Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Sleeping with socks on not allowed?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 6:26 pm
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
My husband holds this way. Doesn't wear socks to bed and purposely leaves feet uncovered unless it's very cold. He also is makpid to sleep on his side

Thank you for being brave enough to post this.
It bothers me so much that people on here make so much fun of keeping chumros. Anything extra is wrote off as ridiculous.

Personally, I have heard of this before. I do not have a source. But honestly, I don't think random people are making this stuff up.

Have a little respect for people who value their Judaism even if it looks different than yours.

Edited to add: The hugs on my post and others who feel the same way prove my point.

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 6:38 pm
But why sleep with feet uncovered? Maybe he shouldnt wear pajamas?

sequoia

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 6:39 pm
What about the monster who will grab your foot if it’s uncovered?

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 6:40 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
It bothers me so much that people on here make so much fun of keeping chumros. Anything extra is wrote off as ridiculous.

Personally, I have heard of this before. I do not have a source. But honestly, I don't think random people are making this stuff up.

Have a little respect for people who value their Judaism even if it looks different than yours.

Some of us don't call this Judaism, that's the thing.

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 6:48 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:

So just because someone doesn't consider this to be part of Judaism for themselves, it should be belittled? And joked about?

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 6:52 pm
Delete

Last edited by amother on Thu, Dec 17 2020, 6:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 6:54 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
So just because someone doesn't consider this to be part of Judaism for themselves, it should be belittled? And joked about?

Is it any different than the constant MO bashing? I think it comes from all arenas. I've read threads where vegetarians were told they weren't living a frum life.

small bean

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 7:04 pm
I just asked my husband and he said he's never heard of not wearing socks or keeping one foot out of the blanket. Or to purposely keep cold while sleeping.

ExtraCredit

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 7:05 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:

I’m all for chumros and we also have many that others don’t.
That said, #1 I was waiting to hear whether it’s a Halacha or Superstition because I never heard of it and #2 I hate when people are convinced that if they do it, it’s a given that everyone else does. People who never heard of it find it very amusing just because it’s an interesting subject but you can and should stay confident with your minhagim and just knock the socks off everyone else💪🧦🧦!

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 7:10 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
Is it any different than the constant MO bashing? I think it comes from all arenas. I've read threads where vegetarians were told they weren't living a frum life.

No it is not any different. That is wrong too. But I was commenting on THIS thread and this comment seems to just be a deflection as far as I am concerned.

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 7:10 pm
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
My husband holds this way. Doesn't wear socks to bed and purposely leaves feet uncovered unless it's very cold. He also is makpid to sleep on his side

So does mine. We teach the children this as well.

DVOM

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 7:14 pm
Goodness.

I have never heard of this.

Our house is really old and really cold at night. My husband sleeps in sox. Plus he often uses an extra blanket. He doesn't like being cold in his sleep.

I'm finding this conversation a bit disturbing. Are men really being told to keep feet out of their blankets so they don't get too warm 🥺?

It sounds a bit extreme to me.

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 7:20 pm
I’m yeshivish and have never heard of this. DH is uncomfortable sleeping without socks, so he wears them every night.

Elfrida

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 7:20 pm
So having established that there may be some source/rationale for men not wearing socks to sleep in, does the same apply to women?

Can women wear socks and risk their body being warm, since it will not lead to the same effects as it may do in men? Or (since it does not seem to be universal and I'd certainly never heard of it) in communities where men may not wear socks to sleep in, may their wives, or is it preferable for them.also to have chilly feet?

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 7:41 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:

It is never appropriate to make fun of others chumra's. The least you can do is be respectful of all sects.

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 7:43 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:

I don't see constant MO bashing on here, I think MO are bashed least of all.

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 7:49 pm
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
I don't see constant MO bashing on here, I think MO are bashed least of all.

We will have to disagree, respectfully. As someone MO it feels constant

Frumme

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 7:56 pm
Hmm. I've never heard of not sleeping with socks in order to avoid wet dreams. In seminary we were taught that you shouldn't wear the same socks that you were in all day to bed (something about it causing someone to forget Torah, I think). You could wear a new pair to bed.

That being said, this thread explains why many people leave their feet uncovered on Yom Kippur (not wanting to have a nocturnal emission on the holiest day of the year). I just put two and two together....

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 7:58 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
It's fake Judaism.

It’s very ignorant, disrespectful to the Torah, not to mention rude to say that,
I just spoke to my Rabbi and he said it is indeedapplicable only to men but women are allowed.
Awaiting apology.

nchr

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 8:00 pm
Elfrida wrote:
So having established that there may be some source/rationale for men not wearing socks to sleep in, does the same apply to women?

Can women wear socks and risk their body being warm, since it will not lead to the same effects as it may do in men? Or (since it does not seem to be universal and I'd certainly never heard of it) in communities where men may not wear socks to sleep in, may their wives, or is it preferable for them.also to have chilly feet?

Women can sleep with socks. Men sleep without socks and with feet uncovered. We discussed this on another thread where posters jumped all over it.
Page 4 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions