Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Want to get out of Brooklyn, where to go?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 7:53 pm
Maryann wrote:
Where is new city?

Right off exit 11 on the Palisades parkway. It's near monsey.

blueberry6

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 7:54 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So there isn't constant traffic of cars and people all over the place?

The school situation isn't a total epic disaster?

I can use Internet and not feel like we are looked down upon?

I don't want to live under rules and feeling like we are being preached to. It's really not like that there?

Look, I don't really know. I only lived in Lakewood for a short while and I don't have any kids in school yet. I know that some people have issues with the school situation as well as with various types of attitudes, for lack of a better word (sorry, don't mean to offend anyone here...) But from what I've seen, it's MORE of a thing in central Lakewood. I don't really know what goes on in Jackson and toms River vs Lakewood, but I do know that most of the people I know who have moved to Jackson and toms River lately are very much NOT the Lakewood type.
That's really all I can tell you....

LiLIsraeli

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 7:57 pm
Passaic/Clifton sounds perfect for you. Baltimore, too, if you can make it work with DH's job.

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 7:59 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
Can I ask which area of Lakewood? I would describe myself similar to the OP but have been hearing that Lakewood is getting similar to Brooklyn in the aspects she's describing

Not in actual lakewood that would drive me crazy, one of the new neighborhoods, don't want to post my whole life story

studying_torah

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 7:59 pm
What about Passaic

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 8:00 pm
New City and Chestnut Ridge are great, but don't close on a house until your kids are accepted in schools. Its not just an issue for the chassidushe crowd in the greater monsey area.

I'd recommend you choose a neighborhood after you look into the schools.

amother
Red

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 8:08 pm
Have you considered Staten Island? Kids can stay in their Brooklyn schools. Most houses are 3 bedrooms but have tenants apartments that can be added to your space if necessary. Quiet nice neighborhood, yet 25 minutes to brooklyn.

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 8:09 pm
I'd go to a neighborhood on the outskirts of Monsey. Maybe Pomona or Suffern. I don't know enough about New City or Haverstraw to suggest them but maybe.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 8:40 pm
I think Wesley Hills or Pomona might be suitable for you.

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 8:48 pm
Another vote for Passaic. Sounds perfect for you

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 8:49 pm
[quote="amother [ Red ]"]Have you considered Staten Island? Kids can stay in their Brooklyn schools. Most houses are 3 bedrooms but have tenants apartments that can be added to your space if necessary. Quiet nice neighborhood, yet 25 minutes to brooklyn

I thought mostly chassidish/Heimish have moved there recently is there a Yeshivish community there that I don’t know about?

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 8:50 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So there isn't constant traffic of cars and people all over the place?

The school situation isn't a total epic disaster?

I can use Internet and not feel like we are looked down upon?

I don't want to live under rules and feeling like we are being preached to. It's really not like that there?

I’ve lived here all my life, so I’m happy and comfortable here, but I doubt you’ll like it coming from somewhere else. The school situation is a total epic disaster. We ended up in a school that is much more to the left, and the positive is that we can be completely ourselves and never have to worry about faking it for the school. But honestly my daughter is exposed to many things that I’m not thrilled about. I’m not sure how much better it is in other schools though because to be honest, one of her best friends in the neighborhood goes to a pretty yeshivish school and gives my daughter quite the education. The way I look at it is unless you’re very yeshivish, you can either go to a middle of the road school and always worry about not looking tznius enough or go to a school that is more to the left and your kids will be exposed to everything. I’m unclear from your post if your husband only wears white shirts, but if he does not then you will not be accepted to most middle of the road schools. So yea, I don’t think you need to deal with all this.

saralem

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 9:00 pm
Northeast philly. Very cheap housing, sounds like you might like it. Definitely OOT.

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 9:17 pm
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
I think Wesley Hills or Pomona might be suitable for you.

Wesley is becoming more chassidish, and while I think they are a wonderful bunch, if that's not what OP is looking for, make sure to keep an open eye on specific neighborhoods in Wesley.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 9:23 pm
I would stay far away from monsey and Lakewood if I were you.
I suggest passaic, Clifton, Edison and Baltimore if you could make it work job wise.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 9:46 pm
Actually think u would like the five towns area. Inwood, north woodmere, parts of Cedarhurst, woodmere, maybe bayswater?... lots of chilled nice pple here. Yes also an element of more materialistic types, but if that’s not ur crowd then that not who u associate with. In general things are just more relaxed here, less pressure than the perfectionism of Lakewood area. Also great schools and choice!

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 9:49 pm
Another vote for Passaic! Have family there, you sound like you'd get along with them!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 3:31 am
Ty all!

I have a vision of houses in Passaic being quite old and in very poor condition...most needing gut jobs. Am I wrong? The idea of paying 2 mortgages for an extended amount of time is not something that interests me..

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 3:33 am
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
I would stay far away from monsey and Lakewood if I were you.
I suggest passaic, Clifton, Edison and Baltimore if you could make it work job wise.

Ty, the above confirms what I've thought.
Baltimore is way too far.
I know zero about Edison, don't know one person who lives there!

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 3:51 am
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
Wesley is becoming more chassidish, and while I think they are a wonderful bunch, if that's not what OP is looking for, make sure to keep an open eye on specific neighborhoods in Wesley.

Really? LOL
Where lol
I live here and have no idea what you mean. Are you getting mixed up with Pomona?
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating