Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Sleeping with socks on not allowed?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

shabbatiscoming

Post Sat, Dec 19 2020, 5:45 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
I'm talking about erev yom kippur
there is no such halacha not to eat meat before Yom Kippur. We are very much allowed to eat meat/basari at that meal.

DrMom

Post Sat, Dec 19 2020, 5:53 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
I asked dh he said that it's definitely come from a Halacha, not to get too warm at night. The same reason why we don't eat meat at the seudas hamafsekes bc s-x isn't allowed. I'm just confused that men are allowed meat if we're a niddah bc isn't it the same sort of thing?!

What does eating meat have to do with sx?

amother
Olive

Post Sat, Dec 19 2020, 5:54 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
there is no such halacha not to eat meat before Yom Kippur. We are very much allowed to eat meat/basari at that meal.

So maybe it's a chumrah or minhag, we eat chicken but not proper meat.
I guess everyone does different, but it's all based on the same thing.

amother
Olive

Post Sat, Dec 19 2020, 5:56 pm
DrMom wrote:
What does eating meat have to do with sx?

It warms the body up apparently!
I'm just saying what we do/don't do. It's not that difficult for me not to serve meat at that meal. Thats what my dh father does, his father did etc etc.. My parents also don't have meat at the erev yom kippur meal.

DrMom

Post Sat, Dec 19 2020, 6:00 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
It warms the body up apparently!
I'm just saying what we do/don't do. It's not that difficult for me not to serve meat at that meal. Thats what my dh father does, his father did etc etc.. My parents also don't have meat at the erev yom kippur meal.

Not sure why meat would make you warmer than any other warm food.

But assuming this is true, then yes, men should consume vegetarian dinners so as to avoid nocturnal emissions. Makes just as much sense as the sock thing to me.

ExtraCredit

Post Sat, Dec 19 2020, 6:02 pm
I thought we don’t eat fish erev YK.

amother
Olive

Post Sat, Dec 19 2020, 6:19 pm
ExtraCredit wrote:
I thought we don’t eat fish erev YK.

Oh don't start 🤣 lol! I don't know about that. Maybe I'll remember to ask dh next year but we're not big fish eaters so probably wouldn't know.

ExtraCredit

Post Sat, Dec 19 2020, 6:21 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
Oh don't start 🤣 lol! I don't know about that. Maybe I'll remember to ask dh next year but we're not big fish eaters so probably wouldn't know.

I think it’s just because it makes a person thirsty! Laugh
Anyone else heard of no fish for the erev YK seudah?
We also eat chicken but no steak.

https://oukosher.org/halacha-y.....ppur/

Elfrida

Post Sat, Dec 19 2020, 8:38 pm
ExtraCredit wrote:

Yes, I think.that comes from the Rambam. You don't want to.risk chocking on a fish bone and dying before you have been forgiven. We eat a fish meal after the fast.

Blidar,,,

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 6:32 am
Code:
[quote="FranticFrummie"]I always wondered about that part in Megillas Rut, where Ruth was told to sneak into the room where Boaz was sleeping, and to "uncover his feet."

Anyway you slice it, it doesn't seem one bit tznius, especially since she was told to dress up fancy for him. Never mind the yichud problem.  He wanted her to sneak out before dawn so that nobody would see her.  If they weren't fooling around, then way all the sneaking?

There was no "Yichud Problem" since in the days of Rus... Yichud was actually permitted between 2 singles... it was Dovid Hamelech, the grandchild of Rus that instituted the issur of Yichud by a "penuah" some single..

Blidar,,,

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 6:43 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It’s very ignorant, disrespectful to the Torah, not to mention rude to say that,
I just spoke to my Rabbi and he said it is indeedapplicable only to men but women are allowed.
Awaiting apology.

It's actually not "ignorant and disrespectful to the Torah" for calling out bizarre and crazy minhagim..
that make absolutely no sense.. a "minhag" or a "chumrah" has to make sense ...it's not the Torah ..
Telling a guy that he cannot wear socks at night is bizarre ... how the concentration camp inmates would have wanted to wear socks at night ..
anyway that rabbi who came out with "shtus" should allow him to wear a fur hat to sleep with since I read that cold comes thru the head first ...

Blidar,,,

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 6:54 am
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
https://I.imgur.com/fYpGhxJ.jpg
Notice it states yom kippur
And boaz is mentioned
Every minhag or chumra has a source or reason.
True, they are not halacha, but they are important to those that hold to them.

With all due respect ... the comparison between the Kohen Gadol and a reg shmo who wants to sleep Yom Kippur is very difficult ....
The Kohein Gadol was not allowed to sleep at all so to keep him awake they would tell him to put his bare feet on the cold floor ... the reason he couldn't go to sleep was because we were afraid that if he fell asleep and was aroused in his sleep he would have Tumas Keri... and wouldn't be able to do the Avoidah...
In our case .. the guy isn't the Kohein Gadol ... and he is not going to do the Avodah and our guy actually wants to go to sleep...so can someone please explain this Shelu? After having my DD talk to our "BIG" rabbi (a Lakewood R"Y)about this Sheluhe ...he said there is absolutely no minhag not to wear socks on any night including Y"K.... and that we should l"eave this "Shelu" to scholars who are no longer newlyweds...

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 7:19 am
Blidar,,, wrote:
It's actually not "ignorant and disrespectful to the Torah" for calling out bizarre and crazy minhagim..
that make absolutely no sense.. a "minhag" or a "chumrah" has to make sense ...it's not the Torah ..
Telling a guy that he cannot wear socks at night is bizarre ... how the concentration camp inmates would have wanted to wear socks at night ..
anyway that rabbi who came out with "shtus" should allow him to wear a fur hat to sleep with since I read that cold comes thru the head first ...

thousands of chassidish men and bocherim sleep like this so have respect. this is the second time you're just trashing other people's minhagim.

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 8:08 am
ExtraCredit wrote:

Actually there is a minhag to eat fish on erev Yom kipper, just not at the seudas hamefsekes.
There is a story in the Breishes Rabba about a poor tailor in Rome who went to the market erev YK to buy a fish. There was only one fish in the whole market for sale. He told the fish seller he will buy it. Just then a servant of a nobleman showed up and demanded he sell the fish to him for his master, offering a higher price. The Jew made a counter-offer, and the servant made a counter offer to his..they kept going until the fish was much greater than the original cost. Frustrated the servant gave up, assuming that his master would not want him to pay so much for a fish. The Jew happily paid for the fish and went home. The servant went back to report his failure. When the nobelman noticed that he didn't get fish for lunch he was incensed. The servant told him what happened, and the nobelman found it strange that a poor tailor could afford to pay so much for a fish. So he summoned the Jew to ask him why he paid so much for a fish? He said because on Yom Kippur, Hashem forgives our sins, so shouldn't we honor the arrival of the great day with the best foods? Hashem rewarded him, and when he opened the fish, he found a valuable pearl which he was able to sell and live off for the rest of his life. (I read the story in The Midrash Says, parashas Pinchas.)

However, the halacha is NOT to eat fish at the seudas hamefsekes.

Blidar,,,

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 8:50 am
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
thousands of chassidish men and bocherim sleep like this so have respect. this is the second time you're just trashing other people's minhagim.

I am chassidish and grew up in Williamsburg and no one ever heard of it ... my children all married into various different Chassidishe families and no one heard of this
I deal with OTD children I found that most of them found crazy minhagim ... crazy ... and what’s interesting that all they questioned was the minhagim... the bizarre and crazy ones and that’s what turned them off ... it wasn’t any of the taryag mitzvous...and yes once they questioned the minhagim that made absolutely no sense they started questioning the Torah as well.. the organization I work for that deals with OTD have had tremendous success with the youth once we told them that these minhagim if not printed in the Shulchan Aruch are not Torah ...and most were shocked to learn that wearing “vasseh zokin”or a “rashvulka” is a minhag.. I am not kidding
. we should investigate where these minhagim originated from and once these sources are found to be defective and crazy .... we should “yes” thrash them ....absolutely ... or to tell our children “shefele this is a minhag it’s not Torah it’s a minhag it would be nice if you follow it”
we are living in a new generation who can find out very fast if these are hallachos or minhagim and if we want to save our youth that are leaving by the thousands then we should start thrashing crazy bizarre minhagim
I read here about woman whose spouses are going off the derech ... and guess what ? It all starts with questioning minhagim ... we have a Torah we have an entire Shas Bavli and Yerushalmi ... and an entire Shulchan Aruch ... we don’t need to add to any of the chumrous already mentioned there ....and if your husband decides not to wear socks in a freezing apt tell him that I said that he shouldn’t pass that “minhag” to his boys

Last edited by Blidar,,, on Wed, Jan 13 2021, 9:02 am; edited 2 times in total

nchr

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 8:58 am
Blidar,,, wrote:
I am chassidish and grew up in Williamsburg and no one ever heard of it ... my children all married into various different Chassidishe families and no one heard of this
I deal with OTD children I found that most of them found crazy minhagim ... crazy ... and what’s interesting that all they questioned was the minhagim... the bizarre and crazy ones and that’s what turned them off ... it wasn’t any of the taryag mitzvous.... if we would investigate where these minhagim originated from and once these source are found to be defective and crazy .... we should “yes” thrash them ....absolutely ... we are living in a new generation who can find out very fast if these are hallachos or minhagim and if we want to save our youth that are leaving by the thousands then we should start thrashing crazy bizarre minhagim
I read here about woman whose spouses are going off the derech ... and guess what ? It all starts with questioning minhagim ... we have a Torah we have an entire Shas Bavli and Yerushalmi ... and an entire Shulchan Aruch ... we don’t need to add to any of the chumrous already mentioned there ....and if your husband decides not to wear socks in a freezing apt tell him that so said that he shouldn’t pass that “minhag” to his boys

I think you're speaking kofrus and should be thrown off this site. Do you have any idea how disgusting your comments are? Are you the same woman telling everyone to stop shaving?

Java

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 8:59 am
Blidar,,, wrote:
I deal with OTD children I found that most of them found crazy minhagim ... crazy ... and what’s interesting that all they questioned was the minhagim... the bizarre and crazy ones and that’s what turned them off ... it wasn’t any of the taryag mitzvous...and yes once they questioned the minhagim that made absolutely no sense they started questioning the Torah as well.. the organization I work for that deals with OTD have had tremendous success with the youth once we told them that these minhagim if not printed in the Shulchan Aruch are not Torah ...and most were shocked to learn that wearing “vasseh zokin”or a “rashvulka” is a minhag.. I am not kidding
. we should investigate where these minhagim originated from and once these sources are found to be defective and crazy .... we should “yes” thrash them ....absolutely ... we are living in a new generation who can find out very fast if these are hallachos or minhagim and if we want to save our youth that are leaving by the thousands then we should start thrashing crazy bizarre minhagim
I read here about woman whose spouses are going off the derech ... and guess what ? It all starts with questioning minhagim ... we have a Torah we have an entire Shas Bavli and Yerushalmi ... and an entire Shulchan Aruch ... we don’t need to add to any of the chumrous already mentioned there ....and if your husband decides not to wear socks in a freezing apt tell him that I said that he shouldn’t pass that “minhag” to his boys

Wow this is disgusting and so disrespectful. And no I'm not chassidish in the least bit

Blidar,,,

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 9:03 am
nchr wrote:
I think you're speaking kofrus and should be thrown off this site. Do you have any idea how disgusting your comments are? Are you the same woman telling everyone to stop shaving?

I shave

nchr

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 9:04 am
Blidar - if you're chassidish and your husband and father went to chassidishe yeshivas they know about men sleeping without socks and with their feet not covered with the duchana.

Blidar,,,

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 9:07 am
nchr wrote:

“Kofros” is believing a Minhag was written in the Torah ...
If something like a mitzvah deRabannan has to be publicized that this is a mitzva deRabanan even though they is no difference in observing them how much more so a minhag ?
But to say a mitzvah that is deDrabbanan is written in the Torah is “kofros”
Page 7 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions