Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
S/o what was the worst meal you received?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 6:28 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'll start. It was semi frozen and cold. Had to warm it up in the microwave until it was edible.
What it was doesn't matter, but ladies the point of sending food over is so mom and kids have ready warm food!

Now I feel bad. I once made someone a meal but I work full time and there was no way to get her the food on time but I wanted it to be fresh. I prepared everything and brought it over the day before and just had a note on it to stick in the oven on 350 for 2 hours.

I hope that was ok.

Java

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 6:32 pm
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
Now I feel bad. I once made someone a meal but I work full time and there was no way to get her the food on time but I wanted it to be fresh. I prepared everything and brought it over the day before and just had a note on it to stick in the oven on 350 for 2 hours.

I hope that was ok.

That's a different situation- its one thing to drop it off the day before and tell her it needs 2 hours in the oven. another thing to drop it off at 6 PM which means she won't be able to feed her kids till 8.
Also I don't understand why everyone's being so nasty to the OP??
Seriously! What was wrong with her question and why can't we just have an interesting discussion? If you would discuss this type of thing with your friends then why can't we discuss it here? Or at the very least even if you don't think it's appropriate you don't have to be nasty about it.

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 6:32 pm

I hope that was ok.

I think so because you gave it the day before. If you brought it over at 6 and said to bake for 2 hrs- I could see it being not so good.

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 6:34 pm
I prep meals in advance and don't accept meals. My mom and MIL insisted that I have to accept from my sibs and DH sibs. I reluctantly accepted. Most were good BUT....
SIL sent 2 pans of very dried out food- one of chicken nuggets and one of rice. In general she cooks really well. I'm not sure what happened that night but the food was totally inedible. My husband who is really not picky couldn't get it down. There was also a soup which was very interesting. Of course I thanked her and complimented MIL on what a nice meal her daughter sent.
When I thanked SIL and asked what kind of soup she sent she chuckled and said it was a mix of 3 different leftover soups from her freezer...
Was really weird and out of character for her

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 6:38 pm

I hope that was ok.

Totally fine IMHO! I have done this a few times for family and friends. I asked in advance if it would be a help and they always accepted. I prepared 2 nights of supper and gave it to them with cooking instructions.

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 6:39 pm
I get home at 5 and can’t cook fresh to bring it on time, so I’m cooking the dinner I promised for tomorrow night tonight, then I’ll go bring it over at 5 and mention it’s cold. They’ll figure it out. It’s either that or bring it over fresh at 7 when that’s night dinner is ready in my house. I’ve also had people drop of the night before or mid day and we reheated.

Blessing1

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 6:42 pm
bananas4bananas wrote:
That's a different situation- its one thing to drop it off the day before and tell her it needs 2 hours in the oven. another thing to drop it off at 6 PM which means she won't be able to feed her kids till 8.
Also I don't understand why everyone's being so nasty to the OP??
Seriously! What was wrong with her question and why can't we just have an interesting discussion? If you would discuss this type of thing with your friends then why can't we discuss it here? Or at the very least even if you don't think it's appropriate you don't have to be nasty about it.

She said she put it in the microwave, what's the big deal??? It takes 2 minutes to heat food in the microwave.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 6:45 pm
The worst meal I received was nothing. A friend’s husband owns a restaurant and she asked if she can send food from there one night and then completely forgot 😬

ra_mom

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 6:46 pm
I've asked ahead of time and then dropped off fresh pans of raw food before work with a note to put them in the oven at 3:00pm at 375 for 1.5 hours.

I've also come before work and set up a crockpot of dinner in their kitchen that is ready at dinnertime.

This is for friends and family that I offered to. I'm not really involved in meal trains. It might be awkward to offer these options to strangers.

Last edited by ra_mom on Tue, Oct 13 2020, 6:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 6:46 pm
This is beyond nasty!!
My family is quite picky and I like to feed my kids before it got too late, so I realized very quickly that meal trains are not for us. I declined the next time, but I would never complain or start a thread (!) about meals someone took the time money and effort to prepare for me purely out of chessed!!!

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 6:50 pm
I had a neighbor forget that she signed up! I never said anything to her.
And then by my next baby again she signed up again and she remembered at 5 so she texted me that she is quickly gonna put up potatoes and shnitzel but will bring it more like 6.30
In general I really appreciate the suppers, it makes such a difference in my recovery after c sections

ExtraCredit

Ok I hope this doesn’t come across as unappreciative. But this was certainly funny. I was signed up for a week of free lunch (I contributed to the train all year as well so no guilt there. Plus I prepped suppers in advance. This was just a lunch treat for the kimperturin only) and a few minutes before my lunch was due to arrive a lady calls me all frantic and hysterical that she completely forgot it’s her day and she’ll be there shortly. I told her it’s really ok, I wont die from eating a grill cheese and just skip it. But she wouldn’t have it. Not long afterwards she arrived all out of breath with 2 lukewarm pizza slices and some drink. Interestingly, this lunch stands out more than any other gepotchketa fancilly wrapped homemade meal.

Last edited by ExtraCredit on Tue, Oct 13 2020, 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

Einikel

amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
The worst meal I received was nothing. A friend’s husband owns a restaurant and she asked if she can send food from there one night and then completely forgot 😬

Sh probably felt terrible when she remembered

ExtraCredit

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 6:51 pm
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
I had a neighbor forget that she signed up! I never said anything to her.
And then by my next baby again she signed up again and she remembered at 5 so she texted me that she is quickly gonna put up potatoes and shnitzel but will bring it more like 6.30
In general I really appreciate the suppers, it makes such a difference in my recovery after c sections

This is funny that we both texted at the same minute about volunteers forgetting Laugh

Blessing1

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 6:54 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
Some weird veggie soup
Meat loaf
Kraut luckshon
String beans
It was the worst cuz my husband and I are picky eaters. It was everything we really dislike
Then came dessert, and ooohhh, looked like a good cake. Sadly it was topped with coconut, which we both hate.

After that I called my mom (who used to be picky herself) we're too picky, I'm not taking meals anymore. To which she replied, I know, I always say, tuna sandwich is best hahaha

Another time, I got dinner 2 hours late, 7 instead of 5, cuz had to be million things. I was pretty upset cuz I was really hungry.

Thanked them both

Anon cuz I said it irl too.

This is a delicious meal! It's not the person's fault that you don't like it. To complain about this meal is extremely ungrateful and really not nice.

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 6:56 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
Some weird veggie soup
Meat loaf
Kraut luckshon
String beans
It was the worst cuz my husband and I are picky eaters. It was everything we really dislike
Then came dessert, and ooohhh, looked like a good cake. Sadly it was topped with coconut, which we both hate.

After that I called my mom (who used to be picky herself) we're too picky, I'm not taking meals anymore. To which she replied, I know, I always say, tuna sandwich is best hahaha

Another time, I got dinner 2 hours late, 7 instead of 5, cuz had to be million things. I was pretty upset cuz I was really hungry.

Thanked them both

Anon cuz I said it irl too.

Why the everliving heck did you bother asking, then?

ExtraCredit

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 6:56 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
This is a delicious meal! It's not the person's fault that you don't like it. To complain about this meal is extremely ungrateful and really not nice.

Last edited by ExtraCredit on Tue, Oct 13 2020, 8:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

ExtraCredit

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 6:57 pm
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
Why the everliving heck did you bother asking, then?

You must mean flying ferrets.

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 6:59 pm
I received many meals (lucky to have a wonderful group of friends and to have given birth quite a few times) and literally can't think of the worst one. Every meal was made with love and simple food really can't be that bad. Once someone made meatballs and rice and gave me instructions for how to warm it but for some reason the rice stayed raw. Meatballs were yummy though so didn't matter that much.

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 7:03 pm
I repeatedly declined a food train but a well meaning friend made one anyway and kept it up after I asked her to take it down. I was mortified to accept as contributing is not my strong point (but I’ve always made sure to return the favor). One person brought about half a dinner. She said she burned a pan and that was all that was left after feeding her family. Awkward is an understatement and I was kind of stuck last minute. I actually had stuff in my freezer but didn’t defrost anything because she was bringing dinner.
Page 2 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics