Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Ami or Mishpacha
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 4:08 pm
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
Meh. I especially went to read the article although I was saving the mag for Sukkos. It was nothing like Lev Tahor. It was written with disapproval. It was made very clear that the author disapproved of the man. These are the kinds of articles that make Ami interesting. I don't only want to hear from the heroes.

of course. rechy isnt approving of what tzivia says there. I didnt mean for this to turn into a lashon hora thread.
What I meant to say is that just reading what tzivia says about her father's views is probably gonna generate controversy.

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 4:43 pm
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
I've heard circle is fantastic

Dread Thursday mornings when my 5 year old makes me read Jr to her. I’m sorry but it’s terrible. Truly terrible.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 4:50 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
of course. rechy isnt approving of what tzivia says there. I didnt mean for this to turn into a lashon hora thread.
What I meant to say is that just reading what tzivia says about her father's views is probably gonna generate controversy.

I hear. I don’t know much about neturei karta.

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 5:03 pm
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
Its weird though, there's literally a "Ami or Mishpacha?" thread every two months. Truly bizarre if its coming from the staff, like come up with something more original...

I also have my suspicions about some of the threads opened to discuss brand new serials or columns in various magazines, Very Happy
Again, I have no complaints. I think it's wise from a marketing viewpoint and I like getting to chime in as a reader.

mha3484

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 5:06 pm
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
Dread Thursday mornings when my 5 year old makes me read Jr to her. I’m sorry but it’s terrible. Truly terrible.

This is DH's job haha. He gets to read it to the 5 year old. I will play with them for hours but reading out loud is my least favorite activity so let them associate abba with book/magazine reading.

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 6:35 pm
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
I also have my suspicions about some of the threads opened to discuss brand new serials or columns in various magazines, Very Happy
Again, I have no complaints. I think it's wise from a marketing viewpoint and I like getting to chime in as a reader.

Yeah - but it's kind of dishonest, no?
Asking for opinions under the guise of needing help to choose. I dunno.

Nu... so OP which magazine are you from? Ami? Mishpacha?
At least tell us now...

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 6:39 pm
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
Yeah - but it's kind of dishonest, no?
Asking for opinions under the guise of needing help to choose. I dunno.

Nu... so OP which magazine are you from? Ami? Mishpacha?
At least tell us now...

At this point op is not trustable. So if she works for one she might tell you she’s from the other. But I doubt she works for any of them. Why would someone who works for them want to create a thread where her magazine will be criticized?

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 6:41 pm
At this point op is not trustable. So if she works for one she might tell you she’s from the other. But I doubt she works for any of them. Why would someone who works for them want to create a thread where her magazine will be criticized?

you're right about trustworthy.

But re: criticism, sure criticism is a great thing - it lets them know what they need to work on. I agree with Yellow on this that it is wise from a marketing perspective. Good businesses really listen to what their customers want and continue to improve based on feedback (and magazines is a business at the end of the day) I'm just not sure it's ethical or honest.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 6:53 pm
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
you're right about trustworthy.

But re: criticism, sure criticism is a great thing - it lets them know what they need to work on. I agree with Yellow on this that it is wise from a marketing perspective. Good businesses really listen to what their customers want and continue to improve based on feedback (and magazines is a business at the end of the day) I'm just not sure it's ethical or honest.

I think they have more effective ways of getting feedback. A post that says “xxx is terrible” as one poster wrote above is more damaging than the feedback. But hey you never know...

Odelyah

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 9:42 pm

if she doesn't work for Ami why would she delete her post where she apparently outed herself?

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 9:48 pm
Odelyah wrote:
if she doesn't work for Ami why would she delete her post where she apparently outed herself?

She didn’t out that she works for one. She outed the fact that she reads both magazines. Maybe she writes the column that she praised though? Who knows.

Odelyah

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 9:51 pm
She didn’t out that she works for one. She outed the fact that she reads both magazines. Maybe she writes the column that she praised though? Who knows.

that could be I guess.. she was definitely looking for opinions comparing the 2 magazines though... you're right though. who knows. whatever.

Odelyah

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 9:57 pm

idk midvar sheker tirchak maybe? I think it's definitely good to seek feedback and constructive criticism but why not just ask directly in a straightforward manner?? people would answer just as honestly as when they are being tricked Confused especially anonymous people online who are being asked for their input...

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 10:33 pm
Odelyah wrote:
idk midvar sheker tirchak maybe? I think it's definitely good to seek feedback and constructive criticism but why not just ask directly in a straightforward manner?? people would answer just as honestly as when they are being tricked Confused especially anonymous people online who are being asked for their input...

Because most people would feel too mean being honest if they know for sure they are speaking directly to the author.
That's why I only wrote in generalities in my first posts. But once she obviously was fishing for compliments by specifically putting down another column in the "other" magazine, I felt no such compunction. I thought that was mean and sneaky. So I gave my honest opinion about that specific column. If she hadn't trashed the competition, and just asked, how do they compare in your opinion, I wouldn't have....

Odelyah

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 10:38 pm
Because most people would feel too mean being honest if they know for sure they are speaking directly to the author.
That's why I only wrote in generalities in my first posts. But once she obviously was fishing for compliments by specifically putting down another column in the "other" magazine, I felt no such compunction. I thought that was mean and sneaky. So I gave my honest opinion about that specific column. If she hadn't trashed the competition, and just asked, how do they compare in your opinion, I wouldn't have....

speaking to an author about a specific work is different than speaking to an editor/publisher looking for constructive feedback. I got the impression she was the latter..

if an author specifically requested honest feedback I would give it though (nicely of course, but honestly). because it is helpful to them and they are requesting it. I still think most people would give honest feedback if specifically asked. especially if they're anonymous.

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 10:41 pm
I don't know if she was the author or editor but I thought it was juvenile and mean to trash that piece in the other magazine.
Even if she was deliberately trying to pysche pple out, and she actually works for Mishpacha and was trying to play a weird version of devil's advocate or something, it was sneaky and disrespectful to the posters here.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 10:52 pm
dorothy1 wrote:
It’s funny you say that. I’ve noticed multiple times before YT I cannot find mishpaxha anywhere (pesach I found by a random gas station after trying evergreen, shloimys, aisle 9, seasons ...) , but often there are still stacks of Ami. I have even thought of contacting mishpacha about this.

Ha, ha, that probably proves that Mishpacha is more popular.

Mishpacha is much more professional and edited well . I find spelling and grammatical errors way too often in the Ami. They definitely need better proofreaders. I once contacted them about an unacceptable spelling mistake repeated three times in the same paragraph, and they just ignored my email. Recently, again, they wrote about a "cannonball"- except they spelled it multiple times "canon".

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 11:00 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
Ha, ha, that probably proves that Mishpacha is more popular.

Mishpacha is much more professional and edited well . I find spelling and grammatical errors way too often in the Ami. They definitely need better proofreaders. I once contacted them about an unacceptable spelling mistake repeated three times in the same paragraph, and they just ignored my email. Recently, again, they wrote about a "cannonball"- except they spelled it multiple times "canon".

Dh is in the distribution business (not magazines) so I can tell you that how many left means nothing. It’s all about how many were distributed to begin with. If you deliver 100 and have zero left versus delivering 300 and have forty left...

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 11:02 pm
I don't know if she was the author or editor but I thought it was juvenile and mean to trash that piece in the other magazine.
Even if she was deliberately trying to pysche pple out, and she actually works for Mishpacha and was trying to play a weird version of devil's advocate or something, it was sneaky and disrespectful to the posters here.

Maybe she’s pitching an alternative column and is trying to get that one tossed. The possibilities are endless.

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 11:11 pm
Maybe she’s pitching an alternative column and is trying to get that one tossed. The possibilities are endless.

LOL LOL
OP will ya let us know?
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room