Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
“YOU AND YOUR PRAYER BOOK CAN GET OFF!”
  Previous  1  2  3 10  11  12  Next

CrazyDaisie

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 6:25 am
emma07 wrote:
Jealous of what???me not agreeing in everything doesn’t mean I am jealous! I can make my own mind instead of just blindly follow because she is foxes daughter 🤦‍♀️🤷‍♀️

I am also getting the impression that many posters here resent dissenting views. I am totally with you and would love to hear more about the incident from a neutral source.

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 6:35 am
CrazyDaisie wrote:
I am also getting the impression that many posters here resent dissenting views. I am totally with you and would love to hear more about the incident from a neutral source.

Nope. Imamother is full of dissenting views. Imamother gets annoyed by anonymous amothers making fools of themselves who won’t back down even when being called out a dozen times. If a dozen people of different backgrounds who don’t normally agree with each other all call you out on the same thing, it’s time to take a look in the mirror.

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 7:15 am
Keep the self hating Jews in mind when reading other threads on ima

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 7:27 am
amother [ Mint ] wrote:

I think it's a bit self righteous to declare that anyone who thinks this passenger maybe could have taken more efforts to remain masked is self-hating.

Talk about cancel culture.

emma07

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 7:56 am
Wow just wow!
amother [ Mint ] wrote:

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 8:02 am
all too easy to be an armchair quarterback...

hopefully we would all be able to be as composed were this to happen to us R"L

no wonder aggressors think they can get away with it...hope they are proven wrong

plus a good reminder anyone can be on here...

number

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 8:41 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
If a dozen people of different backgrounds who don’t normally agree with each other all call you out on the same thing, it’s time to take a look in the mirror.
Yep.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 8:43 am
Fox, I'm so sorry this happened to your daughter.

I've had plenty of experience with being targeted for looking obviously Jewish and religious. On around 95% of the flights I take, I am pulled out of line after going through the scanning machine, and I am subjected to an intrusive body search. (Granted, my carry-on luggage generally includes a tacky handbag / backpack but I don't think that's what triggers the search.) I have occasionally missed flights due to the body search and questioning. Never mind how I feel about myself afterwards. Yuck.

I generally don't wear pants outside the house, but a few years ago, I wore loose flare-legged palazzo pants for a plane trip. Amazingly, nobody stopped me at any point during the check-in and security process. No body search. On the way back, I wore my usual long skirt. I was subjected to the usual body search. After that I started experimenting. Results of my experiment: 100% of the time when I wear pants, I am not stopped. >95% of the time when I am wearing a skirt, I am stopped. My skirts may not be high fashion, but they are hardly a sign of being a terrorist.

Around ten years ago, I traveled to Europe with an ArtScroll pocket siddur in the front pocket of my backpack. My luggage was opened (as it often is), and this siddur attracted the attention of security. Several layers of security personnel were brought in to discuss this exotic object. I thought it might be the ornate design on the front of the ArtScroll, especially the crown: maybe they thought I was a monarchist planning a restoration of the Kaiser. It took them quite a while to let me through.

Whether one is kicked off a plane or subjected to a body search, the experience is unpleasant and unnecessary. I agree that it is a good thing to file a complaint and try to see if you can get a response.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 9:03 am
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
Fox, I'm so sorry this happened to your daughter.

I generally don't wear pants outside the house, but a few years ago, I wore loose flare-legged palazzo pants for a plane trip. Amazingly, nobody stopped me at any point during the check-in and security process. No body search. On the way back, I wore my usual long skirt. I was subjected to the usual body search. After that I started experimenting. Results of my experiment: 100% of the time when I wear pants, I am not stopped. >95% of the time when I am wearing a skirt, I am stopped. My skirts may not be high fashion, but they are hardly a sign of being a terrorist.

Interesting it didn't happen in the palazzos. I wear long skirts and am almost always patted down. No biggie, and I thank the agent for her diligence.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 9:10 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Interesting it didn't happen in the palazzos. I wear long skirts and am almost always patted down. No biggie, and I thank the agent for her diligence.

So it's not just me that's almost always searched. I guess it wouldn't be so bad if they just "patted me down." Depending on where their hands go, it can be quite intrusive. I can't bring myself to say thank you for the experience.

devo1982

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 9:52 am
Fox, I am sorry this happened to your daughter. No matter what the extenuating circumstances were, there's no call for the airline personnel to behave in such a manner (but then again, neither is there any cause for them to toss off parents with screaming toddlers who won't wear their masks, but here we are).

Emma and Daisie, I generally don't post, and I definitely don't call out posters by name, but your collective behavior of following each other around this thread agreeing with each other looks odd, to put it mildly. Fox has very graciously said she's very open to hearing other accounts from the flight to better understand the situation, yet we have no indication that you've shown her the courtesy of messaging her to share what your friends have said. At this point, either message her and let her decide whether the details alter the understanding of the situation, or let it go.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 9:57 am
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
So it's not just me that's almost always searched. I guess it wouldn't be so bad if they just "patted me down." Depending on where their hands go, it can be quite intrusive. I can't bring myself to say thank you for the experience.

I've been lucky. Usually it's just a leg pat, sometimes upper body. I wish I felt more comfortable wearing a hat or other head covering on the plane but am too nervous so wear sheitels.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 9:58 am
emma07 wrote:
Wow just wow!

If you hadn't joined 10 days before the incident, I'd swear you were the flight attendant, posting to defend herself.

If you have damning evidence, put up or shut up.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 10:03 am
PinkFridge wrote:
I've been lucky. Usually it's just a leg pat, sometimes upper body. I wish I felt more comfortable wearing a hat or other head covering on the plane but am too nervous so wear sheitels.

My experiences have not been pleasant.

Regarding sheitel vs. hat; I would think that a hat or kerchief would make you stick out more rather than less. But you are lucky that they don't try to pat down your sheitel. That could be embarrassing. On their journey through my body, lower, middle, and upper, they often wind up getting their hands through my hair too. Yuck. Just yuck.

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 10:08 am
PinkFridge wrote:

I once accidentally brought a serated pointy veggie knife and they didn't pat me down lolol.

And I mean. We look sephardic and I cover with scarves.

But when my husband flies alone his looks and Arabic name get a little extra attention.

yksraya

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 10:22 am
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
My experiences have not been pleasant.

Regarding sheitel vs. hat; I would think that a hat or kerchief would make you stick out more rather than less. But you are lucky that they don't try to pat down your sheitel. That could be embarrassing. On their journey through my body, lower, middle, and upper, they often wind up getting their hands through my hair too. Yuck. Just yuck.

I did get my sheitel patted down last time. I had 2 T-pins to hold my hat in place, so I guess the scanner spotted that. Was no big deal.

Miri1

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 10:43 am
One time they wanted to remove my hat, so since then I wear a sheitel and no one says anything. I'm sure they realize because there are metal clips, but they are actually probably a bit more respectful of my privacy with the sheitel - I"m sure there are others (not just Jews) wearing wigs and toupees and they know that it would make people embarrassed to make a big deal of it.

The skirt however almost always gets a pat down. I honestly never questioned it because it makes sense that something could be hiding in a skirt. My experience has always been just that t - a pat down. B"H I've never felt they were particularly intrusive.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 11:39 am
emma07 wrote:
Wow just wow!

You must be pretty new here. Welcome!

ectomorph

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 1:00 pm
Can someone report Emma and Daisies posts to be checked out?

southernbubby

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 1:07 pm
Long skirts are a no-no for air travel and will always result in a pat down. Wear regular tznius skirts.

The Chabad sefer Chitas is very thick and should be removed from your backpack before air travel.

Any prosthetics, such as mastectomy bras will result in a pat down.

Don't use hand lotion before screening because some of them have sensitive ingredients if your hands are tested for drugs.

When boarding, make sure that luggage for the overhead bin requires no assistance to store it.

Be as unobtrusive as possible.

I think that the flight attendants in this case were guilty of anti-Semitism because of their remarks. We should all make sure that our masks, luggage, clothing, and electronics conform to airline guidelines and that we are in our seats when required.
Page 11 of 12   Previous  1  2  3 10  11  12  Next Recent Topics