Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Old Lakewood memories...
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 1:18 pm
Scotty wrote:
Who remembers Wexelbaums (Wechselbaum's)? The general store that preceded Center of Town on second street...? That's the 80s

hearing gunshots on 2nd street!

the public library on 2nd street (where the clinic is now) the librarians would shush you

Bais Faiga daycamp! (I remember the hanochas even hapina of the building - I was tiny - I got a slice of turkey from the smorg)

WHO REMEMBERS AHAVATH TORAH (a million hearts here) and their day camp in the old historic buildings in Pine Park?????

edit: the camp song!!! OH AHAVATH TORAH, YOU'RE MORE THAN A SCHOOL, YOU'RE MORE THAN A PLACE FOR THE WORK AND THE RULE....

Who remembers Eisenmann's daycamp?????? with apple juice ices and popcorn at parsha time

I remember going to stare at Squankum.... we had never seen town homes before

I grew up with one religious friend off 14th street (if we went on the wrong bus we never got home because no one knew where we lived!) still remember them digging the foundations for Zichron Schneur

Who remembers the cherry tree that used to stand where the Israel Henry Beren Hall is now

singing, "you're not allowed to sing on the block of yeshiva" while on the bus down 7th street :-)

The old Irv!! Davening yamim noraim in the Avreichem and laughing over the boys' classrooms

the Castle apartments!!!! Remember those?

Wow this is a walk down memory lane

YES Dr. Hirsch a"h at Dr. Wolf Lemantia and Hirsch on East Kennedy!! He used to wear the funny ties to make us laugh and was our favorite doctor...

YES Mrs. Weiner's carpool! I loved that car!! We had the honor of living near her a couple years ago and I would feel so happy every time I saw her, overwhelmed with happy memories of being in her car!!! she would always laugh off my compliments but I would be suffused with joy and warmth just seeing her!

Do I know you. I went to Ahavas Torah, and all times was in Mrs. Weiner's carpool. We davened in Avreichem and every time I pass the clinic on 2nd Street, I think of the old library.
But I must be a few years younger, becauseol I don't remember Wexelbaums and I had a number of classmates living down 14th Street.

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 1:19 pm
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
Weinsteins prize store

Wieinbrand

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 1:20 pm
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
Childrens Corner.
Fish store in a basement (I can't remember what it was called)
Gelbsteins opened a pizza shop
Caldors
Before Shanik moved to Lakewood we used to travel to Dr Sasson in Long Branch for every sick visit

Do you remember the huge chalk board at dry Sasson. BTW, my kids go to Dr Sasson now.

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 1:20 pm
Scotty wrote:
Who remembers Wexelbaums (Wechselbaum's)? The general store that preceded Center of Town on second street...? That's the 80s

hearing gunshots on 2nd street!

the public library on 2nd street (where the clinic is now) the librarians would shush you

Bais Faiga daycamp! (I remember the hanochas even hapina of the building - I was tiny - I got a slice of turkey from the smorg)

WHO REMEMBERS AHAVATH TORAH (a million hearts here) and their day camp in the old historic buildings in Pine Park?????

edit: the camp song!!! OH AHAVATH TORAH, YOU'RE MORE THAN A SCHOOL, YOU'RE MORE THAN A PLACE FOR THE WORK AND THE RULE....

Who remembers Eisenmann's daycamp?????? with apple juice ices and popcorn at parsha time

I remember going to stare at Squankum.... we had never seen town homes before

I grew up with one religious friend off 14th street (if we went on the wrong bus we never got home because no one knew where we lived!) still remember them digging the foundations for Zichron Schneur

Who remembers the cherry tree that used to stand where the Israel Henry Beren Hall is now

singing, "you're not allowed to sing on the block of yeshiva" while on the bus down 7th street :-)

The old Irv!! Davening yamim noraim in the Avreichem and laughing over the boys' classrooms

the Castle apartments!!!! Remember those?

