Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Chassidishe boys
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 3:07 am
salt wrote:
Non chassidish boys and men also wear tefillin and they just roll their sleeves up at davening as far as I know. And if they wear a jacket they take it off one arm.

Is it really a thing to get wide sleeves to fit the tefillin underneath?

Yeah! who knew? They pull down the shirt over the tefilin. I know my husband doesn’t but under his talis it’s not so visible.

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 3:09 am
[quote="dino"]
Quote:

Im not chassidish but this is why a mom would be asking what her kid needs. Such a normal question for a first son. I just made a litfish bar mitzva and of course I asked around to see what my son would need. There are lots of funny questions asked on imamother, I do not think this is one of them.
Also I second big enough shirts for tefillin. We figured that out the hard way. Hatzlacha and mazal tov!

No idea what chasidish boys do, but in litvish circles everyone I know rolls up their sleeves. Never heard of getting wide sleeves.

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 3:31 am
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
This thread is weird. Why will no one give her a straight answer.

There is no straight answer. It depends on so many things.
Chasidus. Family minhag. And the cheider and yeshiva he attends.
Although to non chasidim it all looks the same a satmar bochur isn’t wearing the same bekitsha and hat as belz or viznitz bochur.
If a family is more cool and trendy most likely they’ll wear only designed tish bekitsha not a solid fabric one.
Stars 4 stores is solid advice. Some dry good stores have a list to work with. Obviously you don’t need everything but it’s a handy guide.
A new belt is optional. So is gloves and a scarf but if he’ll need black ones now is the time to get it.

imasoftov

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 3:55 am
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
This thread is weird. Why will no one give her a straight answer.

Because if the secrets of chassidishe underwear (and the "thing of chassidishe shirts") were known, teenaged spies could infiltrate every area of life, even the mikvas!

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 4:10 am
Exactly I was thinking about safety too, that's why I gave the general what's out there & not specific to place. Also it's impossible to know where this bochur belongs and which ones he'll need/want

How many times do we hear that a terrorist dressed up like a frum yid....

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 4:16 am
imasoftov wrote:
Because if the secrets of chassidishe underwear (and the "thing of chassidishe shirts") were known, teenaged spies could infiltrate every area of life, even the mikvas!

Spooky. I never thought of that. That’s how imposters like FBI agents are always spotted it’s impossible to get all the nuances. I read a book about ww2 were people were caught because they were crossing themselves wrong for the denomination they said they were. Left to right or vice versa.

sequoia

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 4:18 am
Chalat is bathrobe in Russian.

Is that what they wear to school?

DrMom

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 4:19 am
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
Us too (chabad). Just roll up the sleeves, one arm out of the jacket. Jacket buttoned outside in to be right over left.

Is cotton tzitzis really ok past bar mitzva? I thought only wool.

AFAIK, tzitzit themselves must be made of wool.

But the tallit katan itself can be made of anything (except linen).

^^^ Halachically, that is. Perhaps different communities have different minhagim.

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 4:21 am
The chassidish velt has very nice interesting convos but sometimes we will move a convo to our private forum, because our lifestyle is foreign to others so general public is confused, so seems rude to have an inner dialogue in public, sometimes we get bashed.
Look at this, why does a non chassidic person care what underwear a chassidish bochur wears. It's totally not shayich for other people, so why shouldn't the question be asked where it belongs.
When asked in right forum, it's less likely to be a troll too.

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 4:23 am
sequoia wrote:

And this is why this thread is stupid cause someone that doesn’t understand chassidish is making an ignorant comment.
Sure all chassidish boys wear bathrobes to cheder.

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 4:24 am
DrMom wrote:
AFAIK, tzitzit themselves must be made of wool.

But the tallit katan itself can be made of anything (except linen).

^^^ Halachically, that is. Perhaps different communities have different minhagim.

True but we are strict with only a wool beged. I've never seen a Chasid with cotton tzitzis.

dankbar

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 4:27 am
sequoia wrote:

No, its a lighweight black overcoat with buttons & belt.

It's washable, and comfortable to wear all day instead of a heavy wool warm tailored suit that would need dry cleaning after getting dirty often.

In most yeshivas boys sit & learn dressed, suit jackets are not used as an outside jacket that gets thrown off once inside, when they are teens.

dankbar

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 4:30 am
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
True but we are strict with only a wool beged. I've never seen a Chasid with cotton tzitzis.

Some places are makpid on wool, others not..
Some wear tzitzis outside & some under shirt

dankbar

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 4:31 am
amother [ Teal ] wrote:

That means that you encountered only some type & not all

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 4:34 am
sequoia wrote:

That’s probably the origin of the word but it not used for a bathrobe. It’s the more casual version of a long jacket. Soft fabric and belted. A shabbos chalat is the casual version at a bekitsha.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 4:35 am
[quote="amother [ Peach ]"]I think only Rebbish men wear chassidish shirts. I don't think many Bar Mitzvah boys wear them.
The boys usually wear what their father wears.
Some wear cotton tzitzis, some wool, some wear their tzitzis inside. Depends on the family minhag. Same applies to the hat the boy will be wearing.[/quote]
That depends on your circles. My boys wear chassidish shirts only. Not rebbish by far!

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 4:35 am
Many yrs ago a chassidish man drowned. His body was found in water only years later, where he was unrecognizable anymore, the only way he was identified was by his chassidish underwear.

dankbar

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 4:41 am
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
And this is why this thread is stupid cause someone that doesn’t understand chassidish is making an ignorant comment.
Sure all chassidish boys wear bathrobes to cheder.

Don't call her stupid, she is trying to get informed, obviously since she is not chassidish, she wouldn't know what boys wear to yeshiva.

Sequoa, now you know the dresscode, you can sit into a yeshiva to learn!

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 4:42 am
dankbar wrote:
Don't call her stupid, she is trying to get informed, obviously since she is not chassidish, she wouldn't know what boys wear to yeshiva.

Sequoa, now you know the dresscode, you can sit into a yeshiva to learn!

I didn’t call anyone stupid I said the thread is stupid.

Just One

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 4:44 am
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
Many yrs ago a chassidish man drowned. His body was found in water only years later, where he was unrecognizable anymore, the only way he was identified was by his chassidish underwear.

Who woulda thunk?! Very Happy
Page 3 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics