Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
The Queen's Gambit
Previous  1  2

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 3:54 am
So I watched it and really enjoyed it. Not the drugs bit but the whole storyline was riveting. And I find chess one of the most boring games ever, and yes I know how to play.

But I was disappointed to find out that it is entirely fictional, and that there was no female grandmaster of chess on the US team. Sad (although there have been in other countries) Especially almost entirely self taught and self motivated with no pushy parents behind her.

My daughter once joined an afterschool chess club and at one point the teacher told me, oh girls are just not good at chess. Mad Sure, I do think that girls are less likely to be great chess players, but yes, they can be.

Having said that, I like that in chess the queen is the most powerful player, not the king, who is really just a figurehead.

sequoia

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 5:23 am
I think Jolene gave Beth the money because she was probably fascinated by the USSR, imagining it as this ideal society with no racism. If she couldn’t go there herself, she could listen to Beth’s account.

Rappel

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 5:32 am
Wait, people are interested in chess now? Excellent!

imasinger

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 6:59 am
sequoia wrote:
I think Jolene gave Beth the money because she was probably fascinated by the USSR, imagining it as this ideal society with no racism. If she couldn’t go there herself, she could listen to Beth’s account.

I didn't watch the series (I almost always like the books better than the movies), but in the book, we find out a bit more of everyone's motives.

sequoia

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 7:02 am
imasinger wrote:
I didn't watch the series (I almost always like the books better than the movies), but in the book, we find out a bit more of everyone's motives.

Oh, can you tell me?

icedcoffee

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 10:09 am
tichellady wrote:
I can’t get into it. When did it get good? I’m finding the first episode to be so depressing

I actually agree the first episode is kind of weird and depressing. My friends who recommended it said they almost stopped there because it was so odd watching children addicted to pills. But once she leaves the orphanage it feels completely different- everything gets much more alive and vibrant. I would stick it out through episode 2 and see if you still aren't into it.

I think something about the marketing of the show doesn't get it across clearly. When I first saw the poster I seriously thought it was about the queen of England as a young chess player, like in the vein of The Crown or Downtown Abbey. Then when I recommended it to my parents they said "no thanks, we don't really like those old British shows" Laugh Now they're hooked.

myraclaire

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 12:05 pm
I loved this series for all of the aforementioned reasons, but I’m actually surprised no one mentioned her wardrobe/styling. The clothing was AMAZING! I wish I had the guts or could carry that hairdo.
I didn’t realize there was a book- is it silly to read it now?

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 12:12 pm
tichellady wrote:
I can’t get into it. When did it get good? I’m finding the first episode to be so depressing

I got into it until the adoptive mother died and now I am having trouble finishing the series. Its depressing because I feel that she would not have been as successful if it werent for the mother. Maybe I will push myself to continue watching it or not. I wish they wouldnt have killed the mother (since it fictional anyway so why did she have to die?).

sequoia

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 12:43 pm
myraclaire wrote:
I loved this series for all of the aforementioned reasons, but I’m actually surprised no one mentioned her wardrobe/styling. The clothing was AMAZING! I wish I had the guts or could carry that hairdo.
I didn’t realize there was a book- is it silly to read it now?

I know! The costumes are amazing! And the wallpaper.

Not at all — I practically know the series by heart and I just started the book today.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 3:33 pm
I read an article that said that the lead actress was bullied horribly in school - for being UGLY! Can you even imagine?

She has this ethereal, haunting beauty about her. Delicate and strong at the same time. Love it!

(And I love her wardrobe, too.)

sequoia

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 6:33 pm
Finished the book.

The show was better.

SnowLeopard

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 6:46 pm
sequoia wrote:
Finished the book.

The show was better.

Thanks for the update! I was wondering!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics