Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Chassidishe boys
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

Stars

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 12:04 am
Are you a chassidish bt or geyores? Otherwise yeah this thread is weird.

Basically you need to make four stops:
-Hat store
-Men’s clothing store (I don’t know where you live but where I do there’s about three options)
-Dry goods store
-Men’s shoe store

Walk up to the counter and say you’re shopping for a bar mitzvah boy. They will ask you some questions and give you the appropriate stuff.

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 12:07 am
This thread is weird. Why will no one give her a straight answer.

cbsp

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 12:09 am
Maybe OP's playing the role of mommy and Totty (for whatever reason as the Totty is unable to at the moment) and this is her oldest son?

Mazal Tov OP!

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 12:11 am
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
This thread is weird. Why will no one give her a straight answer.

THIS.

Stars

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 12:13 am
cbsp wrote:
Maybe OP's playing the role of mommy and Totty (for whatever reason as the Totty is unable to at the moment) and this is her oldest son?

Mazal Tov OP!

Even if this is true her son is a teen or almost one and should be able to tell her what he needs and where everyone gets it. It’s the only thing these boys seem to talk about for the whole year before the first boy in the class even has his bar mitzvah.

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 12:22 am
I'm a single mom and would have had to ask this question. I recently made bar mitzvah but I have older married sons too and they helped me.

OP, Some dry good stores have free bar mitzvah boy shopping lists that miss nothing. I ended up working with that.

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 1:08 am
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
THIS.

I think the chassidish women don’t want the rest of us to know the secrets Hiding

PeanutMama

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 1:41 am
OP, maybe ask in the chasidish velt

There you will get more answers.

I don’t know why people here are being so suspicious. Maybe it’s a first born son and father is out of the picture.
Just tell her what she needs.

Mazal tov and hatzlocha!!

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 2:12 am
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
I'm a single mom and would have had to ask this question. I recently made bar mitzvah but I have older married sons too and they helped me.

OP, Some dry good stores have free bar mitzvah boy shopping lists that miss nothing. I ended up working with that.

I'm single. My parents have never made bar mitzva yet. I wouldn't have whom to ask.

I would not rely on my son's friends' secondhand information when buying his wardrobe, because kids Can't Believe It . Store owners might be trying to sell me more than he actually needs.

Why the suspicion? Sad

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 2:38 am
Op, I’m sorry for the bashes you’re getting here. I haven’t made bar mitzva yet, but I’d imagine this-
For Shabbos a bekishe, (depends which chassidis U belong to), tish bekishe, hat, shoes, plastic to protect the hat from rain.
Weekday, white shirts, underwear, suits, shoes, socks, Tzitzis, belts, weekday hat. I may have left something out, but good luck with everything
ETA weekday gartel and Shabbos gartel

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 2:40 am
Shabbos & weekday hat/hat brush/hat plastic covers
Chassidish trench coat/wool coat/ raincoat
Underwear whatever he will wear, sleevless or short sleeved crew neck or v neck. Underpants, chassidish long or short/boxers/or not chassidish just reg whatever he will wear, but if all his friends wear longer then he might be embarrassed at
Mikva.
Chassidish shirts right over left- plain white/or textured designed for fancier boy, for shabbos
Talis kutton cotton or wool. Also for sleep. There are different types square or vneck hole, black stripes basic. White stripes. Straight or fringe bottom. Diff tying of strings.
There's mesh for summer not to sweat.
Yarmulka black velvet, white for sleep.
Gartel. For shabbos/vochen/thin one for mincha. Different styles reg knit or perl knit that rolls up. Different widths.
Scarf/ gloves/ (boots? Galoshes? )
Shoes shabbos/every day/crocks
Suit vochen/shabbos or bekitche reg satin/ designed tish bekishe. / chalat for yeshiva if they use or yeshiva washable suit.
Eyeglases if they have rules what to wear
Watch hand or pocket watch
Washable pants.
Tefillin/and pouch

Really a man should shop with him so ge knows what's what & ask your son.
Every chassidus & family has their own minhag + whatever setting he is in.
Good luck!

salt

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 2:47 am
Non chassidish boys and men also wear tefillin and they just roll their sleeves up at davening as far as I know. And if they wear a jacket they take it off one arm.

Is it really a thing to get wide sleeves to fit the tefillin underneath?

dankbar

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 2:48 am
salt wrote:
Non chassidish boys and men also wear tefillin and they just roll their sleeves up at davening as far as I know. And if they wear a jacket they take it off one arm.

Right my hub & son roll up sleeve

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 2:51 am
Underpants come in cotton, poly or jersey knit

rim

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 3:03 am
Brachsoni shirts come wide sleeves for tefillin. I was glad someone mentioned it to me and they wash well and don’t need ironing. You can request right over left of left over right buttons

DrMom

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 3:29 am
rim wrote:
Brachsoni shirts come wide sleeves for tefillin. I was glad someone mentioned it to me and they wash well and don’t need ironing. You can request right over left of left over right buttons

Can someone remind me why it is important to have the placket button in the direction opposite that of standard men's shirts?

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 4:39 am
DrMom wrote:
Can someone remind me why it is important to have the placket button in the direction opposite that of standard men's shirts?

It's based on Kabbalah, that the right (chesed) should be over the left (gevurah). Many will have double-breasted suits for this reason, or DH will button the suit backwards when davening to have the right over the left. (We don't do it for shirts)

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 5:52 am
salt wrote:

Us too (chabad). Just roll up the sleeves, one arm out of the jacket. Jacket buttoned outside in to be right over left.

Is cotton tzitzis really ok past bar mitzva? I thought only wool.

morningsickness

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 5:58 am
I just learned something new: men can wear nightgowns..

can someone explain this to me? What type of nightgown? and why?

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 6:06 am
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
I think the chassidish women don’t want the rest of us to know the secrets Hiding

Totally 😂

Can’t imagine what the chassidish forum actually looks like.

Btw I’m not chassidish (obviously) and I found preparing for my son’s bar mitzva very overwhelming. Any lists from others were super helpful.
Page 2 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics