Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club
Tips for magazine writers
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 12:36 pm
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
Not cool to mention a specific article by a specific person. If I were her I'd be cringing.

Take the criticism with the same good humor you want people to take your post. Or better yet, edit the article name out.

I did not mention the name of the article, and I wrote a disclaimer that the article was excellent except for that word.

vintagebknyc

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 12:37 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yes, Z”man and Makif are incredible magazines. But as for the other magazines, I see so many mistakes, but apparently there’s no point trying to help anyone improve their grammar or vocabulary. As you can see from the replies to my post, you cannot teach someone what they think they already know (and who does not want to hear otherwise).

I brought up language issues, and they became defensive and turned it into a personal attack on me, filled with name-calling. And not just calling me names (like pompous and elitist), but implying I am awful to my family, etc. Wow. So these are the fine women writing for our magazines?

The larger question is why, if there are so many mistakes, do these magazines not hire copy editors and research staff? I work in secular magazines, and nothing gets printed without at least five other editors giving it a read and editing as needed.

ExtraCredit

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 12:52 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
The larger question is why, if there are so many mistakes, do these magazines not hire copy editors and research staff? I work in secular magazines, and nothing gets printed without at least five other editors giving it a read and editing as needed.

I doubt they can afford 5 editors and most of their consumers are content with their material even though it doesn’t pass a Harvard grad’s meticulous editing.
P.s. I enjoyed OPs criticism but this could’ve been a fun thread instead of specific article bashing. Also it gotta be a two way street. OP needs to accept the criticism hurled at her with the same good humor she expects her advice to be taken.

vintagebknyc

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 12:58 pm
ExtraCredit wrote:
I doubt they can afford 5 editors and most of their consumers are content with their material even though it doesn’t pass a Harvard grad’s meticulous editing.
P.s. I enjoyed OPs criticism but this could’ve been a fun thread instead of specific article bashing. Also it gotta be a two way street. OP needs to accept the criticism hurled at her with the same good humor she expects her advice to be taken.

I'm sure they can afford one or two other editors. It's standard. Harvard grad should know this. I went to Columbia J-school, and I know this.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 1:00 pm
ExtraCredit wrote:
I enjoyed OPs criticism but this could’ve been a fun thread instead of specific article bashing. Also it gotta be a two way street. OP needs to accept the criticism hurled at her with the same good humor she expects her advice to be taken.

The criticism wasn't given to me at all in the same way. I said that one word was used wrong in an otherwise excellent article (read my disclaimer at the end, telling that writer the article was great except for that one word).

Do you really believe that calling me names and saying I must be horrible in my personal relationships is even remotely equivalent? My post was sincere, and the replies were sarcastic and mean-spirited. Is that really comparable? I did not get personal, they did.

amother
Gray

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 1:01 pm
I have to say (as a non college Bais Yaakov educated graduate) was reading the newspaper this week and one article had two mistakes. Really bad. I had to reread it 3 times to figure out which word they originally intended to use. I was thinking to call up and offer my editing services Smile

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 1:10 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I did not mention the name of the article, and I wrote a disclaimer that the article was excellent except for that word.

Yet I knew exactly which article you were talking about...

Not sure why you think these random commenters are the magazine staff. Very unlikely they all are. Your post just seemed very know-it-all and it rubbed people the wrong way.

Writergirl

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 1:13 pm
You see...your post didn't match your title. You didn't offer 'Tips for magazine writers,' you offered criticism to magazine writers (with a few mentioned in particular.)

The wording was off-putting and not so nice.

Yeah, I am a magazine writer but I'm not insulted. I even somewhat agree with you.

But as a writer, I know...wording goes a long way.

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 1:17 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
The criticism wasn't given to me at all in the same way. I said that one word was used wrong in an otherwise excellent article (read my disclaimer at the end, telling that writer the article was great except for that one word).

Do you really believe that calling me names and saying I must be horrible in my personal relationships is even remotely equivalent? My post was sincere, and the replies were sarcastic and mean-spirited. Is that really comparable? I did not get personal, they did.

Apparently, you are sensitive. That is good. Now you will be able to undertsand the following scenario.

Imagine you are Raizel Appelhouse, the user of the word purge in the wrong way. You are proud of the article you submitted under your own name with a fascinating story. You spent weeks on it and everyone from your bubby to children to next door neighbor read it and tell you it was great. Then, some hoity toity Ivy League grad decided to accuse you on a popular frum forum of using a thesaurus to sound fancy and not actually understanding the words you're using. Kind, right?

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 1:23 pm
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
Apparently, you are sensitive. That is good. Now you will be able to undertsand the following scenario.

Imagine you are Raizel Appelhouse, the user of the word purge in the wrong way. You are proud of the article you submitted under your own name with a fascinating story. You spent weeks on it and everyone from your bubby to children to next door neighbor read it and tell you it was great. Then, some hoity toity Ivy League grad decided to accuse you on a popular frum forum of using a thesaurus to sound fancy and not actually understanding the words you're using. Kind, right?

Published author here, adding in my two cents.

When you put your work out into the world, you have to be willing to deal with criticism. There's always going to be someone who doesn't like what you've written.

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 1:26 pm
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
Published author here, adding in my two cents.

When you put your work out into the world, you have to be willing to deal with criticism. There's always going to be someone who doesn't like what you've written.

That is not a Torah concept. Lashon hara and onaas devarim don't become okay when someone is a published author.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 1:31 pm
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
Yet I knew exactly which article you were talking about...

Not sure why you think these random commenters are the magazine staff. Very unlikely they all are. Your post just seemed very know-it-all and it rubbed people the wrong way.

Because they said they write for the magazines. Amother Sienna, who wrote the personal attack on me, said she writes for the magazines, as did Extra Credit, and Amother Orange.

ExtraCredit

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 1:31 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Her reply was a bit strong but after reading your OP I’d think you can handle it. Apparently you’re more sensitive than she imagined. Lesson learnt. Always err on the side of caution when it comes to hurting another Jew. Or gentile.

ExtraCredit

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 1:34 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Because they said they write for the magazines. Amother Sienna, who wrote the personal attack on me, said she writes for the magazines, as did Extra Credit, and Amother Orange.

Amother orange said she writes mitzva notes. Sienna didn’t seem serious about it. As for me, Silent
But I enjoyed your tips, er- extremities!

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 1:37 pm
Due the wording of your original post it seemed you would be able to take that which you uh..dished. But I'll delete (extra credit if you don't mind deleting my post in your comment as well I'd appreciate it). Thank you so much for the incredibly helpful tips op!!! Amazing advice!! (That's the response you were looking for right?)

ExtraCredit

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 1:45 pm
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
Due the wording of your original post it seemed you would be able to take that which you uh..dished. But I'll delete (extra credit if you don't mind deleting my post in your comment as well I'd appreciate it). Thank you so much for the incredibly helpful tips op!!! Amazing advice!! (That's the response you were looking for right?)

I do mind but I’ll do it anyway.

realsilver

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 1:51 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I actually loved their responses, I thought they were really funny and entertaining.
And here I am, scared to write a Post to you , cuz I’m nervous I’m writing the wrong words!

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 1:52 pm
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
That is not a Torah concept. Lashon hara and onaas devarim don't become okay when someone is a published author.

Honest criticism of someone's work isn't lashon hara. How do you think someone improves (in any area)? You try, someone points out how it could be done better, and you try again.

Criticism should be fair and impersonal, and deal with the product, not the person. But stifling all criticism? Not a good idea, for many reasons.

ExtraCredit

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 1:55 pm
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
Honest criticism of someone's work isn't lashon hara. How do you think someone improves (in any area)? You try, someone points out how it could be done better, and you try again.

Criticism should be fair and impersonal, and deal with the product, not the person. But stifling all criticism? Not a good idea, for many reasons.

The tone of the criticism is what matters!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 1:57 pm
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:

Thank you for deleting your reply. That was the personal attack I had been referring to.
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club