Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Chassidish Imas in Lakewood- let's discuss this
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 14  15  16  Next

Crookshanks

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 9:54 am
crust wrote:
So, in your opinion, (let's say you are the pedestrian) is there enough red lights and sidewalks next to the shopping areas?

No because the chassidish people live in between oak and chestnut (google maps it to see what I'm talking about.) There is a light at Chestnut but not at Oak. If a light would go up at Oak it would be impossible to drive there. (There is a crossing guard in the morning for kids walking to school. Even that adds minutes and traffic to my morning drive to work.

Crookshanks

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 9:55 am
Mommyg8 wrote:
Am I wrong that it's not only about the crossing? There are no sidewalks either AFAIK.

True because there are no houses on Rt 9. So no sidewalks either.

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 9:55 am
There are other pressing issues in this town as well believe it or not.

Mommyg8

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 9:56 am
crust wrote:
Again, there's enough cyber space for every single can of worms out there.

Wink

The cans of worms that I see is that there is so much frustration with the Lakewood traffic situation as it is, that people who live here are like - take a number and go to the back of the line. That's what I mean.

If Chassidim want to change things and add sidewalks, that's great. Just don't expect it to happen through the establishment.

I'm sorry if I'm talking too frankly.

sweetdimples

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 9:57 am
crust wrote:
Don't you think that it is dangerous?

More importantly, do you know if anything is being done about this?

yes it is. and thats why I try to take care of errands when baby is being minded at babysitter or by teenage sibling after school. sidewalks being promised. still waiting...

Crookshanks

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 9:57 am
Mommyg8 wrote:
Do you really think cars stop if there is a walking guy icon?

This is hard for me to explain, but the walking guy thing is only used for people crossing rt 9 when the cars are driving on the other street. (For example, when the cars are going up and down Pine Street, that's when people can use the crosswalk to cross Rt 9. Basically, the people move along with the traffic, not against it, since that would be dangerous.) If cars want to turn right or left, they need to wait for pedestrians crossing. Lmk if this makes any sense.

crust

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 9:59 am
Mommyg8 wrote:
The cans of worms that I see is that there is so much frustration with the Lakewood traffic situation as it is, that people who live here are like - take a number and go to the back of the line. That's what I mean.

If Chassidim want to change things and add sidewalks, that's great. Just don't expect it to happen through the establishment.

No, that's what I want!

Chassdish imas, is anyone thinking about adding sidewalks to main areas without involving the town/state/county?

I know many areas where this was done by the residents not by the municipality.

Anyone?

nchr

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 9:59 am
crust wrote:
No, that's what I want!

Chassdish imas, is anyone thinking about adding sidewalks?

Anyone?

If there is development proposed along any portion of the road, you can see if you can encourage sidewalks as part of their state approval for a road opening and/or use.

flowerpower

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 10:00 am
Crust is about to change the way things are in Lakewood! Can’t wait to see results!

Mommyg8

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 10:01 am
nchr wrote:
If there is development proposed along any portion of the road, you can see if you can encourage sidewalks as part of their state approval for a road opening and/or use.

This is always mandated, AFAIK.

amother
Tangerine

I'm not really understanding why the state or the county would decide that it's important to allocate funding to make every part of a town walkable. People who don't drive usually hire a taxi to bring them places that it's not safe to walk, no matter where they live. Not every road is made for walking. It isn't a citizen's right to have crosswalks and sidewalks installed all over the place. Not having basic pedestrian safety is just the cherry on top.

And yes, there are major issues with lakewood driving and roads aside from this.

Crookshanks

Mommyg8 wrote:

That is how people feel because all the new developments that are being built are taking away trees and adding cars. There is a certain animus for the people moving in.

crust

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 10:02 am
flowerpower wrote:
Crust is about to change the way things are in Lakewood! Can’t wait to see results!

Yep!!
That's how far my influence goes!!

Tongue Out

Discussing something in a logical way does not mean I expect immediate results.

number

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 10:02 am
Crookshanks wrote:
By traffic lights but crosswalks aren't always meant to be used. It's only it there is a walking guy icon:)
Umm you're always supposed to yield at a pedestrian crosswalk. Doesn't matter whether there's a signal.

Here's the law:
The driver of a vehicle must stop and stay stopped for a pedestrian crossing the roadway within any marked crosswalk, but shall yield the right-of-way to a pedestrian crossing the roadway within an unmarked crosswalk at an intersection, except at crosswalks when the movement of traffic is being regulated by police officers or traffic control signals, or where otherwise prohibited by municipal, county, or State regulation, and except where a pedestrian tunnel or overhead pedestrian crossing has been provided, but no pedestrian shall suddenly leave a curb or other place of safety and walk or run into the path of a vehicle which is so close that it is impossible for the driver to yield.

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 10:04 am
crust wrote:
Ouch.
Are you saying that it is not only the pedestrians that are adding to the danger?

As far as I understand it's only the chassidish women with ot without strollers that are walking and crossing in areas where it is dangerous to do so.

I assumed original Lakewood families never have their children walk anywhere and this problem is new.

As I said in one of my posts THIS IS NOT A NEW PROBLEM, this is Lakewood and people have been walking in the street for more years then I lived here(about 30). It used to be only Men who pushed strollers in the street, most men would be taking and picking up their kids from playgroup\babysitters and they would offen walk as if they are the only people on the street. Do you know why there is so much lights between County Line and Rt88? Because of all the people who lost their lives This happened before all the Chassidish women were here pushing baby strollers. Now that women are pushing strollers just like the men(in this town) we have a very big problem.

number

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 10:05 am
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
I'm not really understanding why the state or the county would decide that it's important to allocate funding to make every part of a town walkable.
The town is supposed to ensure the kids can walk to and from school though. Idk if there would be kids walking along these roads.

cbsp

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 10:07 am
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
Crust is is not a new issue as someone who has bean living in Lakewood on and off for the last 30 years(I keep trying to leave and get yank back Lakewood is a whirlpool everyone gets sucked in).

Were to start?

This is not a Chassidish problem, pedestrian have been a problem way before all the new Chassidish developments

<snip>

I also wanted to point out that there are other segments of the general population that are pedestrians, not just the chassidish women - in fact, their presence pre-dates the chassidishe influx to Lakewood. Maybe working that angle politically would get results?

Crookshanks

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 10:07 am
number wrote:
Umm you're always supposed to yield at a pedestrian crosswalk. Doesn't matter whether there's a signal.

Here's the law:
The driver of a vehicle must stop and stay stopped for a pedestrian crossing the roadway within any marked crosswalk, but shall yield the right-of-way to a pedestrian crossing the roadway within an unmarked crosswalk at an intersection, except at crosswalks when the movement of traffic is being regulated by police officers or traffic control signals, or where otherwise prohibited by municipal, county, or State regulation, and except where a pedestrian tunnel or overhead pedestrian crossing has been provided, but no pedestrian shall suddenly leave a curb or other place of safety and walk or run into the path of a vehicle which is so close that it is impossible for the driver to yield.

You are talking about a crosswalk that's not at a traffic light. That doesn't exist on Rt 9. I'm talking about crosswalks with traffic signals for pedestrians. When the white walking guy is there, you can cross. When the red hand is up, you are not allowed to cross. You wrote this yourself: "except at crosswalks when the movement of traffic is being regulated by police officers or traffic control signals"

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 10:08 am
number wrote:
The town is supposed to ensure the kids can walk to and from school though. Idk if there would be kids walking along these roads.

I don't think a town is required to ensure that every child has a sidewalk leading from his house to whatever school he chooses to attend.

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 10:08 am
crust wrote:
No, that's what I want!

Chassdish imas, is anyone thinking about adding sidewalks to main areas without involving the town/state/county?

Anyone?

There is a Shul in Rain Tree were the members put a sidewalk along County Line Road so that its members would not have to walk in the mud to get to their Shul. Is this what you are talking about?
Page 5 of 16   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 14  15  16  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries