Home

Old Lakewood memories...
  Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




Blonde
 

Post  Wed, Oct 21 2020, 7:12 am
[quote="amother [ Oak ]"]And she was my first grade teacher![/quote
She was my teacher too Hi
We must have been classmates 😃
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post  Wed, Oct 21 2020, 9:48 am
amother [ Orange ] wrote:
Mrs. Miller!! I loved the woman. She was full of positive energy!
Miss Greenbaum is now Mrs. Rockove, another early Lakewood family.


Mrs. Miller is still there, mother of Menashe Miller.
Yup, BF is timeless, same principals, teachers and secretaries for years!
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post  Wed, Oct 21 2020, 9:50 am
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
I was a kid in the 90s. I remember carrot sticks in wax paper bags for lunch. Was that a thing? I have few memories from those days lol but most of them seem to center around lunch.

Salami with bits of fat in it, tuna sandwich, in later years they started serving pizza every few weeks. Maybe for Rosh Chodesh?


Oh yes, I remember that lunch schedule in my sleep! Whenever my kids complain about school lunches, I always rattle off to them the menu! Thursday was such a treat to get orange juice with the salami sandwiches. I can still smell them as I type!
Pizza was reserved only for siyumim, one slice per student and how we savored it! We were quite unspoiled (although our parents and grandparents felt otherwise of course so it's all relative...).
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post  Wed, Oct 21 2020, 9:51 am
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
And she was my first grade teacher!


before my times..
I recently met my 1st grade English teacher, from a lifetime ago! But certain lessons remain so vivid, what's 30+ years? Smile
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post  Wed, Oct 21 2020, 9:52 am
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
Anyone else used to rent a “monitor” from Zeilingold to watch home videos?


Sounds familiar! Yes, now I remember! Whoa!
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post  Wed, Oct 21 2020, 9:54 am
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
Bais yaakov was in the old legion building by bmg.
Cheder Primary and first grade Boys also learned in basements


yes, I remember that old yellow building, where we learnt for 1st and 2nd grades. Earlier was for 8th grade. Whoa, long since gone but the memories live on...
There were actually some families who lived upstairs and I remember who they were...
I also remember the legion building for the Cheder, currently offices of BMG.
Back to top

amother




Oak
 

Post  Wed, Oct 21 2020, 2:35 pm
I loved salami tuesdays.
And my husband knows all about tuna fish Mondays - I still mention every so often!
Pizza days were the best.
I thought of mrs Miller when my son lost his tooth.

Do they still translate to Yiddish? Thinking of sending my daughter there but Yiddish might be a deal breaker for me.
Back to top

amother




Khaki
 

Post  Wed, Oct 21 2020, 3:25 pm
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
I loved salami tuesdays.
And my husband knows all about tuna fish Mondays - I still mention every so often!
Pizza days were the best.
I thought of mrs Miller when my son lost his tooth.

Do they still translate to Yiddish? Thinking of sending my daughter there but Yiddish might be a deal breaker for me.

I think the younger grades still do. Definitely a deal breaker for me as I hated it.

(Salami was on Thursday btw Wink)
Back to top

amother




Aquamarine
 

Post  Wed, Oct 21 2020, 3:38 pm
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
I loved salami tuesdays.
And my husband knows all about tuna fish Mondays - I still mention every so often!
Pizza days were the best.
I thought of mrs Miller when my son lost his tooth.

Do they still translate to Yiddish? Thinking of sending my daughter there but Yiddish might be a deal breaker for me.


It’s until 5th grade the Yiddish but they don’t make a big deal about it
Back to top

amother




Lavender
 

Post  Fri, Oct 23 2020, 12:53 am
Who remembers:
Tiv Tov Judaica
Wolkoff's Shoe Store
Lakewood Fruit
Mr. Pantierer's Produce Truck
Food Town
Pantry Pride
Drug Fair
Maegreen's
when Ocean County Park was called Rockefeller Park
when the hospital was called Paul Kimball Hospital
Back to top

amother




Peach
 

Post  Fri, Oct 23 2020, 1:28 am
Castle apartments - I remember thinking it was a real Castle a a little kid!

I was born in the '90's so I'm a bit later but just went back to visit LKWD and was in total shock! Different world....

What year did Ahavas Torah become Bnos Yaakov?
Back to top

amother




Rose
 

Post  Fri, Oct 23 2020, 2:07 am
Bnos yaakov...probably 1997. Girls switched into bais faiga that year. I was in sixth grade I think.


Who remembers bnos, nosh given by the head leaders in the dark
(I once kicked my shabbos show over the fence and it landed in the hermits yard...2 brave girls ran to get it for me!!)
Cheder pool and that alley right there
Bagel nosh of old
Satmar lunches in day camp
That park right near Allaire airport
When coop became npgs. It was such a weird name!
Seeing all the horse farms on the way to ny
4 elementary schools, not including the day school
Dr shanks office in toms river
Rockshire transit
Ahavas torah Sunday clubs
Then bais faiga Sunday clubs
Anisfeld jewelry on princeton

Who was that mean fat bus driver with curly blond hair? She yelled at us so loud we had a song about her.

So many memories...!
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post  Fri, Oct 23 2020, 9:49 am
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
Who remembers:
Tiv Tov Judaica
Wolkoff's Shoe Store
Lakewood Fruit
Mr. Pantierer's Produce Truck
Food Town
Pantry Pride
Drug Fair
Maegreen's
when Ocean County Park was called Rockefeller Park
when the hospital was called Paul Kimball Hospital


I still call it Rockefeller Park!
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post  Fri, Oct 23 2020, 9:50 am
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
Bnos yaakov...probably 1997. Girls switched into bais faiga that year. I was in sixth grade I think.


Who remembers bnos, nosh given by the head leaders in the dark
(I once kicked my shabbos show over the fence and it landed in the hermits yard...2 brave girls ran to get it for me!!)
Cheder pool and that alley right there
Bagel nosh of old
Satmar lunches in day camp
That park right near Allaire airport
When coop became npgs. It was such a weird name!
Seeing all the horse farms on the way to ny
4 elementary schools, not including the day school
Dr shanks office in toms river
Rockshire transit
Ahavas torah Sunday clubs
Then bais faiga Sunday clubs
Anisfeld jewelry on princeton

Who was that mean fat bus driver with curly blond hair? She yelled at us so loud we had a song about her.

So many memories...!


Oh yes! I learnt Casio (which I still have), calligraphy, dance, baking you name it! Then we made a performance mid-way in the Capitol Hotel and were so proud!
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post  Fri, Oct 23 2020, 9:52 am
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
Bnos yaakov...probably 1997. Girls switched into bais faiga that year. I was in sixth grade I think.


Who remembers bnos, nosh given by the head leaders in the dark
(I once kicked my shabbos show over the fence and it landed in the hermits yard...2 brave girls ran to get it for me!!)
Cheder pool and that alley right there
Bagel nosh of old
Satmar lunches in day camp
That park right near Allaire airport
When coop became npgs. It was such a weird name!
Seeing all the horse farms on the way to ny
4 elementary schools, not including the day school
Dr shanks office in toms river
Rockshire transit
Ahavas torah Sunday clubs
Then bais faiga Sunday clubs
Anisfeld jewelry on princeton

Who was that mean fat bus driver with curly blond hair? She yelled at us so loud we had a song about her.

So many memories...!


Yes,I remember the cheder pool! whoa!
Dr. Shanik office in Toms River! Sure! When I was little and had strep and had to travel ALL THE WAY to Toms River, was so far!

Now, who remembers station wagons par for the course? I remember sitting in the back squishing with other kids... I can still feel the nausea and remember the smell of those stuffy hot leather back seats...
My kids still ask me to point one out as it's become a historic relic, similar to horse and buggies...
Back to top

amother




Khaki
 

Post  Fri, Oct 23 2020, 9:54 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Oh yes! I learnt Casio (which I still have), calligraphy, dance, baking you name it! Then we made a performance mid-way in the Capitol Hotel and were so proud!

I was the main part in drama and we never ended up putting on the play Sad
Back to top

amother




Khaki
 

Post  Fri, Oct 23 2020, 9:54 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yes,I remember the cheder pool! whoa!
Dr. Shanik office in Toms River! Sure! When I was little and had strep and had to travel ALL THE WAY to Toms River, was so far!

Now, who remembers station wagons par for the course? I remember sitting in the back squishing with other kids... I can still feel the nausea and remember the smell of those stuffy hot leather back seats...
My kids still ask me to point one out as it's become a historic relic, similar to horse and buggies...

Anyone remember the indoor pool at the Y?
Back to top
  Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Recent Topics

Page 7 of 7 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Anyone used Effy for Kallah's hair in Lakewood?
by amother
1 Yesterday at 11:06 pm View last post
Migdal Seminary - Lakewood
by amother
0 Yesterday at 7:36 pm View last post
Karfiol gowns lakewood
by amother
8 Yesterday at 7:19 pm View last post
S/O camp memories
by lilies
317 Tue, Nov 24 2020, 2:25 pm View last post
Custom boys suits-Lakewood
by amother
0 Tue, Nov 24 2020, 1:19 pm View last post