huge profits, and this year, they're lucky if they break even. They pay a fortune for things that you don't see - insurance, maintenance, property taxes, etc. That's besides for trips, food, staff - they need lots and lots of staff so small salaries add up when you have 100 counselors - etc.

It's true that most camps have a hard time finding older girls to work there because the pay is so low. Most girls that age stay in the city to make money.

I paid for another child to be a camper in this same camp. Not by choice. Not the camper nor the staff member had any special activities - if anything, there was less entertainment this year, as expected due to coronavirus.
The thing is, all the prices went up, including the camp price. That was my point in mentioning the camp price.
Whatever people are willing to accept becomes the norm. If we collectively think it's ok to have our kids work for pennies we get what we get

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 17 2020, 3:45 pm
watergirl wrote:
But her research was WITH Youth Corps. The camp's pay minus YC is very low. Also, at first it sounded like she was a camp counselor, then you said she had a different sort of job there. Did she research people who had that same position?

Yes, same position.
Look, I get that there is no halachig leg to stand on and hashafah-wise it should be a kaparah. The reality is that everyone has accepted these salaries and I didn't get the memo. Oh well

Chaya123

Post Thu, Sep 17 2020, 3:46 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yes, thank you. I hope my children will never turn in to people who mistreat others, just because they can, and it's an accepted practice.
I've heard that it's best to stick to just eating kugel with yidden, ( as opposed to working with them) now I see it for myself Can't Believe It

Actually, the expression is "mit mishpacha est men kugel", meaning in regards to family members, eat kugel with them, and don't go into business with them.
But other yidden?? Please!!

Chaya123

Post Thu, Sep 17 2020, 3:49 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I paid for another child to be a camper in this same camp. Not by choice. Not the camper nor the staff member had any special activities - if anything, there was less entertainment this year, as expected due to coronavirus.
The thing is, all the prices went up, including the camp price. That was my point in mentioning the camp price.
Whatever people are willing to accept becomes the norm. If we collectively think it's ok to have our kids work for pennies we get what we get

Actually some camps pay nothing! The payoff is the fun they have and facilities, food etc. BH she had place to be and had a great time. So many children's summer plans were ruined and they stayed home with nothing to do. Also, is your daughter upset about this or just you?

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Sep 17 2020, 3:51 pm
OP it's not really about you. It is about your daughter. It sounds like you are projecting your emotions on to her. Being "willing" to have your children work for certain wages...it's about them, their life and work experience. She isn't a 12 year old. She is 19. A legal adult.

Chaya123

Post Thu, Sep 17 2020, 3:52 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
No, they didn't want to discuss the pay. There was no clear answer. I had another child working in a different camp and their experience was very, very different - fair treatment in all aspects, pay included.
I'm very sad. This wasn't a fun job with friends - the kid needed the money. I guess experience is a great benefit. I just hate for my kid to turn bitter and sarcastic as myself, before time

Your kid will be fine if she's you're fine. I understand it's disappointing and you feel gypped. Hope you can move past this and live and learn.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 17 2020, 3:56 pm
Chaya123 wrote:
Actually some camps pay nothing! The payoff is the fun they have and facilities, food etc. BH she had place to be and had a great time. So many children's summer plans were ruined and they stayed home with nothing to do. Also, is your daughter upset about this or just you?

For sure upset. She took care of getting this job herself and tried to do everything right, including finding out the salary. Actually, her manager kept telling her that she's working too hard. My kids aren't afraid to work hard and are very responsible. It was a major let down

Chaya123

Post Thu, Sep 17 2020, 4:00 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
For sure upset. She took care of getting this job herself and tried to do everything right, including finding out the salary. Actually, her manager kept telling her that she's working too hard. My kids aren't afraid to work hard and are very responsible. It was a major let down

That's very disappointing and I'm sure you all feel taken advantage of! Not sure what to say except you live and learn. Is there anyone you can speak with about it?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 17 2020, 4:00 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
OP it's not really about you. It is about your daughter. It sounds like you are projecting your emotions on to her. Being "willing" to have your children work for certain wages...it's about them, their life and work experience. She isn't a 12 year old. She is 19. A legal adult.

I accept that she's an adult. I'm not fighting her battles. Just venting here.
Apparently, low salary is the camp right

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Sep 17 2020, 4:03 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

For gosh sakes.

Your daughter accepted a job without asking how much she was going to make.

She was paid a salary that, without more details, seems to be commensurate with what camps -- frum or non-frum (you don't think that only frum camps take advantage of the minimum wage exemption, now do you?) -- pay.

And now you're insulting all Jews because of it?
Page 4 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children