Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
The death of the two income family
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 11:45 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I have four kids - the oldest one is 7. Not a single one can be left home alone.

NEVER TELL ANYONE IF YOU NEED THE MONEY MAKE IT WORK.

In this crazy time you sometimes choose job or childcare because you literally can't have both
Sorry to come back to this, but this has been bothering me.

There definitely are times when if one needs the money they do have to make it work. I stand by that. Again I am sorry that I hurt your feelings, but sometimes that is really how it has to be.

amother
Green

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 11:46 am
tigerwife wrote:
If they work for the state, I am sure they are being compensated somewhat for being unable to work due to childcare.

What does this have to do with small business owners whose finances are dwindling away due to shutdowns and small children with no other care?

Do you realize the financial impact this is having on millions of Americans? Do you realize people’s life’s work is crumbling, and there aren’t many other options to just “make it work” because I’m managing with Zoom school so everyone else must be a spoiled brat?

I’m anti protests but something needs to be done, not just for frum Jews, but for millions of us lower middle class Americans.

Yes, I do.

Our life is crumbling here in Albany.

Our school is barely able to stay open financially, and compliance with COVID rules etc at shuls and schools is very difficult.

We pay to clean up those protests.

No, state workers aren't getting compensated for not having childcare, and there are a lot of people here who don't work for the state who have just lost their jobs or closed their business.

Do what you want, but the idea that making a mass event, not following the COVID rules, involving having children live in tents with no heat or indoor plumbing, and paying to shlep them all here, presumably without most of their parents, isn't an effective way of making the point that 1. schools shouldn't have been shut because rules were being followed 2. kids are suffering from not having in person school, but we're having them living in tents without parents 3. We can afford to do all this but not implement the requirements in our schools. 4. Using children to do PR for adult issues is not appropriate on many levels.

Consider a day demonstration, following all the SD requirements, etc. in NYC when Cuomo is there. He's there nearly as often as he is in Albany btw. You might get the Catholics, etc. to join with you too.

amother
Green

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 11:50 am
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
NYC had blm riots, a womens rally, gun violence, occupy city hall, fireworks, etc but you have complaints about one Jewish protest and now you are saying that albany is suffering because of Jews? How is that not anti-semitic rhetoric? Do Jews not pay taxes and are therefore not entitled to the same rights as blm? You wouldnt dare say anything if blm decides to do an occupy albany regardless of how much it would cost, people in Albany shouldnt have a problem with Jews doing the same thing. Unless of course they are anti-semitic.

Sure, they shouldn't.

I don't want anyone here having more ammunition to so far, only verbally, attack my friends and their kids telling them to "leave the country".

Albany is not NYC.

Do this in NYC when the governor is there. He's there quite a lot.

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 11:51 am
Op, your dilemma sounds more or less what oot families need to figure out in regards to regular carpooling when school busing is not available or too expensive because it's not subsidized by the gov.
It's hard, but doable. Find other parents to carpool with, then arrange to come in late once a week or so. Or change your hours to fit in with your carpooling schedule. Or, hire a driver (could be paying another mom)/pay a teacher to transport your kids.

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 11:52 am
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
1. Calling him "Herr Cuomo" is totally out of line. Jews aren't being singled out. Enough with the Holocaust comparisons.

2. Actually, this is, historically, how pandemics have been handled, and there is scientific backing for it, even if not all scientists support it.

3. You know how G-d intended us to live in 2020-2021, because what? How do you know what G-d's intentions for life during this pandemic are?

Yes, he is Herr Cuomo and Jews are very much being singled out. You should listen to his anti-semitic rhetoric before you tell us to be quiet about it. We have the right to free speech and my grandparents were holocaust survivors who lost their families in Auschwitz so I will reference the holocaust because that is exactly how this started so dont bother telling me to read a book or watch a video as I know about it first hand.
But at least you admit that the way pandemics are historically handled is by singling out Jews and blaming them dirty Jews for it which is what cuomo is doing. If he would also stop blm riots/protests and womens rallies then you can say otherwise but until he doesnt do that and only shuts down Jews then we can call him Herr cuomo and infer the holocaust.

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 12:02 pm
Yes, he is Herr Cuomo and Jews are very much being singled out. You should listen to his anti-semitic rhetoric before you tell us to be quiet about it. We have the right to free speech and my grandparents were holocaust survivors who lost their families in Auschwitz so I will reference the holocaust because that is exactly how this started so dont bother telling me to read a book or watch a video as I know about it first hand.
But at least you admit that the way pandemics are historically handled is by singling out Jews and blaming them dirty Jews for it which is what cuomo is doing. If he would also stop blm riots/protests and womens rallies then you can say otherwise but until he doesnt do that and only shuts down Jews then we can call him Herr cuomo and infer the holocaust.

Way to warp my words and literally claim I said things I didn't say.

Lockdowns are, historically, how pandemics were handled. It was understood that there was no other way to stop the spread and prevent deaths, and there was no choice other than to stay home and lock down.

No one likes it but that's what is. And science does support it - not all scientists agree but that's to be expected, and it doesn't mean it's not science-based. Not locking down also isn't completely science-based, it's more political and based in what the economy can handle.

Sorry you don't like it, but that doesn't give you permission to twist what I said.

Anti-Semitism has no scientific basis, btw, so I don't know how you could have misread my post.

PS just because someone spouts anti-Semitic rhetoric, doesn't mean that lockdowns are anti-Semitic. Non-Jews are also being locked down, you know...

elisheva25

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 12:08 pm
amother [ Green ] wrote:
FYI 3/4 of the kids in the City of Albany public schools are distance learning.

53% by choice, and the remainder due to budget cuts.

All 7th-12th graders are full distance learning--there is no in person, and definitely won't be before February 2021.

I don't think going to Albany will elicit a lot of sympathy.

Key here 53% by
choice , frum parents in yeshivos didn’t make that choice .... they were handed it
Not to menthion the fact that we have to pay tuition

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 12:09 pm
Way to warp my words and literally claim I said things I didn't say.

Lockdowns are, historically, how pandemics were handled. It was understood that there was no other way to stop the spread and prevent deaths, and there was no choice other than to stay home and lock down.

No one likes it but that's what is. And science does support it - not all scientists agree but that's to be expected, and it doesn't mean it's not science-based. Not locking down also isn't completely science-based, it's more political and based in what the economy can handle.

Sorry you don't like it, but that doesn't give you permission to twist what I said.

Anti-Semitism has no scientific basis, btw, so I don't know how you could have misread my post.

PS just because someone spouts anti-Semitic rhetoric, doesn't mean that lockdowns are anti-Semitic. Non-Jews are also being locked down, you know...

Herr cuomo has made it very clear that its a Jewish problem and that non-Jews are being punished because of the dirty Jews. Herr cuomo made it clear that this lockdown is based on fear and not science so anything you say about science is not relevant since he is not going by that. And the police are profiling Jews and ticketing them while ignoring non-Jews. The public school yard was open yesterday in a non-jewish area of the red zone and tons of non-Jewish kids were playing there without masks or socially distancing but somehow you have a problem with Jewish kids going to school or having a protest? We dont even send our kids to public school yet we pay taxes for other people to send their kids to school, perhaps its time for us to stop paying taxes so that the non-Jews should know that they cant just spout anti-semitic rhetoric and still expect to send their kids to school on our backs. No taxation without representation applies to Jews as well and its time for Jews to stand up for our rights even if it makes the haters among us uncomfortable.

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 12:12 pm
elisheva25 wrote:
Key here 53% by
choice , frum parents in yeshivos didn’t make that choice .... they were handed it
Not to menthion the fact that we have to pay tuition

Key here is that a majority of the population does not want rampant community spread and are choosing to make a huge sacrifice because they want their families to stay healthy.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 12:16 pm
Herr cuomo has made it very clear that its a Jewish problem and that non-Jews are being punished because of the dirty Jews. Herr cuomo made it clear that this lockdown is based on fear and not science so anything you say about science is not relevant since he is not going by that. And the police are profiling Jews and ticketing them while ignoring non-Jews. The public school yard was open yesterday in a non-jewish area of the red zone and tons of non-Jewish kids were playing there without masks or socially distancing but somehow you have a problem with Jewish kids going to school or having a protest? We dont even send our kids to public school yet we pay taxes for other people to send their kids to school, perhaps its time for us to stop paying taxes so that the non-Jews should know that they cant just spout anti-semitic rhetoric and still expect to send their kids to school on our backs. No taxation without representation applies to Jews as well and its time for Jews to stand up for our rights even if it makes the haters among us uncomfortable.

Can you please provide a list of all public and non-Jewish schools in the red zone that are open today? Since you claim that Jewish schools alone are being targeted.

Provide the names of all playgrounds in the red zone that primarily serve Jewish kids that were closed, since you complain that non_jews were allowed to play in a playground.

Provide proof that police are permitting non_jewish non-essential businesses in the red zone to remain open, permit churches and mosques to operate, and don't require masks in supermarkets and other essential businesses.

Also quote Cuomo stating that the lockdown is based on fear, not science. Or at least quote what he said that made you draw that conclusion.

Finally, can you explain exactly how you have been denied the right to vote. That's what taxation without representation means.

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 12:39 pm
It's really hard op. Today is the first time since camp ended that I didn't have a child with me for TWO HOURS at work. It's. Insane. Dh wants me to quit yesterday but I don't want to even if it's hard. I haven't come on time in forever I can once in a while stay later but not usually. It's super hard. I work for family and I am trying to make it work but honestly it's really not sustainable.
My kids can't stay home alone either because they are too little and one already and no school for two weeks due to exposure. It's horrible.

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 12:40 pm
Quote:
Key here is that a majority of the population does not want rampant community spread and are choosing to make a huge sacrifice because they want their families to stay healthy.

This is ridiculous.
Schools are open all over the country for weeks already - both public and private - and there has been no "rampant" spread.
Stop the hysterics

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 12:43 pm
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
Quote:

This is ridiculous.
Schools are open all over the country for weeks already - both public and private - and there has been no "rampant" spread.
Stop the hysterics

Check put the NYT article from yesterday, which detailed how quickly things spread in the schools in Salt Lake City that were determined to open as normal this school year.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 12:51 pm
[quote="amother [ Chartreuse ]"]It's hard, no doubt. But sorry, OP, you asked how you can work if kids don't have school, implying they're learning remotely and home all day. Doesn't sound like the case. Yes, you're a bit late in the morning, need to leave an hour earlier, and one kid comes to your office (many parents don't have that option) half way through.
You're still putting in the majority of daily hours. The state of your mind is another issue and, as I said, it's not easy. It's still better to have the job than having to quit it to stay home with distant learning, isn't it?
I do agree with whoever said that if one needs the money, they make it work. No one said it'll be easy.[

My 7 year old is fully remote and I arranged a round robin with a few of her classmates. I will have to take off once a week to watch the zoom round robin but at least I can work the rest. My 6 year old has basement school in the morning and then I go get him and he zooms from my office in the afternoon. Between coming late, leaving early, leaving in the middle of the day to get a kid and having a kid zoom in my office half the day I am maybe able to put in half a days work...

I do my best to make it work...but its not working. My mountain of work to do at work is really scary..

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 12:52 pm
Quote:
Check put the NYT article from yesterday, which detailed how quickly things spread in the schools in Salt Lake City that were determined to open as normal this school year.

Did you read the article? I did. The schools didn't follow safety protocols and they didn't close down when they were advised to. And even when things got "out of control" the school had a 3% positivity rate. This article is classic fear mongering from the media. They found a school that did things wrong to try and highlight what a bad idea it is to open schools. What about the thousands of other schools all over the country that did things right? They're not reporting about those are they?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 12:55 pm
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:

Also quote Cuomo stating that the lockdown is based on fear, not science. Or at least quote what he said that made you draw that conclusion.

https://5townscentral.com/2020.....call/

Cuomo clearly says that this is all based on fear and not science.

amother
Green

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 12:57 pm
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
Quote:

Did you read the article? I did. The schools didn't follow safety protocols and they didn't close down when they were advised to. And even when things got "out of control" the school had a 3% positivity rate. This article is classic fear mongering from the media. They found a school that did things wrong to try and highlight what a bad idea it is to open schools. What about the thousands of other schools all over the country that did things right? They're not reporting about those are they?

for a lot of the schools, "doing things right" means not having full class sizes, either by some students going to full distance learning OR some days virtual/some days in person, to keep headcount down and enable SD. Also, schools doing it right are having to send home entire classes or close down entire schools for quarantining or even just 1-2 days to wait on test results and do contact tracing and consult with DOH to ensure the right folks are quarantined.

This is happening in a lot of schools, and it's not making headlines because that's just how things are getting "done right" and everyone is living with the uncertainty.

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 1:21 pm
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
Quote:

Did you think I recommended an article that I didn't read. You are being quite rude, and you certainly aren't giving anyone a reason to listen to your argument and get convinced by them
Anyone who is rude to such a degree during a debate will automatically lose their audience, just saying. (I think you are being rude because you know how weak your argument is. That's always the tell )

Yes, I read it. No they didn't follow all the recommendations, just like we have been reading on imamother for several weeks how the frum schools in the closed zones have been disregarding them as well with refusal to test, regular class sizes, no mask enforcement etc. Sounds pretty similar, doesn't it.

gold21

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 1:51 pm

Well, then, they sound like lovely people. So self sacrificing, so covid conscious. Also, they apparently verbally assault jewish people and tell jewish kids to leave the country. But, no worries. They are besties with the DOH, and are therefore clearly wonderful specimens of the human race.

gold21

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 1:56 pm
OP, your concerns and complaints are 100 percent legitimate. Apparently, even virtuous people, who are so virtuous that they social-distance better than anyone else does, nanananananana, and wear masks even to sleep and when they shower, can have a not-so-kind streak, where they judge others for expressing very legitimate very normal very human frustrations.

Hugs.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics