Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Does Aliza work in DL circles in Israel?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

chanchy123

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 2:11 am
IME even among the older generation Aliza was an American name I don’t think I know an Aliza that isn’t American, and I certainly don’t know an Aliza that is younger than 50.
All the names mentioned above work well.
I agree, traditional old fashioned names from the Tanach can be vintage and classic, a name that was considered modern 60 years ago doesn’t hold up as well.
Another happy name Masos - משוש

Check this out for ideas:
http://www.shemli.co.il/hebnam.....ID=21

etky

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 2:25 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What are some more modern happiness names?

Roni
Rona
Ronit
Rinat
Rinatya
Rinana
Gil
Gili
Gilat
Gilit
Tagel
Osher
Oshrit
Oshri
Oshra
Masos

etky

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 2:43 am
essie14 wrote:
Yes, names in DL circles are very diff than chareidi circles.
These are the girls in my DDs gan
Liel
Emunah
Ya'ara
Hodaya
Noa (x2)
Noga
Adi
Renanna
Tamar

Cant remember any aliza's in older DDs class at all.

Interesting. These were also among the most popular names when my DD's - now young adults - were growing up. Also: Reut, Hadas, Yael

Rappel

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 2:48 am
OP - the only Aliza I know in the DL arena is a Teimani Savta. But bear in mind: Savta names, unfortunately, become super popular when everyone has to name after their savtas. You can be the trend-setter. And there is nothing objectionable about the name in Hebrew.

Full disclosure: I unintentionally named my daughter a Savta name, and I think she's going to make it popular again. Smile She's giving people young associations with a beautiful name.

Some other happiness names:
Roni is VERY popular
Oshrat
Oshrit
Gila
Gili
Gilit
Rina
Simcha [is also a "Savta name." However, I asked an Israeli friend, and she said it's beginning to trend again, with the emphasis on the last syllable.]
Ronit
Avigail
Chedva

Many other pretty ones, but none that I can think of which means just "happiness."

mochamix18

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 3:21 am
]OP - the only Aliza I know in the DL arena is a Teimani Savta.
😂 I was thinking about sefardi savta we know also named Aliza. Former tenant of our apartment. Can’t comment further as I risk in chareidi circles. As far as Americans, I’m 38 and knew plenty of peers named Aliza so I don’t think 20-30 years ago in America it was considered a savta name.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 9:06 am
Thanks everyone! You’ve given me lots to think about...

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 9:12 am
essie14 wrote:
Did you mean Tahel ?

No - it's the female of Yagel
I have a granddaugter Tagel Smile
ישמחו השמים ותגל....

essie14

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 9:19 am
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
No - it's the female of Yagel
I have a granddaugter Tagel Smile
ישמחו השמים ותגל....

So interesting! I know several Yagels but never heard of Tagel. Pretty!

amother
Gray

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 10:35 am
mochamix18 wrote:
]OP - the only Aliza I know in the DL arena is a Teimani Savta.
😂 I was thinking about sefardi savta we know also named Aliza. Former tenant of our apartment. Can’t comment further as I risk in chareidi circles. As far as Americans, I’m 38 and knew plenty of peers named Aliza so I don’t think 20-30 years ago in America it was considered a savta name.

I am not quite 50 and grew up mo in NJ. Aliza was the most popular name in my grade of about 70 girls. I used to joke that there would be no Alizas in the next generation because that was everyone's name.

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 2:25 pm
I am 37 and have a few friends named Aliza - chareidi/JPF American.
I taught in an American MO elementary school 15 years ago and there were at least 3 Aliza's in every class.
I have a few American yeshivish or JPF friends with young daughters (under 5) named Aliza.

I live in Israel now and can't think of any Aliza's. I think that aliz means gay so the name kind of lost popularity among st Hebrew speakers.

etky

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 4:29 pm
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
I am 37 and have a few friends named Aliza - chareidi/JPF American.
I taught in an American MO elementary school 15 years ago and there were at least 3 Aliza's in every class.
I have a few American yeshivish or JPF friends with young daughters (under 5) named Aliza.

I live in Israel now and can't think of any Aliza's. I think that aliz means gay so the name kind of lost popularity among st Hebrew speakers.

I know quite a few Alizas and they are all at least 45 and up (though not all Temani Wink - and some are definitely very Ashkenazi) . All the young Alizas that I can think of are from English speaking families, without exception.
It could very well be that the name's popularity fell off a couple of generations ago because aliz means gay but nowadays no one calls them that anymore. I think the name is just plain outdated now.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 5:52 pm
Thank you all for your input!

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 6:23 pm
American RW MO here

This thread is fascinating!!

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 10:04 pm
I'm American yeshivish and am fascinated myself. I have an Aliza who is under 10 and there are so very many Alizas that I know in that age range.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 10:23 pm
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
I'm American yeshivish and am fascinated myself. I have an Aliza who is under 10 and there are so very many Alizas that I know in that age range.

Me too! Here I am with my toddler Aliza getting all nervous that people think she has an old lady name 😂

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 10:46 pm
Aliza was a very popular name growing up MO in NJ. Im 37. My dds don’t have any friends named Aliza.

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 10:54 pm
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
Aliza was a very popular name growing up MO in NJ. Im 37. My dds don’t have any friends named Aliza.

At this point I think it's mainly popular in the American RW circles.

Not in Israeli circles. Wasn't it the name of Menachem Begin's wife? So, makes sense that by this time it would be outdated there.

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 4:29 am
yup I live in Israel but grew up MO in NJ and although im in my late 20's I knew at least 3 alizas and still think it would be cute for a little girl so another vote for "I think it's just an israeli thing" ...the mayor of Bet Shemesh is named Aliza

essie14

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 5:06 am
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
yup I live in Israel but grew up MO in NJ and although im in my late 20's I knew at least 3 alizas and still think it would be cute for a little girl so another vote for "I think it's just an israeli thing" ...the mayor of Bet Shemesh is named Aliza

Shes a savta Smile

etky

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 5:14 am
amother [ Natural ] wrote:

Yes, the name is extremely ubiquitous in Israel, in that (my Wink ) age group.
Sort of in the same league as names like Ahuva, Aviva and Ilana that were popular in Israel about 50-60 years ago (and no longer are) and made it over to the States several decades later.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names