Wow this is a walk down memory lane

YES Dr. Hirsch a"h at Dr. Wolf Lemantia and Hirsch on East Kennedy!! He used to wear the funny ties to make us laugh and was our favorite doctor...

YES Mrs. Weiner's carpool! I loved that car!! We had the honor of living near her a couple years ago and I would feel so happy every time I saw her, overwhelmed with happy memories of being in her car!!! she would always laugh off my compliments but I would be suffused with joy and warmth just seeing her!

Yes the castle apartments! Wow, forgot about those! We davened in alumni, right downstairs from avreichim.

Dr. Hirsch a”h wore those tied till the end...he was my kids pediatrician and we miss him terribly.

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 1:21 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
Wieinbrand

Yup! I stand corrected.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 1:22 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
Was Evelyn a he or a she 😂

OMG! Yes!!! She had a tons of earrings and and was so friendly to all of us! She got fired when nebach ran over that teimani child Dahari A'H.

amother
Khaki

amother [ Orange ] wrote:
Yes the castle apartments! Wow, forgot about those! We davened in alumni, right downstairs from avreichim.

Dr. Hirsch a”h wore those tied till the end...he was my kids pediatrician and we miss him terribly.

He also gave out the sugar free lollies until the end.. I remember them from when I was his patient!

amother
OP

amother [ Olive ] wrote:
Wieinbrand

Wainbrand

Yes, they actually still have the store! same house, same room! Whoa, memories...

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 1:23 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
OMG! Yes!!! She had a tons of earrings and and was so friendly to all of us! She got fired when nebach ran over that teimani child Dahari A'H.

That was a terrible day for Lakewood.. another person was also killed in a car accident the same day.

amother
OP

Oh yes, the castle apts! Now replaced by huge fancy duplexes, like the rest of Lakewood!

amother
Khaki

amother [ OP ] wrote:
Wainbrand

Yes, they actually still have the store! same house, same room! Whoa, memories...

I never went to the store, but I used to buy from them at the Cheder mall Very Happy

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 1:24 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Oh yes, the castle apts! Now replaced by huge fancy duplexes, like the rest of Lakewood!

My mother used to get so sad every time another old building or house was knocked down.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 1:24 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
That was a terrible day for Lakewood.. another person was also killed in a car accident the same day.

Yes, it truly was. Poor Dahari family. Literally dropped off here straight from Yemen and having to start from scratch only to lose a child... Crying

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 1:25 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:

Was it Tzadok Herber?

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 1:25 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Was it Tzadok Herber?

Yes

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 1:26 pm
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
Hmm... no wonder why my daughter is complaining about the cracks in the walls with bugs crawling out!

Yup, the original BF building is 30 years old. The other buildings are much newer...

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 1:27 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
Yes

I was just remembering him the other day and actually googled his info. His wife owned a shoe store in "town" (I think around where Clover is now) and I actually went to the store 1-2 days before he was niftar and I picture him standing there so serenely. He looked like such a fine aidel person! What a sad loss!

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 1:28 pm
I did not move there until the late '90s. The part I miss the most is that the town was a walk able town. You did not necessary have to own a car and could walk to pretty much every were.

In Those days we were told not to buy on Princeton and 14th because Jewish Lakewood was not moving in that direction.
Regent was not on the map it was in the boon docks

If you wanted to buy a nude color stockings you had to ask the lady behind the counter because they did not put it on the shelf

malki2

Omg Evelyn! She was so strange! Who remembers the drop stop lady?

OMG I remember her! She was a panic!

amother
OP

amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
I never went to the store, but I used to buy from them at the Cheder mall Very Happy

Oh those cheder malls in the cheder dining room! Actually almost all occasions happened in either cheder dining room or Capitol Hotel! Such as school melava malka's, chanukah chagiga's etc.
The Capitol Hotel! What an old Lakewood icon, now replaced by the fancy Prime Apts.
Page 3 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics